cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Expedition as a dinghy

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
So we have our Class C being built and looking for a toad. We currently have a 2011 Expedition EL which works get for our extended family. I understand that Expeditions 2015 and later can be flat towed. Assuming I can find a good used one, what recommendations would you make for setting this up as a toad.
Researching on line, it looks like I would prefer to to use a either the Air Force One braking system or the Stay-in-Play Duo System. The Air Force requires taping into the coach air system but the Duo creates its own air. Then I found the ReadyBrute Elite system which is a surge braking system and comes with everything except the base plate.
Will welcome any suggestions to help me make the correct decision.
Thanks,
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition
7 REPLIES 7

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an update. I was able to trade my 2011 Expedition for a 2016 Expedition with only 42,000 miles. It is very easy to put into 4 down towing mode. Had it set up with a Blue Ox base plate and a Ready Brute Elite tow bar and braking system. Tested it out using a pick up truck and everything seems to work well. Leaving Monday for Elkhart to pick up our new Ghost. Not excited about towing the Expedition home on our first drive of the RV but it allows us to take out a lot of stuff to outfit the RV.

Wish us good luck.

Thanks
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
2016 Ford Expedition

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
The only one I would look at is the Air Force One. It is a great set up and EZ to hook up and made for air brakes. Everything is under the hood out of the way. We tow the Ford Edge and it is a great tow rig.
I have the roadmaster set up with the BlackHawk 10k tow bar with the cross bar for the Guardian rock shield, Tow Defender.
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/brackets/bracket_type.html#xl
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/vehicle_guide/tow_bar_brackets.php
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
It was a tough decision. From a room pov, a Class A gas would be preferable but from a driving perspective, the drive and ride of the Ghost was amazing. We were trying to stay at 26,000# GVW or under. The only Super Cs which I could find that qualified were the Isata 5 and the Ghost. Could not carry enough stuff in the Isata but certainly can in the Ghost. Got a break when they decided for 2018 to move to the 360 Cummins from the 325 Cummins.
Nexus has just announced they are moving from the "factory direct" concept to a dealer concept September 1. We might be one of the last direct customers.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
2016 Ford Expedition

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update, I assumed you were having a regular sized Class C being built; with the Super C you won't have any problems. They are sure nice and I like them better than Class A units.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Islandman wrote:
The Expedition seems a little big to be towed by a Class C, are you sure your new motorhome's engine and transmission are up to the job?

It's a super C built on a medium duty truck chassis. I couldn't find exact towing specs, but a 20,000 lb. capacity hitch is an option. I imagine that an Expedition will be well within that motorhome's towing ability.

Thanks, it's one of the reasons we decided on the Ghost. 2018 models have the 360hp Cummins with the 3000 Allison. Tow rated to 20k but we are only getting the 10# hitch which does not hang down as low.

The Expedition EL shows at 7,000#.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
2016 Ford Expedition

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Islandman wrote:
The Expedition seems a little big to be towed by a Class C, are you sure your new motorhome's engine and transmission are up to the job?

It's a super C built on a medium duty truck chassis. I couldn't find exact towing specs, but a 20,000 lb. capacity hitch is an option. I imagine that an Expedition will be well within that motorhome's towing ability.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Stay-N-Play system on our Class C Coach House and like it real well, big thing is that there is nothing sitting on the floorboard or under the seat of the dinghy which gets in the way when you want to disconnect and drive it. The Expedition seems a little big to be towed by a Class C, are you sure your new motorhome's engine and transmission are up to the job?