Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Technology To Save Lives. How Much Would You Squawk
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Technology To Save Lives. How Much Would You Squawk

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/17 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Have seen too many parents who have more children only to get fatter welfare checks.
And that has exactly what to do with this thread?

about as relevant as half of the posts. [emoticon]
bumpy

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see in today's WAPO a report titled "Driver in fatal Tesla crash too reliant on autopilot. NTSB says.
the article stated "collision mitigation systems do not reliably detect cross traffic".

yep, why worry about cross traffic. [emoticon]
bumpy

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to mention that the truck turning in front of the car didn't stop either. It wasn't strictly cross-traffic, it was a left turning truck.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if he hit the truck broadside, that would mean that the truck was in front of him and it didn't brake,etc.??
bumpy

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

if he hit the truck broadside, that would mean that the truck was in front of him and it didn't brake,etc.??
bumpy
Yes, very similar to what would happen if you had the cruise set at 74 mph, and a truck pulled out of a side road directly in front of you. The software acted very like a human in this instance, not a good thing.

OTOH the accident might not have occurred if the truck had also been driven by something other than an extremely fallible human.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

I see in today's WAPO a report titled "Driver in fatal Tesla crash too reliant on autopilot. NTSB says.
the article stated "collision mitigation systems do not reliably detect cross traffic".

bumpy

The Tesla report I heard says the computer took semi-trailer sitting above the ground as a road billboard.

[image]
[image]

OOOoops

doxiemom11

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many who have court ordered devices on their vehicles just get a friend to blow into it for them - and away they go. Also would want to make sure you don't use mouthwash or take any of the cold medications that have alcohol in them.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just visited a California DMV last week. Four and one half hours later I walked out without a renewed disabled placard. I was still an hour and a half away from P1032
Cardiologist came first.

That is one failed state...

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy

The Tesla report I heard says the computer took semi-trailer sitting above the ground as a road billboard.

[image]
[image]

OOOoops

obviously that billboard was at fault.
as stated OOPS
bumpy

RayJayco

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned, passengers would not be able to use phone either.

Perhaps sensors on the steering wheel. If 2 hands aren't on the wheel except for perhaps 15 seconds such as turning, might stop some of the texting.

Although talking on the phone is just as bad as texting as the majority of people can only concentrate on 1 thing at a time.
Start paying attention to people that are talking on phone while driving and you will see what I mean.

Before cellphones, we had enough problems with people talking in car, tuning radio, etc., now add cell phones... Some people seem to have to have a phone in their hand while driving.

Stiffer penalties for having a phone in your hand while driving, texting or talking. Treat the offense as a DUI as the results are about the same... JMO

As a note, here in FL anyway, they have sensors that can pick up particles of marijuana. It found particles on a dashboard of 1 of our trucks that couldn't even be seen. The same could be used on people suspected while driving.

Driving is a privilege, not a right...

Inquiring minds want to know...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Technology To Save Lives. How Much Would You Squawk
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS