2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS
14 REPLIES 14

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
With it deployed, it looks just like a high buck retractable awning. In fact, it is, minus the retraction mechanism. Mine has the mounts on the camper body for the stays (just like the high buck ones do and the all aluminum tensioners as well. Only difference is retraction is via arm strong and price. An automatic awning is a couple grand. A 'bag' awning is a couple hundred.

'Bag' sounds tacky I admit, but the price of admission offsets the tacky.

My unit came with the extruded awning rail but you can buy the extruded rail that the awning fits is, cheap. In fact, I'm considering adding one on the opposite side of my TC.

I was thinking another one on the other side too. i added a gutter/awning rail to the other side too.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
With it deployed, it looks just like a high buck retractable awning. In fact, it is, minus the retraction mechanism. Mine has the mounts on the camper body for the stays (just like the high buck ones do and the all aluminum tensioners as well. Only difference is retraction is via arm strong and price. An automatic awning is a couple grand. A 'bag' awning is a couple hundred.

'Bag' sounds tacky I admit, but the price of admission offsets the tacky.

My unit came with the extruded awning rail but you can buy the extruded rail that the awning fits is, cheap. In fact, I'm considering adding one on the opposite side of my TC.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Yellowstone recently and saw an F150 with a Lance 650. Pretty good looking rig. Yes, I was surprised.

Rick

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is too. Kind of hard to stow but worth the hassle. We set the chairs under it and hang the Coleman Lantern from one end. Just keep the zipper lubed with wax and you'll be good. Friend of mine with one of those electric deploy and store awnings had a arm fail and is now waiting for a replacement and it's not under warranty. I bet the arm cost as much as our complete awnings did.

I can do manual over electric anyday.
2015 Backpack SS1500

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
i finally got to use it last week at Poppy mountain. All I can say is it was handier than a pocket on a shirt.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
dahopkins wrote:
That is a great looking setup you have!!

Thank you
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:
wvabeer wrote:
I was able to mount to the body. ๐Ÿ™‚

Out of curiosity, how is that model truck camper? That seems to be the only one out there for a half-ton, and I wonder how the bathroom and other basic everyday camping stuff.

It's a 2015 livinlite camplite 6.8C 6.8 layout the bathroom in the 15 model is a wet bath, no sink ,my toilet is a Thetford cassette. I changed the seat to a dinette.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
wvabeer wrote:

Out of curiosity, how is that model truck camper? That seems to be the only one out there for a half-ton, and I wonder how the bathroom and other basic everyday camping stuff.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I've considered something like that on my enclosed trailer to keep the cost down. I also had a bag awning on my popup tent trailer.

I like mine. Got it from RV Wholesalers last winter on sale. The awning rail was already installed on my Palomino but you can buy the extruded rail in any length you want.

In many ways, much better than the roll (crank) up hard cased one I had on the Lance. No hornet nests to deal with. Looks the same deployed too.

Think I paid around 225 bucks delivered.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Bedlam
I've considered something like that on my enclosed trailer to keep the cost down. I also had a bag awning on my popup tent trailer.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

dahopkins
Explorer
Explorer
That is a great looking setup you have!!
David
2005 Jayco Eagle 301
2005 GMC 2500 Crew Cab
Yahama Generator EF3000iSEB "Natural Gas, Low Pressure Propane & Gasoline"

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
That works. I mounted both of mine (sockets) to the main side so my poles are even. I pre pained mine in gloss black instead of the supplied silver, thought it would look better, all the trim on mine is black. Not sure what you put between the sockets and the camper body (my brackets had no sealant on them, I used some Butyl tale sealant between the bracket (socket) and the Filon body.

You'll still have a height to reach the bag to close and open it issue unless you are really tall. You'll need a shot step ladder like a Little Giant, which can double for an entry step if you don't have a bumper type step.

I don't believe bag awnings are popular on TC's, mostly meant for tent campers but, I had a Carefree roll up (crank handle) awning in a self closing hard case on my Lance that was nothing but a Yellowjacket / wasp haven. Everytime I unrolled it, I had to have a can of Black Flag with me.... and they ain't cheap either.

Other nice thing about yours is, it's on the fridge side so it will keep the sun off the dark filon, lowering the radiated heat and making your fridge run more efficiently. Good deal.
2015 Backpack SS1500

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice. I have one as well. Makes a great place to sit out of the sun and a nice spot in the evening (with the addition of a Coleman gas lantern).

Mine camper is longer (I have an 8 foot bed) so I was able to attach the lower brackets to the camper body, consequently, I use them when deploying the awning rather than using the 'carport' position. Not an option for you unless you attach one of the brackets to your passengers side door...

8 foot beds do have an advantage.

You might get away with attaching a bracket to your running board below the door and the other too the camper body, just a thought. The extension arms are very adjustable.

Another ting you might want to do is lubricate the bag zipper with some sort of lubricant (I use serving wax which is for bow strings and comes in a stick, available at any sporting goods store). Makes the zipper much easier to deal with....and

You'll need a ladder to get to yours to stow it. I have mine on a PUP so I can reach it pretty easy.

Mine is the same color. A nice (much less expensive) option to a roll up awning and your TC like mine, ships with the rail already attached.
2015 Backpack SS1500