Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Trip from SW OK to Milford, MI
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Trip from SW OK to Milford, MI

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Debbie

Altus,OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/17 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok we are planning to drive with 5th from SW OK to Milford, MI. We will be leaving around the 11th getting to MI 14th leaving 18th. Then thinking of heading to the west side of state and spend a few days.
Then working our way either to Omaha, NE or working our way back home. Looking for nice places to stop along the way. No children, one sm. dog. Any suggestions would be grateful Thanks.(we do need electric)
We have found some pretty nice campgrounds from suggestions on the RV net.

Randy - Retired KC135 pilot, currently C-17 Instructor
Deb - Indep. Beauty Consultant MK
2016 32RS,Palomino - Columbus, Air ride pin box.
2002 2500 3/4 ton Chevy,Duramax,Banks Exhaust, K & N filter,short bed.

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/17 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder which month you are visiting Michigan?

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/17 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The following state parks are right on the lake shore. Ludington, Muskegon Hoffmaster. Forget Grand Haven SP unless you like parking in beach sand with no trees.

Debbie

Altus,OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/17 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mfan wrote:

I wonder which month you are visiting Michigan?

September sorry - leaving Altus,OK the 10th heading to Milford, MI arriving around the 14th-leaving 18th. We use to live in Oscoda, MI. Have been to Traverse City area, and dunes, north all the way to Canada. Haven't been south of TC. Also considering heading south out of Detroit/Milford not go to Omaha and just head south-west working our way back home.

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/17 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mentioned dunes. Have you thought about maybe going to Silver Lake sand dunes? They are west of Hart and there are multiple private campgrounds in the area and 1 state park

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/17 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF you want DUNES, go see the best, go see the bear, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. The park service runs a little campground nearby named the Platte River Campground.

Muskegon State Park is set in some very nice dunes as well.

There's also the NORDHOUSE Dunes, which are CRAZY BUSY all summer long. There's no (close) RV camping, very little parking and huge crowds. These are some of Michigan's oldest sand dunes, and this small portion of shore has never seen any form of commercial development. It's very pristine and relaxing, if you tune out the crowds.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Debbie

Altus,OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/17 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No I don't want Dunes. I met we have already been to Sleeping Bear Dunes when we lived there.

sdianel -acct closed

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/17 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like Lake Fort Smith State Park in Arkansas. We also like Sam A Baker State Park in Missouri. Then to miss St Louis, we would go east to I-57 in IL and stop at Rend Lake near Benton IL. There are several Corps of Engineers campground and also Wayne Fitzgerald State Park on Rend Lake. We prefer South Marcum Campground. Closest to I-57. Farther north at Shelbyville IL is Forrest W "Bo" Wood Campground. Farther off I-57 but worth it.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/17 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Milford go to Collesanti's Market on Milford rd north of town. Fantastic place. The best imported/craft beer selection along with a huge wine selection. The meat/deli counter is wonderful and the home made deserts are to die for. The produce is good too.

Debbie

Altus,OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/17 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you sdaine and ken58. We will for sure check out the market. I think we are going to try and book Camp Dearborn for Milford looks like the closest with Water and Electric. And to the rest of family who live in Dearborn Hts., Livonia, Novi. Thanks Lonny and Diane. I'm now going to check these state parks and campgrounds out. We have found some nice COE parks. Last year we discovered COE in Ozark, Arkansas nice.

Ken58 Looked up Collesanti's Market, never knew it was there. Made my mouth water just looking at the pictures. All we have in Altus is Walmart. Our saying is if Walmart doesn't have it you don't need it today! We miss the specialty shops. Thanks

* This post was edited 08/07/17 06:32am by Debbie *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Trip from SW OK to Milford, MI
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS