Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: TT cover question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT cover question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
danimal53

Chicago, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

had our TT for 3 years now, and decided against using a cover. i live near Chicago, so we see some pretty cold weather and sometimes a good amount of snow. maybe i was sold some BS, but on purchase we upgraded to a 5yr warranty which included "ResistAll" treatment. supposed to protect from UV damage and other elements. after 3 years now, no graphic fading/peeling, exterior still looks like new. I do have wheel covers and a spare tire cover. Otherwise I just leave it out in the elements. I remember reading on these forums the last time this topic came up, the dealers store them all on outside lots without covers. Not judging those who choose to cover, but I decided it's not for me.

2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danimal53 wrote:

I remember reading on these forums the last time this topic came up, the dealers store them all on outside lots without covers.

Obviously. [emoticon] What dealer in his / her right mind would invest in hundreds of covers and have to pay staff to install & later remove each cover when the entire purpose of the business is to sell lot stock as quickly as possible? Hardly a rationale for an individual owner to not use a cover. [emoticon]

danimal53

Chicago, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

danimal53 wrote:

I remember reading on these forums the last time this topic came up, the dealers store them all on outside lots without covers.

Obviously. [emoticon] What dealer in his / her right mind would invest in hundreds of covers and have to pay staff to install & later remove each cover when the entire purpose of the business is to sell lot stock as quickly as possible? Hardly a rationale for an individual owner to not use a cover. [emoticon]

i'm just saying if they sit out in the elements on dealer lots, and still look like new, reason enough for me. not talking about whether it makes financial sense. just saying i dont want to use one, or see a need myself.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 11:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danimal53 wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:

danimal53 wrote:

i'm just saying if they sit out in the elements on dealer lots, and still look like new, reason enough for me. not talking about whether it makes financial sense. just saying i dont want to use one, or see a need myself.

Still an irrelevant argument since the goal of any dealer is to move lot stock as quickly as possible, in which case none of it will be on the lot long enough for exposure to the elements to matter anyway. It follows therefore that one's own reasons for using or not using a cover has absolutely nothing to do with why dealers don't cover their own lot stock. [emoticon]

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I went over to my storage area yesterday with my 8 foot step ladder to check on my - read it - covered - TT after the hurricane. I disconnected one strap so I could open the zippered panel and get inside. I've been using the same ADCO cover since I bought the TT new in 2012. Everything looked good inside, but since there was a lot of tree debris on the roof, I wanted to inspect the rubber for tears.

So I removed the cover in about 20 minutes, and low and behold, no tears, and the roof was as white as it was from washing it after our last trip in August.

Now I'm not saying the cover protected it from getting stabbed by a tree limb but it did protect it from getting dirty. I can also report there were no black streaks - unlike the uncovered units around me.

While off, I inspected the entire TT top to bottom. I can say that my paint is not being worn off by rubbing, holes are not being poked into it from protruding objects like gutter spouts, and it is not being ripped to shreds due to wind - hurricane force at that. Why? Because I read the directions and know how to secure it and protect it from those protruding objects. I periodically check it to ensure the straps do not loosen - they do.

I took another 30 minutes and recovered it, to keep it clean for our upcoming fall trip. The amount of work required to keep it clean may be considered by some as a downside, but not to me.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

The amount of work required to keep it clean may be considered by some as a downside, but not to me.
Me neither...mine is getting covered.

The argument that a dealer doesn't cover the units is a bogus one. Most boat dealers don't cover boats either but if you let one sit in the sun a coupe years, the upholstery would be trashed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT cover question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS