Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Pets- unpopular viewpoint
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Pets- unpopular viewpoint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, we do not dislike dogs per se. We used to have one and several family members have really cute, friendly dogs. Now the "however" part. Wife and I feel our culture is increasingly moving toward "dog friendly" to the excess and that we have to start speaking up for the segment of the population that do not feel dogs should be allowed in stores, restaurants, etc. OK for seeing eye dogs on a leash but not for other companion types of dogs. You should not allow your dog to go up to someone just assuming they will want to make over it unless invited. Dog should always be leashed in a campground, pick up all waste and it's the owner's responsibility that the dog does not bark often whether owner is present or not. I could go on. We realize most owners are responsible but too many are not in campgrounds and other public areas.

Jayco-noslide

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog owner here....You have made some good points.
We are fine with dogs in campgrounds as long as the owners follow the rules....leases AT ALL TIMES and poop pick up EVERY TIME.

Agree, too many dogs in stores and restaurants...The new scam is, "comfort dogs."

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax LBZ
Blue Ox SwayPro

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a dog lover and own two - and agree with you, mostly from the standpoint that there are people who are terrified of dogs, or allergic to them, etc.

On the other hand, I think that *most* dog owners are polite and understand that not everyone wants to meet their pooch. The obnoxious ones are the most noticeable simply because all the other dog owners and their pets are running beneath the radar?

Cybergrunt

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it accurate to assume that by specifically mentioning service dogs for the visually impaired ("seeing eye dogs"), you meant to include all service dogs as clearly recognized under the ADA (Federal law)?

2001 Coachmen Catalina 248TB
5880 GVWR 3768 UVW 4980 GVW 650 Tongue weight
2013 F-150 XLT
V8/5.0/3.55/4WD, integrated TBC, Husky WDH (round bar)
USMC (Ret.) - SEMPER FI!

Stefonius

Levittown, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

First, we do not dislike dogs per se. We used to have one and several family members have really cute, friendly dogs. Now the "however" part. Wife and I feel our culture is increasingly moving toward "dog friendly" to the excess and that we have to start speaking up for the segment of the population that do not feel dogs should be allowed in stores, restaurants, etc. OK for seeing eye dogs on a leash but not for other companion types of dogs. You should not allow your dog to go up to someone just assuming they will want to make over it unless invited. Dog should always be leashed in a campground, pick up all waste and it's the owner's responsibility that the dog does not bark often whether owner is present or not. I could go on. We realize most owners are responsible but too many are not in campgrounds and other public areas.
I feel the exact same way about small children. [emoticon]

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, STL County, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/17 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

....You should not allow your dog to go up to someone just assuming they will want to make over it unless invited. ...

Interestingly, I have always had an inverse problem. Sitting at our campsite or walking our dog(s), people approaching us without asking in order to see and/or pet our dog(s).

Some of your other points I agree with, some others I do not. C'est la vie. [emoticon]

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 4 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006
2013 KZ Durango D295CS 5th wheel
2013 Silverado HD 6.0L

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/17 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We realize most owners are responsible but too many are not in campgrounds and other public areas.

I agree with your points about respecting others, etc. but there will always be those with disrespectful behavior. Most restaurants have very strict guidelines as to where dogs can be and most stores make it perfectly clear they are dog friendly. If it bothers you just avoid these businesses just like you avoid campgrounds that have policies you don't like. The issue isn't the business allowing it but the people who do not respect others.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

evanrem

WI

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a dog and agree with everything you said. Not an unpopular view point in my book. My wife on the other hand might have a different outlook on it. It is always a point of contention between us about leashing out little dog in the campsite.

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/17 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My beef are relatives/friends that visit and insist on bringing their not well trained dogs into our nice home or RV. I stop them in their tracks.

Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOTLDaddy wrote:

Jayco-noslide wrote:

....You should not allow your dog to go up to someone just assuming they will want to make over it unless invited. ...

Interestingly, I have always had an inverse problem. Sitting at our campsite or walking our dog(s), people approaching us without asking in order to see and/or pet our dog(s).

Absolutely. Too many adults these days without any impulse control. They just walk right onto my site, or come up to me while I'm out walking and want to interact with my dog.

These adults don't train their children either, that often come running towards the dog. Their favorite parts to pet are always the eyes and mouth, I don't know why.

This was very hard for my senior citizen dog. He really loved people, but as an old man was quickly overwhelmed by the attention, especially ill-trained fchildren that would circle the dog, approaching from all direction.

* This post was edited 08/26/17 10:11pm by an administrator/moderator *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Pets- unpopular viewpoint
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS