cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip from SW OK to Milford, MI

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Ok we are planning to drive with 5th from SW OK to Milford, MI. We will be leaving around the 11th getting to MI 14th leaving 18th. Then thinking of heading to the west side of state and spend a few days.
Then working our way either to Omaha, NE or working our way back home. Looking for nice places to stop along the way. No children, one sm. dog. Any suggestions would be grateful Thanks.(we do need electric)
We have found some pretty nice campgrounds from suggestions on the RV net.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
23 REPLIES 23

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Okay we stayed at camp Dearborn. We had full hookup, we camped from Wednesday to Monday. Filled up a little on the weekend. I'm sure during the summer it gets pretty busy with family and kids it's a camp. For us it worked out fine. We were close to relatives in Milford. Sites were nice not on top of neighbors. Pretty with all the trees starting to change color. We then stayed at Harrisville State Park right on Lake Huron. It was real nice. Now we are in Petosky at Magnus Park. We have a great view of Lake Michigan nice bike path or walking.

Next I'm looking for a place for one or two nights sw Michigan. Then a place for Illinois or Iowa heading to Omaha, NE. Can anyone suggest any sighting places that might be of interest. Thks

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks wing_zealot

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the state parks on lake Michigan are ok. Typically the sites are smaller but the West side is very popular. Getting sites for the weekend in those SP's could be difficult, you should try to make a reservation now don't wait. Private parks are also possible. Check Here for some possibilities.

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We will be taking I-44 an staying at one of the places suggested around Rolla. Then staying around or pass Indianapolis I-69. and up to Milford,MI. Question for Michigan people. We are staying at Harrisville SP Leaving Sept. 20 then going to head to the west side of the state to visit Lake Michigan. We have camped at Traverse City, and Holland. We have 6 days then we have to be in Eastern Iowa, so we can be in Omaha,NE by Sept. 27. Just adults. 1 sm. pet., no child. Any certain little towns to see, or places to visit? Thanks again

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Dearborn is fine, don't worry. We stayed there last Memorial weekend, no issues at all. It's just like any other park, it all depends on your attitude and the random neighbors you get. There is a large middle eastern population that attends this campground. As a generalization, they have large families and speak loudly. This can be a shock to some that are used to different populations.

Bring your bikes. There are absolutely wonderful biking trials that connect for miles. Camp Dearborn connects directly to the trails. There are beautiful paved trails, you could go for miles if you're so inclined.

Be sure to stop by Kensington metropark (if you don't ride your bike there). I see more wildlife on a daily basis at Kensington than I do in the Smokies.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
The following state parks are right on the lake shore. Ludington, Muskegon Hoffmaster. Forget Grand Haven SP unless you like parking in beach sand with no trees.

South Haven has nice wooded campsites and short walk to the beach. I've enjoyed it the 2 times I've been there and usually go right after the Indy 500. It is down the beach from a Nuke plant and test siren goes off on Weds noon.

South Haven is a great town to visit. Curve Inn is really good bar & grill right on the Blue Star Highway close to the park entrance. Saugatuck also a nice visit. Lots of Chicago $$ resorts, shopping and haunts.

SH is one of my favorite campgrounds.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Well we ended up making our reservations for Camp Dearborn even though the reviews. We didn't have much of a selection. My sister stayed there during the summer. They don't have children, she said it was busy and a little loud with kids and people enjoying summer. They used it the same way we are going to use it. For a place to park our rv to sleep. Because we will be visiting relatives. I'll let you all know how it was. We will be staying there mid Sept. and mid week so I don't suppose it will be too bad with kids back to school. I do use rvparkreviews a lot when planning vacation and post reviews. We have been lucky over the last 40 years of camping we have only a few problems and most of the time it wasn't a campground it was an inconsiderate camper next to us.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
drsteve wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
I've never read any reviews on Camp Dearborn but I have been there at least once a year over the last 5 years and never experienced any of the stuff reported by drsteve (not sure if he is saying those things happened or if he is repeating reviewers that say it happened).

We are actually going to Camp Dearborn ourselves in mid September (second time this year). I have never had a problem there. I've also been to Haas Lake and never had a problem there either. I like camp Dearborn because it's reasonably priced, bathrooms are clean, there is a lot of stuff you can do there, good sized sites, just all around nice facilities. I guess my experience has been different that what drsteve experienced (or is repeating from somewhere else).

I have never been there. Like many people I rely on reviews to get an idea about a facility. Looking at multiple review sites reveals about 5 terrible reviews to every 1 who says it is OK. That's not a good ratio.

The occasional poor review is often from a disgruntled customer who thought they deserved special treatment, or didn't like being told to follow the rules. When a large majority of the reviews are bad, there might be something to it.
I have a little different feeling about reviews. If you're mad and pissed off at someone, whether it's reasonable or not, you are likely to do your best to get em! - in this instance leaving a bad review. If everything goes swimmingly, your likely to do nothing. The could make the bad to good ratio 500/1, you have no way of knowing (which is probably closer to the truth then the 5/1 you cited).

The only reviews I take any interest in at all, is when the review is a solicited reviews. For instance, when I make a major purchase at Walmart, Lowes, etc., a few weeks after they will send me an email soliciting my comments and make it easy for me to respond without taking a lot of time. A solicited review means you get the good as well as the "out to screw you disgruntled", and they can verify that you indeed are a purchaser (i.e.: actually stayed there). This also gives them an opportunity to "get out the other side of the story", make improvements when needed, and right a wrong when warranted.

I don't read one sided reviews when the other side has no chance for input or opportunity to make things right - to me they are worthless. Everyone is entitled to their own way of doing things, that's just mine.

Preferably, y'all keep away from Camp Dearborn (especially in mid-September) (they got bad reviews), I like that idea the best.

Most review sites have ways of filtering the one-off bad reviews, like requiring reviewers to sign up, and they allow park owners to answer reviewers.

But, 500 to 1? No park even has 500 reviews, good or bad. Most reviews of most parks are positive, BTW. Your contention that only angry customers write reviews is wrong.

If you like Camp Dearborn, that's fine. Maybe you should write a review. You can sign up here:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
I've never read any reviews on Camp Dearborn but I have been there at least once a year over the last 5 years and never experienced any of the stuff reported by drsteve (not sure if he is saying those things happened or if he is repeating reviewers that say it happened).

We are actually going to Camp Dearborn ourselves in mid September (second time this year). I have never had a problem there. I've also been to Haas Lake and never had a problem there either. I like camp Dearborn because it's reasonably priced, bathrooms are clean, there is a lot of stuff you can do there, good sized sites, just all around nice facilities. I guess my experience has been different that what drsteve experienced (or is repeating from somewhere else).

I have never been there. Like many people I rely on reviews to get an idea about a facility. Looking at multiple review sites reveals about 5 terrible reviews to every 1 who says it is OK. That's not a good ratio.

The occasional poor review is often from a disgruntled customer who thought they deserved special treatment, or didn't like being told to follow the rules. When a large majority of the reviews are bad, there might be something to it.
I have a little different feeling about reviews. If you're mad and pissed off at someone, whether it's reasonable or not, you are likely to do your best to get em! - in this instance leaving a bad review. If everything goes swimmingly, your likely to do nothing. The could make the bad to good ratio 500/1, you have no way of knowing (which is probably closer to the truth then the 5/1 you cited).

The only reviews I take any interest in at all, is when the review is a solicited reviews. For instance, when I make a major purchase at Walmart, Lowes, etc., a few weeks after they will send me an email soliciting my comments and make it easy for me to respond without taking a lot of time. A solicited review means you get the good as well as the "out to screw you disgruntled", and they can verify that you indeed are a purchaser (i.e.: actually stayed there). This also gives them an opportunity to "get out the other side of the story", make improvements when needed, and right a wrong when warranted.

I don't read one sided reviews when the other side has no chance for input or opportunity to make things right - to me they are worthless. Everyone is entitled to their own way of doing things, that's just mine.

Preferably, y'all keep away from Camp Dearborn (especially in mid-September) (they got bad reviews), I like that idea the best.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:

1991 Palomino Filly PUP

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Missouri: Bennett Springs SP is 12 miles north of Lebanon, MO. It is a nice trout park. Get supplies in Lebanon or town of Bennett Springs.
Onondoga Cave SP is about 7 miles South of I-44 at the Leasburg exit.
Get supplies in Leasburg.
Illinois: Ramsey SP is 13 miles north of Vandalia, IL, nice small state park. Get supplies in Vandalia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Debbie wrote:
Thank you sdaine and ken58. We will for sure check out the market. I think we are going to try and book Camp Dearborn for Milford looks like the closest with Water and Electric. And to the rest of family who live in Dearborn Hts., Livonia, Novi. Thanks Lonny and Diane. I'm now going to check these state parks and campgrounds out. We have found some nice COE parks. Last year we discovered COE in Ozark, Arkansas nice.

Ken58 Looked up Collesanti's Market, never knew it was there. Made my mouth water just looking at the pictures. All we have in Altus is Walmart. Our saying is if Walmart doesn't have it you don't need it today! We miss the specialty shops. Thanks

Camp Dearborn gets some pretty bad reviews. Quiet time is not enforced, overcrowded, lots of rowdy behavior, indifferent staff, etc. Proud Lake Recreation Area is nearby, but has only electric. Haas Lake RV Park sounds nice, but I have never been there.

Clicky

Just read your post. I was getting ready to make reserv. at Camp Dearborn and the reviews are terrible. I guess it will be Hass Lake not much else around. Hass they say the roads are bad. Not much of a choice. Thanks

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Debbie wrote:
Thank you sdaine and ken58. We will for sure check out the market. I think we are going to try and book Camp Dearborn for Milford looks like the closest with Water and Electric. And to the rest of family who live in Dearborn Hts., Livonia, Novi. Thanks Lonny and Diane. I'm now going to check these state parks and campgrounds out. We have found some nice COE parks. Last year we discovered COE in Ozark, Arkansas nice.

Ken58 Looked up Collesanti's Market, never knew it was there. Made my mouth water just looking at the pictures. All we have in Altus is Walmart. Our saying is if Walmart doesn't have it you don't need it today! We miss the specialty shops. Thanks

Camp Dearborn gets some pretty bad reviews. Quiet time is not enforced, overcrowded, lots of rowdy behavior, indifferent staff, etc. Proud Lake Recreation Area is nearby, but has only electric. Haas Lake RV Park sounds nice, but I have never been there.

Clicky
1991 Palomino Filly PUP