Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Recommendations for a new trailer.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Recommendations for a new trailer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gibby_007

Whitby

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/17 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys looking for tips, we have never owned a travel trailer that wasn't parked in a park. Anyhow we would like to tour around a little more.

Family consists of myself , wife , 2 year old , another should be here next year....and a dog. We will be towing it with a 2016 Pathfinder SL that has a tow package.

We are figuring something with bunk beds and another bed for us. From all the looking I've been doing my top pick so far is the 2018 Apex Nano 193BHS. We like the slide to make it wider and the bunks are key. Any other advice or recommendations on others would be so greatly appreciated.

Thx. Sean

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/17 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is Pathfinder's payload, max tow and max weight at hitch? Wheel base is? I'm not a fan of single axel trailers...and you won't be when a tire blows. Black and grey tanks good at 30 gallons each not so with fresh water. Thirty isn't enough for four dry camping.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/17 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the 3 things we need to know are;
Unladen weight of vehicle
Gross vehicle weight rating
Tow capacity
While your tow rating may be adequate you will probably run out of GVWR before you get to the maximum tow capacity.
This info can be found on a sticker on the vehicle driver side door area
A quick check shows an unladen weight of about 4350 lbs and a GVWR of about 5990 so that give a cargo capacity of about 1640 lbs. So now add your weight, wife's weight, child, dog and anything else you plan to carry in the vehicle. subtract that from your cargo capacity and you have an approximation of the tongue weight your car can handle. Tongue weight is between 10 and 15 percent of trailer weight/ the trailer you have in ind has a hitch weight of about 465 lbs unladen (as you put stuff in the trailer the hitch weight should increase)so you are good to go as far as towing is concerned.

* This post was edited 08/16/17 10:08pm by darsben1 *

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/17 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would get more help if you posted in the Travel Trailer forum, instead of the Class B forum.

I think the 2016 Pathfinder tow capacity is 5,000 lbs, so you want to stay around 4,000 lbs for a fully loaded trailer.
Looks like the trailer gvwr is 4,600 lbs. so you are at about the max for the Nissan.
You will have to watch you're weights pretty close..
It's not just what you can tow, it's what you can tow safely. I like to stay about 20% below my tv max capacity. My 2011 V8 Pathfinder's tc is 7,000 lbs, and I want to stay around 5,600 Ibs towing.

* This post was last edited 08/17/17 12:26am by My Roadtrek *   View edit history

ctilsie242

Austin

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/17 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the Pathfinder offer a transmission cooler? If not, towing will reduce the life on it quickly. You also need towing mirrors as well.

jarata1

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/17 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure that setup will work weight wise

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/17 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biggest problem I see is the hitch weight, 406 lbs dry. When you add LP, battery, etc it could easily be 550 lbs. if the fresh water tank is under that front bed and you fill it, more like 650 lbs. Oh, and for a 22' TT you will want a good sway control hitch like Equal-i-zer oe Reese Dual Cam... add another 90 lbs for that hitch.

Nope. Find a TT with less than 350 lb dry hitch and under 20', then you can get by with a simple friction sway bar, and although the rear end will sag you could be ok.

BTW I towed 140k miles with a 2008 Highlander, which is similar to the Pathfinder, but max trailer length was 17' and max hitch weight 425 lbs loaded.

Take a look at KZ Sportsmen Classic 150bh or similar. If Whitby is in Ontario, look for a used Taylor Coach.

* This post was edited 08/17/17 10:21pm by rexlion *

Mike G.
--currently in between trailers--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/17 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Pathfinders are Unibody construction, and not as good for towing as the old Body on Frame.
Plus the Pathfinder is too short for your desired trailer, and I agree, you should stay under 20' total length.
I dont think you will find a trailer that fits your needs that the Pathfinder can tow safely.
You need a new tow vehicle.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/17 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't think this is what new member Gibby wanted to hear from us.

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/17 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better to find out now than later.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Recommendations for a new trailer.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS