cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning black streaks

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone out here have a tip for removing the black streaks that all campers seem to get after sitting for a while?

I've tried:

Magic Erasers
Simple Green
Soap
Citrus cleaner
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
37 REPLIES 37

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
...I wouldn't ever use it again on any trailer as preventing it from touching the graphics would be pretty difficult, if not impossible.

I used a spray bottle and only small areas at a time.

I had the misfortune of my diesel TV misting oil on the camper. NOTHING else I tried would touch it. Acetone, Cleaner wax, Simple Green, Dawn. Even with lots of elbow grease.

Awesome spray on, wipe off in about 10 secs, took it ALL off without rubbing. Boy did it collect oil and dirt on the rags, though. Had to be vigilant to keep flipping and swapping rags.

Afterwards we washed with dawn in a spray nozzle on the hose and sponges and wand (like a normal wash), then after drying used wax.

It did a very nice job. I didn't use Awesome on the rubber roof and didn't leave it on the surface very long. Maybe that is an important note to mention?

In any case, I now carry a bottle with me in the storage compartment. After this weekend I shouldn't have any more oil mist, either. Win-win in my case :C

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
This summer I had on hand Purple Power and Simple Green, tried them both on the black streaks, they removed roughly 90% of the streaks. Just for giggles I went to the Dollar store and picked up a small jug of Totally Awesome after hearing all the raves about it on the forum. Tried it out and got the same results as the other 2 colors. My trailer is solid fiberglass as opposed to Filon or whatever they are using these days, it may make a difference.

Used some Meguiar's paint cleaner to remove the rest, of course I then had to wax the spots.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GaryS1953 wrote:
Another vote for Totally Awesome! Works great for us on our 1996 Coachmen. There may be better stuff out there, but it ain't a dollar a bottle, and probably doesn't work much better.

SoundGuy wrote:
Yeah, Totally Awesome will strip anything ... destroyed the graphics on our previous KZ Spree, won't ever use it on our current trailer. ๐Ÿ˜ž

DiskDoctr wrote:
Avoid graphics, or only a few seconds then wipe off. For some reason blue isn't color-fast with Awesome, but usually I do the graphics lightly and quickly, then longer on the other surfaces.

I haven't tried it as a decal remover. With your experience on your graphics, what do you think about that use?

I've never had the need to intentionally remove graphics but Totally Awesome sure did a number on my Spree's, noticeably fading the graphics in large, uneven streaks and although they never showed any signs of coming off they sure looked awful. I still have a supply in my workshop but I wouldn't ever use it again on any trailer as preventing it from touching the graphics would be pretty difficult, if not impossible.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I only chimed in because I didn't see this

Starbrite black streak remover....spray on, wipe off
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good cleaner wax should take them off. After that apply an even better sealant or pure wax like Meguires Flagship. With that as a base any more streaks that appear come off easily using any decent auto wash that does not remove the wax.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
GaryS1953 wrote:
Another vote for Totally Awesome! Works great for us on our 1996 Coachmen. There may be better stuff out there, but it ain't a dollar a bottle, and probably doesn't work much better.

Yeah, Totally Awesome will strip anything ... destroyed the graphics on our previous KZ Spree, won't ever use it on our current trailer. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Avoid graphics, or only a few seconds then wipe off. For some reason blue isn't color-fast with Awesome, but usually I do the graphics lightly and quickly, then longer on the other surfaces.

I haven't tried it as a decal remover. With your experience on your graphics, what do you think about that use?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GaryS1953 wrote:

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
My RainKap system stops 100% of black streaks from roof runoff. It also prevents/reduces greatly any black streaks from things like windows or wall fixtures even after 6 to 8 months between normal washings.

Larry
I followed Larry's lead this year. Will be interesting to see how many less streaks will be there when I pull the trailer out this spring. I usually use Simple Green, which does require a little elbow grease but does clean the streaks off. Maybe I'll try one of the other products mentioned in this thread. I do know that magic erasers don't touch the streaks on my trailer.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
An RV tech told me that it is butyl caulk (or tape) that causes the black streaks.

-Speak

I have a white truck that sits outside. After a while it will have black streaks on it. No butyl tape, caulking or rubber roof. It must be the dirt in the air that we breathe.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of Bar Keepers, Spray & Foam, All Purpose Spray, or one of the soft cleanser? I've only used the dry cleanser.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

wcrobins
Explorer
Explorer
I just ran into the BEST way!!! DH was cleaning with official Black Streak cleaner. I got out my Bar Keepers Friend bottles and handed it to him to just try. It was amazing!!! No scrubbing!! He wiped it on, and wiped the black streaks off!!!

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Anyone out here have a tip for removing the black streaks that all campers seem to get after sitting for a while?

I've tried:

Magic Erasers
Simple Green
Soap
Citrus cleaner

We use Awesome from the dollar store, puts to shame all the so called specialty products for black streaks.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
steve-n-vicki wrote:
X3 on awesome cleaner

Gotta be careful with Awesome. I used it on an older aluminum sided trailer that was also oxidized and if you let Awesome sit on the paint too long, it will actually dissolve the paint.

"Seconds" is how long it should be on the surface ๐Ÿ˜‰

FYI. It did take Blue (only blue) off the swoops in our decals. Not enough to affect the decal, but enough to wipe onto the white fiberglass. Gotta be careful with stuff like that ๐Ÿ˜‰