cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New high (or low?) in overloading

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I had seen it all when the guy a couple blocks away purchased a 10K+ GVW 34' travel trailer to tow behind his '06 Tacoma quad cab 4x4 truck. In traffic the other day, I see a Mini Cooper in front of me. Mounted on the back was a weight distributing hitch ball mount. Didn't know anyone made a 2" receiver hitch for that little car. Would love to see what he tows with it, as long as I am not on the highway at the same time. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400
29 REPLIES 29

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
DaveF-250SD wrote:
P.S. My signature seems to have vanished. My truck is a 2004 F-250SD Super Cab short bed 4x4, V-10 with 4R100 transmission.

Good for you for helping him !

FYI, your signature only appears on the first post you put on a page.
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice! Good Job helping out your neighbor and giving them an eduction. There is the the right tool for the job. And thankfully, that education is only costing your neighbor a transmission and a small upgrade. As popular as Taco's are right now his education probably cost a lot less than a lot of peoples.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
Update on the guy. He got a 2004 F-250 SD V-10 crew cab short bed 4x4. He found one with 89,000 miles on it. Probably the lowest mileage one in the country. I joked with him that he must have got it in Hawaii. He got it in the Los Angeles area. Both he and his Wife thanked me again, and he mentioned that they were both very impressed with how my same year F-250 Super Cab truck pulled his trailer. No more white knuckle voyage of the damned set up like they attempted to use initially.

EstorilM
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
DinTulsa wrote:
I'm not the weight police for sure, but that is plain ridiculous with the Tacoma. Some of the fault is on the dealership as well. They should be more responsible and tell people no.

Why should it be the dealers responsibility? How does the dealer know if you have a dusky at home or not?

Funny you mention that - my dealer wouldn't let me touch it till the saleswoman drove my rig around the local streets a few times. It seemed like more of a common liability procedure, but clearly she (and the old-school scruffy techs that prepped the trailer) had to idea that LRs are good TVs. I finally got her to admit how effortless the rig was, and I went on my way. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyways that's insane, I didn't see a bump up in ratings for the tow package, just the all-around 3500lb rating. Tundra is one thing, taco is another! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

I must admit though, my girlfriend had a 2008 Frontier w/ tow package that hauled my ~4800lb (loaded w horse and gear) large featherlite 2h like there was nothing at all behind it. I think we got it on an interstate once for a show and it felt a little more loose than my TV, but for local roads and stuff it did fine.

Clearly this is a totally different situation, just the thought of towing a TT like the one above with her truck makes me want to puke. I mean that's so over-loaded I'd be shocked if things literally didn't start to break!

edit: wrote this yesterday at work and forgot to send, just read the update... can't say I'm surprised at all - ouch! In 1st or 2nd I feel like you should be able to tow a house (albeit slowly). Usually power is the least of your problems, this was probably the safest failure of that particular rig that I can envision. Sounds like he's learned a lot, so that's good.
2016 Springdale Summerland 2570RL Arctic
2006 Land Rover LR3 V8 HSE | OE tow pkg & air suspension

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
What a great neighbor!

Although the transmission problem on a planned camping trip stinks, you handled it with CLASS! You came to get him and his family, made sure his truck was towed, brought his camper home, and talked respectfully and kindly to him about the differences.

Whatever truck he upgrades to, it should be better for he and his family now and in the future.

...and I was concerned the world of "being neighborly" was fading away :E

Good show! :C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So much for the park model theories! You nailed that one on the head! Good fortune for him that someone was able to bail him out without any issue. Good job!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
Update on the Tacoma guy. Early yesterday morning he set out for a 55 ish mile trip to Lake Isabella on Route 178. This road goes over Walker Pass, about 5,000 feet elevation, starting from our town's 2,300 foot elevation. Not a steep grade by my definition, but I do not know the percent of grade off hand. About two thirds of the way up,he lost his transmission. Apparently the vehicle was only able to achieve 14 mph in first gear at wide open throttle heading up. Way too much trailer for his truck, like I told him prior to his trip. He called his neighbor, who is a friend of mine, and in turn called me. I went to his location, and we blocked and unhooked his trailer. Then I pulled his truck out of the way. He called for a tow truck for his pickup when he saw me coming up the road. I hitched his trailer to my 2004 F-250 in my signature. He, his Wife and two under 10 year old kids, along with Lucy their French Bulldog got in my truck. We waited a while for the tow truck to come for his Tacoma. After he exchanged information with the tow truck guy, we headed for home. That trailer is LONG, but my truck did an awesome job and it was a great trip home. The gentleman and his Wife were very impressed with the power and stability of my truck. I educated them as best I could during the ride back about having the right truck for the trailer they are towing, and I could tell it was sinking in to them. He said outright that when he gets his Tacoma back from having the transmission rebuilt or replaced, he is going to sell it, or trade it towards a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab 4x4 pickup. In a way I look at it as a blessing that their rig did not make it to the top of the pass, as it has sharp and steep switchbacks going down the west side. The trailer could have possibly pushed him around those like a rag doll, which could have easily resulted in them losing control and crashing. Grateful for the happy and safe ending for them, though. P.S. My signature seems to have vanished. My truck is a 2004 F-250SD Super Cab short bed 4x4, V-10 with 4R100 transmission.

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
DaveF-250SD wrote:
Thanks, Old Biscuit. Now I have the overwhelming desire to go out in the desert near my house and re-enact the opening scene from The Rifleman. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ever count the number of rounds he clips off?

But tube only holds 11

Ever count how many times he recocks it....(moves lever)

Not 13 or 11 :H

I thought he ***** the lever ten times. My Marlin 1894S .44 Magnum rifle holds ten in the tube.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
DaveF-250SD wrote:
Thanks, Old Biscuit. Now I have the overwhelming desire to go out in the desert near my house and re-enact the opening scene from The Rifleman. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ever count the number of rounds he clips off?

But tube only holds 11

Ever count how many times he recocks it....(moves lever)

Not 13 or 11 :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bedlam
And I have desire to seat a steak on the grill. Must be lunch time...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
DaveF-250SD wrote:

Not wanting to be branded as the weight police, but that is too heavy for his truck.

Too Late....you have joined the club by posting

As a member in good standing I hearby declare you

It's a good club....Welcome :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Did you actually see him towing it? I gotta wonder if he's planning to move it to a seasonal spot?

Earlier this year I got into a traffic jam on I-43 on the north end of Milwaukee county on my way to work. It was down to one lane because there was a Kia Soul laying on it's side still connected to a 16ft travel trailer also on it's side. Couldn't tell if it had a WDH but I suspect it didn't, and it wasn't safe to take a photo. What people think they can do!
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I had a very similar Rockwood behind a Silverado 2500 4WD, short box, ext. cab. You know all that bull about, "hardly know it's there?". Well I knew that there was nearly five tons of dead weight stuffed into a 35' box, hanging off the tail of the truck, every moment I was behind the wheel. It was certainly safe, but it sure slapped the truck around on occasion. As for even attempting the same with a Tacoma, that will not end well.