Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Pets- unpopular viewpoint
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Pets- unpopular viewpoint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Redwoodcamper

The real norcal

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Full agreement here. I have a well trained respectful dog that adds to the camping experience. I get so frustrated at people with untrained animals. They give good pet owners a bad rep.

2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

NCWriter

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/17 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a mostly-deaf person who gets by through reading lips and the help of a Hearing Dog trained by Dogs for the Deaf, I agree that the notion of taking emotional support dogs into public places illegally is unfortunately on the increase.

My dog sticks quietly to her job but has been treated to incessant yapping by a poorly-behaved dog while going through airport security, while walking through a cruise ship restaurant, and in numerous other places where only trained service dogs should be present.

People rushing up out of nowhere to grab at or pet the dog without inquiring first are a constant issue for service dog teams just trying to go about their business. Happened again this morning while I was standing in line talking to the receptionist in a doctor's waiting room, then later while seated.

Campgrounds don't bother us much because we expect to see numerous pet dogs. Most are pretty harmless but all should be leashed, and people need to pick up their dog's droppings, for crying out loud.

2013 Itasca Navion IQ 24G

cmeade

Kelseyville CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/17 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the OP. I had a fully trained Doberman who passed in 1999. For the most part adults would respect her space but kids were very careless around her. She was a very loving dog and never had a problem with kids but I was probably more alert if she would have gotten "serious" when around kids. She would pee and poop on command and the best dog to take rving. Never had to roll up windows and lock doors with her around.

PUCampin

Castaic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/17 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like many situations, the laws and definitions exist, it's all about enforcement. I am all for dog friendly places where it is not a health code violation such as in non food selling stores if they choose, restaurant patios if they choose, and more dog friendly parks and beaches. But some people are ignoring the law and using fear of confrontation and offence to abuse legitimate situations.

A service dog can be looked at as a living, breathing assistive device for someone with a disability. Service dogs are sometimes compared to wheelchairs in their ability to help their disabled partners live more independent lives. Since service dogs are not primarily kept for companionship, they are not considered pets.

The Americans with Disabilities Act essentially requires three things for a dog to be a service dog. First, the person helped must have a life-limiting disability. Second, the dog must be trained to recognize and respond to the handler’s disability by doing either work or tasks. Third, the dog must not cause a disruption in public, otherwise the dog can be legally excluded. Service dogs must be both housebroken and leashed except when the dog needs to be off-leash to provide disability-related work or tasks.

Any other animal, comfort, emotional support animal, etc, IS NOT a service animal and IS NOT afforded the same access a service animal is.

I too have seen a significant uptick in people bringing dogs places they should not, mainly the small ones that can be carried. Owners blatantly carry these animals into stores, grocery stores, restaurants, and other places where they are health code violations. The managers of these locations are often afraid to confront and offend the dog toting individual, however you do not see comfort dogs at places that are not afraid to enforce like Disneyland.

If it is obvious a service dog is acting as a service dog, users should not have challenges to their access. If a dog’s service dog status is not obvious, a business cannot ask about a person’s disability or require work or task performance or documentation of any kind, but may ask only two questions to figure out whether the dog is a service dog:

1 Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
2 What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

As a society, we have become so afraid of offending others, and feeling like we have the right to not be offended, that some people are willing to disregard the rules because no one will stop them.

2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!)">

Me"> DW"> and the 3 in 3 ">
DD"> 2006, DS "> 2007, DD "> 2008

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALL I need for my dog to be 'allowed'

AS a Responsible dog owner I HATE the easy availability of 'service vests, ADA Cards, Patches (In training, Emotional Support etc)
and cringe everytime I have to 'share' my eating experience with the fakes.
Unfortunately Business Owners can only ask 2 questions
1) Is this a Service Dog (PET etc....be it a dog, pig, chicken)
2) What 'tasks' does it preform

Lie and business owner has no choice.

Handicap Parking, Medical MJ, SSD.........way too many 'scammers'

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

jake2250

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the problems I see is,, Adults not teaching there children to be cautious when approaching a dog!! To many times I have had to raise my voice to smaller children running up to pet my dog an a leash!
Even my dog does not appreciate that! It scares him and creates an uneasy situation! My dog would never bite a child, but he has No Idea what their intentions are!
Ask me First if its ok to pet my dog!

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/17 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit,

Thank You and I agree fully. In the past month or so have seen businesses with signs "...SERVICE Dogs Allowed --- Comfort/Anxiety Dogs are Not..." Next time I will get a photo. It is about time. JM2¢

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/17 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a dog lover and dog owner and I totally agree with the OP. Our dog isn't t used to children or other dogs approaching her, since we live a quiet, rural area. . When in a campground we follow all the rules and hope other do the same. It's the small percentage of dog owners that ruin it for the rest of us. A few campgrounds we've been to have a dog owners section, and you must keep your dog within the boundaries. It's a shame they have to do this, but I totally understand. Too many times while walking my own dog on a 6 ft. Leash, I've had dogs rush out and scare us both. "Oh, don't worry, they are very friendly!!" (I don't care, keep your dogs leashed)

Nancy, Doug and Penny (the Boston)
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW
2012 Ford 350 4 door crew cab Diesel SRW King Ranch

tunaguy

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me start by saying I am a dog lover and never could be without one or hope not to have one, they do help when you are having a bad day. But could not agree more, dogs at The Grocery store, Home Depot, etc. Buying a service dog sweater on line, does not a service dog make. I am always outraged by people not picking up after their animals nor having them on leashes. It makes it hard on the ones that do follow the rules. Much like food stamps and welfare, too many that should not be getting them.

Rant

Jeff

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stefonius wrote:

Jayco-noslide wrote:

First, we do not dislike dogs per se. We used to have one and several family members have really cute, friendly dogs. Now the "however" part. Wife and I feel our culture is increasingly moving toward "dog friendly" to the excess and that we have to start speaking up for the segment of the population that do not feel dogs should be allowed in stores, restaurants, etc. OK for seeing eye dogs on a leash but not for other companion types of dogs. You should not allow your dog to go up to someone just assuming they will want to make over it unless invited. Dog should always be leashed in a campground, pick up all waste and it's the owner's responsibility that the dog does not bark often whether owner is present or not. I could go on. We realize most owners are responsible but too many are not in campgrounds and other public areas.
I feel the exact same way about small children. [emoticon]

X2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Pets- unpopular viewpoint
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS