cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flex armor sprayed on roof

bobrizer2
Explorer
Explorer
While traveling down the interstate in central Florida, the glue on my rubber roof let go on half of the roof and blew off and we had a tropical depression coming. What to do... Since we are full timers we were in a real pickle. I looked on the internet and found a company called Elite RV that installed flex armor lifetime roofs near us. They couldn't get us in for about 2 weeks for a new roof, but said to come in and they would try to make us water tight until then. Well what ever they did worked because it rained 12" in 24 hours and never leaked a drop. We have since had a new polyurea roof sprayed on and it's beautiful and tough as nails, has a lifetime warranty and the best part is I never have to get on the roof to caulk again. The cost was about the same as a rubber roof. I wonder why manufactures aren't using this process as it is superior to rubber.

If you are ever in need of a new roof, as I was, I highly recommend it. Just be aware there is another product out there called rv armor. It is a different product altogether. It is rolled on rather than sprayed, and is a much thinner covering. The flex armor is nearly 1/4 " thick. The rv armor may be a fine product, I don't know, not having any experience with it, but I can tell you I am impressed with the flex armor.

Bob the Bear
20 REPLIES 20

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
johndeerefarmer wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
The sprayed on RV FlexArmor roof as being discussed here is, as of last January, $130 per linear foot. For a 30 foot RV such as ours, it would have come to $3900.

We had an appointment with Elite RV in Palmetto, Fl. last November to have the roof done but had to cancel because we needed to replace our refrigerator when we arrived in Tampa for the winter. I have since re-done the roof myself, with the help of my son and grandson, as posted about here and posted follow-ups
here and here.
Barney

I just got a quote for Flexarmor for $185 foot from DFW Roof in Denton TX. Not sure I am willing to pay that.

DFW Roof did our Jayco 1 1/2 yrs ago. Great bunch of folks to work with. If I bought another rv tomorrow would book a new roof with them, it's the best roof for a rv you can get.IMO.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nope. It is starting to crack and I am having to fill them with Dicor or use a short piece of Eternabond tape.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
I wish I had had the FlexArmor done 4 or 5 years ago when I had originally scheduled it in Florida. My roof needs attention again but the trailer is now permanently parked. Guess it is time to investigate RV Armor instead or FlexArmor since they will come to our location.
Barney

What you used (even with the second application) didn't hold up?
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wish I had had the FlexArmor done 4 or 5 years ago when I had originally scheduled it in Florida. My roof needs attention again but the trailer is now permanently parked. Guess it is time to investigate RV Armor instead or FlexArmor since they will come to our location.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Flex Armor has a lifetime warranty that is transferable. The cost includes removal/replacement of all rooftop accessories and panel replacement where necessary. Great for resale value. I doubt weight is even an issue.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
bobrizer2 wrote:
I wonder why manufactures aren't using this process as it is superior to rubber.

It's all about saving money for manufacturers. It's much more labor to install the spray on coating, let the unit sit on the assembly area for who knows how long while they wait for it to cure. That drives up the cost of the unit.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
The sprayed on RV FlexArmor roof as being discussed here is, as of last January, $130 per linear foot. For a 30 foot RV such as ours, it would have come to $3900.

We had an appointment with Elite RV in Palmetto, Fl. last November to have the roof done but had to cancel because we needed to replace our refrigerator when we arrived in Tampa for the winter. I have since re-done the roof myself, with the help of my son and grandson, as posted about here and posted follow-ups
here and here.
Barney

I just got a quote for Flexarmor for $185 foot from DFW Roof in Denton TX. Not sure I am willing to pay that.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We just had ours done this summer in Mesa,Az. at APR RV. Itโ€™s not cheap....but we think it was worth the cost, if you want a superior roof and will keep the unit a long time. Iโ€™ll let you know in about 20 years. Michael (APR RV) was great to work with. He can also help you get your dual pane windows repaired if theyโ€™ve lost their seal. My only possible negative comment....if it is snow covered, โ€œit is slick as owl snot on a door knobโ€! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Getting on top to clear snow... will age you rapidly. Or possibly stop the aging process! :B
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

MrWizard
Thanks Rincon

Three kits, would do 40 ft RV, no problem doing a 36 ft

Except for so the labor removing all the stuff on the roof
Which has to come off , even for new rubber

In fact remove a/c unit's, install new vents, cover vent caps, spray roof,
Vents bases are permanently sealed

Or do it the old fashion way, spray roof, then install new vents

Thanks for the idea, who knows what next year may bring
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Got it done. Haven't used rv since though.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Before and after images...this is all I have since I was the person doing all the spray work.

I hope this works for your situation.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Rincon.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I personally sprayed a family members's 14' pop-up roof with hail damage early this year with T-Rex White Bed Liner (Speedoliner) with an 8 qt kit and supplied sprayer. The most difficult part was waiting for our high output Bosch compressor to keep up pressure.

Results were...and remain...spectacular.

Weight addition? Are you kidding? NON-ISSUE.

Did I make that clear enough?

The kit of 8 bottles and sprayer was much less than 80lbs.

Once applied and cured...the material weighs even less.

Seriously, weight should not be a concerns when considering this option.

But cost should be!!!

We paid $200 for the kit of 8 bottles to cover the 14' popup roof with a thick layer. Amazon.com. Ebay. Same deal.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:

here and here.
Barney
I guess the Flex Armor has gone up in price. I was quoted $160/ft and $130 for the other. I can see where location would play in, but I'm getting mine done in Mississippi, which I would think would be as cheap or cheaper than Florida.