cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Ideas on What to use to stop a cover from Tearing?

smcrea
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's time to install our cover after our last trip.

In the past we have tried all sorts of things to 'blunt' the corners and sharp edges to that the cover doesn't tear. We've used plastic balls to foam. All are a pin to install

Does anyone have any cheap and useful ideas on what to use?

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
down home wrote:
Only way I see feasible now are the metal pole frames with the material stretched over them. I can't think of the name or brands but failing a hard side garage it would seem a better alternative, depending on price.

I have not done this... but you could easily make a frame out of 3/4-1" PVC pipe to where it is wider, by a few inches over each side and end. Just make sure the pipe touching the roof is only the pipe and not connector pieces. Should be smooth /rounded enough to not cause issues.

I used 1-1/4" PVC, a few years back, to make a tent for my pontoon boat. When the daytime temperatures started hitting the 90's that PVC started sagging and formed into permanent bows. If you use PVC you will need to keep the unsupported lengths short.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
Mark all the sharp spots with white bar soap and bring to a canvas shop to have them sew in vinyl reinforcements. Mark on the outside and they will install on the inside.

I will be making my cover this January. I will be using Sunbrella and it will fit like a glove so no flapping at all. All wear points will have vinyl sewn in.

I make boat covers so this will be an easy job compared to them. It will be on the heavy side but should last at least 10 years.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
In all my years I have never once even considered a cover. My father-in-law made the mistake one year, against my better judgment, of putting a big blue tarp over his trailer. Yep rub marks all over the place come spring as well as mold everywhere. He now just leaves it out in the weather like we do. Give it a bath in the spring and hook up and go.

Why are you packing it up? There is still 2 full months of good weather and maybe even more. We always go untill the mast weekend in October. Thats when our favorite campground closes for the year.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Only way I see feasible now are the metal pole frames with the material stretched over them. I can't think of the name or brands but failing a hard side garage it would seem a better alternative, depending on price.

I have not done this... but you could easily make a frame out of 3/4-1" PVC pipe to where it is wider, by a few inches over each side and end. Just make sure the pipe touching the roof is only the pipe and not connector pieces. Should be smooth /rounded enough to not cause issues.
I love me some land yachting

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our cover made of the latest and greatest material still let moisture in. Sunbrella, I think. W padded corners wit thick old towels, a mistake, Green growth developed.
Wind was a big buga bo. It go under and up the sides billowing and stretching the material. Had to tighten the buckles underneath every little bit.
Newer ones have blow out panels, on sides to stop wind from as much damage.
Swimming noodles does sound good if there was a way to hold them on corners or perhaps a similar material in a sheet form.
My thoughts over time, is perhaps someway to tent the cover over the top and away from the corners. It would be super for cooling air circulation and keeping rubbing from happening on corners etc.
Only way I see feasible now are the metal pole frames with the material stretched over them. I can't think of the name or brands but ailing a hard side garage it would seem a better alternative, depending on price.

trainman6899
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
smcrea wrote:
In the past we have tried all sorts of things to 'blunt' the corners and sharp edges to that the cover doesn't tear. We've used plastic balls to foam. All are a pin to install

3 covers over 10 yrs, no rips or deterioration at all. I use foam pipe wrap over the gutter extensions and scrap pieces of Reflectix over all sharp corners, both held in place with super sticky Duct tape. Even easier though is indoor storage, as I did last winter. :W
feel your pain but gotta cover up in California weather especially summer, covers only last about three years no matter we try,pain in ... to put on but if ya don't weather destroys them, need to research all manufacturers for a soft inside lining so movement from wind will not rub off finish and it will,good luck

mike2wheels
Explorer
Explorer
I use pool noodles over pokey things like the CB antenna. I use a big cloth bag over the top of the ladder.
2005 Honda Gold Wing
2006 HR Endeavor 40PAQ

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pool noodles work for me.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
smcrea wrote:
It's time to install our cover after our last trip.

Thanks!

Sure, stop using the cover.

I personally never liked them. We had one for our TT and the cover burnished the paint from blowing in the wind.

Will never use one again.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
smcrea wrote:

3 covers over 10 yrs, no rips or deterioration at all. I use foam pipe wrap over the gutter extensions and scrap pieces of Reflectix over all sharp corners, both held in place with super sticky Duct tape. Even easier though is indoor storage, as I did last winter. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I used a cover years back I first put a cheap harbor freight plastic tarp over the roof before the real cover. the solar unit was what was hard on mine.
bumpy

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Last trip already??

I use foam pipe insulation. Cut up, folded over, I use the same pieces from one year to the next. Only takes 5 minutes or so to put them all on.