Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: TT cover question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT cover question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/17 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are about 2 months into owning our TT and loving it. Anyone use or have opinions on RV storage covers. I would love to have a more permanent enclosure from the weather but that ain't in the budget. Its a 33 footer. As always thanks for the help.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/17 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cover mine when at home base for sun protection...no snow here. With my good collapsible ladder I can put it on by myself without going on the roof. Safer too. Easier with two people and two ladders however. I uncover my solar panels near the front every couple of weeks to top off the batteries. That's easy too.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/17 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well worth it in my opinion but this is the kind of question that brings out the kind of people who will go negative because they dont have one and are antagonistic towards those who do. It's really quite strange.
Our experience; After 13 years our last TT still looked like new and the graphics were perfect because I kept it covered during the winter months.
The last winter I finally tossed the cover because it was nasty and we were selling the TT. During that time it aged considerably - especially the roof.
Because of the cover, we got thousands more for it than we would have if it looked like all the others I found on-line.
The only time I would not recommend one is if your in a very windy location. Otherwise it money well spent.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/17 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pros and Cons for using them. I've done both.

To cover or not to cover depends upon how you plan on using your camper. If you plan on using it often, then covering and uncovering is a LOT of work. But after a time or two, you figure out how to do it, it's easier, but still a lot of work. If the trailer sits long term, it's not bad to do once a year.

To cover or not to cover depends upon your location in which your camper is parked. If you are parking your camper under trees where birds, tree droppings are always making a mess, then covering is good. Better a $300 cover get nasty than a $3000 roof.

To cover or not to cover depends upon the climate condition where you park your camper. If the camper is subject to high winds with sand, then covering is a good thing. If in the baking sun, covering is good. If buried in the snow, ice, freezing, covering is a good thing. Covering helps protect the UV rays from cracking graphics and fading paint.

The number 2 downside of covering is the potential for the cover to rub the RV and rub the paint and graphics until there's nothing left. In order for them to work well, they have to be drawn very tight so there is no movement, even in the hardest of wind. Any rubbing will leave it's scar very quick.

Number 3 downside: The corner rain gutters will punch holes in the cover if they are not dealt with. If you radio antenna is on top of the trailer, you have to remove it, or tip it down to cover. Batwing antenna has to be protected or it can get caught in the cover and damaged when working with the cover.

Number 4 downside: If you plan on accessing the camper when covered, you can. They come with zipper doors. But things will need to be loosened up first (possible rubbing can occur). If you plan on using it when covered, the furnace, water heater, and refrigerator cannot be turned on, or it will burn the cover, as they need outside ventilation.

If none of the "down side's" affect you, then cover if you need protection of the elements, tree and bird droppings, wind sandblasting, and sun UV rays.

I've done both, covered and uncovered. And the driving factor for NOT covering any more is because we use the camper too much, even in the winter with snow on the ground. Uncovering with a foot of snow on top of the cover is not something on my list I want to do.

Campers are made to stay in the elements. Covers just keep them from getting so dirty. That's the advantage.

DutchmenSport

Observation: The older I get, the less important it is to "get there". What's now important is to enjoy everything along the way getting there.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/17 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Pros and Cons for using them. I've done both.

To cover or not to cover depends upon how you plan on using your camper. If you plan on using it often, then covering and uncovering is a LOT of work. But after a time or two, you figure out how to do it, it's easier, but still a lot of work. If the trailer sits long term, it's not bad to do once a year.

To cover or not to cover depends upon your location in which your camper is parked. If you are parking your camper under trees where birds, tree droppings are always making a mess, then covering is good. Better a $300 cover get nasty than a $3000 roof.

To cover or not to cover depends upon the climate condition where you park your camper. If the camper is subject to high winds with sand, then covering is a good thing. If in the baking sun, covering is good. If buried in the snow, ice, freezing, covering is a good thing. Covering helps protect the UV rays from cracking graphics and fading paint.

The number 2 downside of covering is the potential for the cover to rub the RV and rub the paint and graphics until there's nothing left. In order for them to work well, they have to be drawn very tight so there is no movement, even in the hardest of wind. Any rubbing will leave it's scar very quick.

Number 3 downside: The corner rain gutters will punch holes in the cover if they are not dealt with. If you radio antenna is on top of the trailer, you have to remove it, or tip it down to cover. Batwing antenna has to be protected or it can get caught in the cover and damaged when working with the cover.

Number 4 downside: If you plan on accessing the camper when covered, you can. They come with zipper doors. But things will need to be loosened up first (possible rubbing can occur). If you plan on using it when covered, the furnace, water heater, and refrigerator cannot be turned on, or it will burn the cover, as they need outside ventilation.

If none of the "down side's" affect you, then cover if you need protection of the elements, tree and bird droppings, wind sandblasting, and sun UV rays.

I've done both, covered and uncovered. And the driving factor for NOT covering any more is because we use the camper too much, even in the winter with snow on the ground. Uncovering with a foot of snow on top of the cover is not something on my list I want to do.

Campers are made to stay in the elements. Covers just keep them from getting so dirty. That's the advantage.

Yeah, I never experinced any of those cons but there are certainly some valid points there.
And I disagree that campers are built to be in the weather. They're built like junk and the weather ages them faster than using them.
Like anything else, the more you keep sun and rain off them the longer they will last and look like new.

YMMV

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/17 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the covers, but my real world experience is they last about 3 years (and yes I bought the good ones) and then they're toast. I have never seen one (my own or anyone else's) that lasted much past 3 years. That being said, it's worth it to me for the approximately $75 - $100 per year I spend. Your results may vary.

If you use a cover make sure it's a breathable one.

wireman

MURRIETA CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/17 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://classicaccessories.com/rv

My preference. Save a lot off list price on Amazon.

I've tried numerous brands over the last 20 years and as stated 3 years is about max.

I'll keep covering as long as I can make it on the roof and feel safe.

Best one's are custom made and use the best materials. Never been that route. To many $$$$$.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/17 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used our TT cover because it helps keep the ice and snow from direct contact with the roof. It also keeps the dirt, leaves and pine needles off the roof.

The problem is we sometime leave for a week or so in the winter so we have to remove it.

Last year we parked the TT in November, then spent two week in FL in January, then went to KY in April. The weather in IN was mild so the cover was never installed.

I have found that proper fit and foam padding on sharp points such as the gutter tubes is very important.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/17 12:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am picking up my new travel trailer in a week and I am going to make my own cover out of Sunbrella. The cover I made for my boat 15 years ago is just nearing the end of it's life.

Yes, the cover will be heavier than most covers but it's going to fit like a glove and will have vinyl protection sewn in at all rub points. I will add vent material so that moisture can get out.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/17 01:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

I like the covers, but my real world experience is they last about 3 years (and yes I bought the good ones) and then they're toast. I have never seen one (my own or anyone else's) that lasted much past 3 years. That being said, it's worth it to me for the approximately $75 - $100 per year I spend. Your results may vary.

If you use a cover make sure it's a breathable one.

I have been using the same ADCO cover, All climate designer series with tyvek which I paid about $270 for, on 2 different trailers for the last 6 years. Its on the trailer from mid Dec until Apr 1 in PA winters. No rips, tears, or any other problems. I have had up to 2' of snow on it at times.

2017 Rockwood Roo 23WS
2013 Keystone Passport 235EXP
2011 Aerolite 185E
2010 Palomino Y4124

2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.0 DCLB Z71
2013 F150 XLT RCLB 5.0 4X4

I'll be sending you a box in the mail!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT cover question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS