cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Worth buying a Hymer Sunlight and upgrading it?

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
The Hymer Sunlight, which is sold at CW is an interesting model. First, it has a very low price, likely in the 55k-ish range when all is said and done. However, you do get what you pay for, as per the YouTube reviews.

There are a few major downsides to the van:

• Combined black/gray tank, 23.1 gallons.
  • Trim is "meh" at best.
  • No onboard generator, it uses a secondary alternator.
  • Has a funky, folding wood divider between the bathroom and the rest of the van.
  • No rear backup camera.

The combined tank isn't too bad an item. The backup camera can likely be wired in. The wood divider can be removed, and a shower curtain placed there. Since the van uses an inverter, the A/C hits the inverter with the locked rotor amps, and not the alternator/generator upstream. This means one can get away with using a 2000 watt inverter generator to run it, so when boondocking, the generator can be placed well away from the van to minimize noise and vibration.

The main issue I'm concerned about is how the plumbing/electrical/appliances will last.

The trim level is of an entry level class "C", or a trailer. A concern, because a class "B" isn't something that you keep for 5-10 years then have hauled to the town dump like one does with most new trailer brands. However, it seems decent, especially for the price range.

I wonder what other people think. For me, adding a Honda generator to keep it powered while boondocking isn't that big a sacrifice for a "starter" class B, which won't depreciate much, especially here in Texas, where ten year old T1N Sprinters still sell for for 50k+ at PPL.
  • 39 REPLIES 39

hoosiermark
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Went to see a Banff and noted that mumkin was right, there quality is better. But I went to a dealer that just starting carrying them so they did not really know much about the units. The quality was better though but not enough in my mind to justify the close to $70K I got the impression in would take to buy it. It was equipped like a V2 model. Yesterday I went and looked at a used 2017 Travato model. As my wife said using an old phrase, this is like looking at a caddilac (sp?) compared to a chevy. So many nicer features and fit and finish was so much better. But I noted it does not have side camera for turning. My Honda has that and it really spoils you when changing lanes. Lots to think about ...

mumkin
    Explorer
    Explorer
    CW still has some of the old original Sunlights that should be very cheap since the build quality was so abysmal. If one is able to do their own upgrades, they may be worth it.

The Banff is, of course, the same unit, but they have upped their game... fixing most of the worst issues with the Sunlight.

I can't see justification for the price hike, but you would need to be comparing the equipment. Solar? Lithium battery? Underhood generator? Does it have a backup camera? OEM u-connect?
    Mumkin
    2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
    2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
    2015 Roadtrek 170
    2011 LTV Libero
    2004 GWV Classic Supreme

hoosiermark
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Went to a Hymer dealer yesterday to see the Banff as mumkin suggested. Sure looked like the new Sunshine model. It was a 2018 and had solar power, macerator pump plus some plastic skirts along the sides that raise up to access various connections. The dealer is to have the Hymer rep provide all the upgrades compared to the Sunshine to justify the price. Under the bed on the drivers side the panel was marked no storage. But when I lifted it up there was nice space all blocked off that was roughly 18 x 18 x 18. The other side has one long cover that lifts up to reveal that long storage area. Why they did not put doors on it or at least cut the lift up panel to allow easy access like under a dinette does not make sense, especially in a B. I am strongly considering trying to pick up a 2017 basic model from CW as a family tester. I see there are still some offered for $55K. I figure start calling around and see if $50K out the door will interest a sales manager needing to unload one. As my buddy says- offer it, all they can do is say no, they are not allowed to shoot you. I want to see if I and my adult children will use it. I figure I can upgrade it with some better features (better storage access and trim pieces, etc) plus if the newer models keep going up, my downside loss should be reasonable as RV ownership costs go. Some people will always want/need a lower price unit if I decide to sell. I will either love it and want to keep it or upgrade to a better unit or learn that it is too confining for my taste and sell it.
    When I was talking with the dealer about the $83K msrp price I said I did not see a big value increase over $55K for the basic model even if he would sell at $65K He stated his cost was more then $65K and could not sell for that. Seems like he will have a hard job competing with CW on price points.

mumkin
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Just like most RVs, the MSRP is a first offer to start negotiations. Anyone who pays it is very likely new to the RV market. The only things selling near or at MSRP are top of the line conversions like Leisure Travel.
    Mumkin
    2015 Roadtrek 170
    2011 LTV Libero
    2004 GWV Classic Supreme

magicbus
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Has anybody be asked for an actual price quote? Unless they are as substantial as Winnebago gave us I think you would be better off spending a bit more to get a lot more. As an Era owner I'm obviously biased, but $80K seems like a lot for only 17 feet and a couple of other missing items.

Dave
    Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
    Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
    Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

mumkin
    Explorer
    Explorer
    They have fixed a number of the issues found on the van1... still pretty basic.

Personally I would go over to a Hymer dealer and look at the Carado Banff... same vehicle, but not CW.
    Mumkin
    2015 Roadtrek 170
    2011 LTV Libero
    2004 GWV Classic Supreme

ctilsie242
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Looks like the Sunlight V2 is out. Not much difference it seems, except a price bump to the 60-70k range for advertised prices.

Bumpyroad
    Explorer
    Explorer
    hoosiermark wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone on the forum has bought a Hymer sunlight and how they like it.

I looked at one. didn't buy one
    bumpy

hoosiermark
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Just wondering if anyone on the forum has bought a Hymer sunlight and how they like it.

mumkin
    Explorer
    Explorer
    The engine needn't run ALL the time... only if you have an excessive need for 120v power. It comes with lots of battery power (most seem to have the lithiums), so perhaps only at times of extreme heat to run the AC. Your batteries will even handle a short microwave run.

I've read various comments on fuel usage when idling to use this. Some say it uses less gas and it is certainly much quieter and dependable than an Onan.
    Mumkin
    2015 Roadtrek 170
    2011 LTV Libero
    2004 GWV Classic Supreme

hoosiermark
    Explorer
    Explorer
    So then you need to let the engine run all the time? That does not seem to be fuel efficient but it probably would not get that much use anyway. Apparently the engine is not hurt by running in place for a few hours. I just saw camping world has black friday specials of less then $50K on them. If they had better workmanship it would be really tempting.

mumkin
    Explorer
    Explorer
    It is a second large alternator... such as used in ambulances. To use it, you run the engine. No exercising or special service required. I love mine. (will NEVER own another Onan)
    Mumkin
    2015 Roadtrek 170
    2011 LTV Libero
    2004 GWV Classic Supreme

hoosiermark
    Explorer
    Explorer
    I notice that Hymer offers a generator as an option. If I remember correctly it says it is under the hood and 12 volt. I am familiar with power invertors and standard generators but this one is a new one. Anyone know what type of generator they might be referring to? It seems like they may just be running the vehicle engine to create the power with an invertor.

Bumpyroad
    Explorer
    Explorer
    stopped by McGregors friday and looked at sunlight. list is $20,000 less than the winnie. the winnie looks about $40,000 better . ๐Ÿ™‚
    had some laminate that was peeling off already.
    bumpy