cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Building a Ford F-150-HD payload?

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I've been on the Ford website a couple times to build the F-150 that I'd be interested in but I can't seem to find any choice for payload or GVWR? Maybe I'm missing it? Anyone else notice this? I've checked the HD towing but I don't think that increases payload.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel
54 REPLIES 54

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
Another update due to recent addition of 5 Star's 91 octane Perf/Tow tune. Otherwise truck and trailer the same as before. I'm up to 25k miles on it, and have towed the big hauler some 3500 miles, with another 1500 miles on my little (2000 lb) trailer.

This trip was with the toy hauler loaded to about 8k, 4 people, and 3 dogs in the bed. I'd say 15k lbs total gross.

Did 850 miles round trip Portland, Or to Eureka, CA. Perfect weather both directions - sunny, calm. cool. Truck ran awesome - smooth and powerful as usual. Very low stress towing with this rig. To be honest, I didn't feel that much of a difference with the tune power-wise. These things make so much power stock that another 50 hp and 75 lb (guessing) isn't that noticeable. I will say that their 91 Perf tune is a monster, but not designed for towing heavy. I did notice differences with their trans tune - shifting is better: quicker and firmer. And, they totally lock out 9th and 10th gear - you will not go into them at all while in Tow/Haul mode. Not sure I like this - I can use 9th on occasion.

Some numbers:

7.5 MPG round trip (it's a hilly drive - lots of 6%-7% grades up and down)
19.3 PSI max boost
4650 max RPM (downhill - never got above 3500 uphill)
232 max coolant temp
221 max trans temp

Still very happy with this truck as a tower and DD. No issues at all in 25k miles. So glad I got this and not a 3/4 ton. If you are towing 10K or less this is the truck for you.

Mike

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
mhamershock wrote:
Quick update to this old thread - towed really heavy for the 1st time with my HDPP. 7k lb dry toy hauler loaded up with 3 motocross bikes, gear, tools, full water tanks, coming in just under GVWR at 9700 lbs. Towed I5 to Washougal MX park (1.5 hours for me) and it was easy. What a great tow vehicle.

Great to hear, and I've read every post and now have more confidence in the HDPP.

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update to this old thread - towed really heavy for the 1st time with my HDPP. 7k lb dry toy hauler loaded up with 3 motocross bikes, gear, tools, full water tanks, coming in just under GVWR at 9700 lbs. Towed I5 to Washougal MX park (1.5 hours for me) and it was easy. What a great tow vehicle.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fordlover wrote:
Groover wrote:
mhamershock wrote:
Groover wrote:
harmanrk,
The diesel is a nice engine but overkill for what I am doing and a lot more money. For my use I am very satisfied (so far) with my Ecoboost and $8k in my pocket. Now, if they offered the Ecoboost in the 250 that might be a different story.

This was exactly my reasoning and why I ended up with the F150HD. I would love to see a 5.0EB in a 3/4 ton chassis. That would be a beast.

Mike

Amen to that! However, from what I have seen in the news they are going to have a new 7 liter DOHC engine for 2019 Superduties and the Mustang. While the 6.2 seems to be a solid engine it was obsolete when it was introduced. Maybe the new engine will offer both better performance and fuel economy. I feel sure that Ford is getting a lot of pressure from commercial users in cities to offer engines that can run on CNG.
http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/ford-motor-co-to-announce-new-engine-production-at-windsor-plant-today-in-boost-to-canada-automaking-sources

Not to rob the thread OP, but I see these rumors about the 7.0 liter replacing the 6.2 Boss, and I find that highly unlikely. The 7.0 is likely to be used on the F-450/chassis cabs and higher trucks to replace the ageing Mod motor 6.8 liter V10. The 6.2 Boss was introduced in 2010, the mod motor architecture has been around since 1991. I find it wishful thinking to expect the 7.0 would get better fuel economy than the 8 year old 6.2 Boss motor.

Secondly, thanks for the towing updates, these HD F-150's are hard to find much reporting on them.

Solid news is hard to come by but the reports I am seeing say that it is going to be used in the F150 and up: https://carnewtrend.com/2017/11/2019-ford-f-150-raptor.html

Since the 6.2 was pulled out of the 150 for being a gas guzzler I doubt that they would put another guzzler in its place. According to the article we should know by the end of the year.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
mhamershock wrote:
Groover wrote:
harmanrk,
The diesel is a nice engine but overkill for what I am doing and a lot more money. For my use I am very satisfied (so far) with my Ecoboost and $8k in my pocket. Now, if they offered the Ecoboost in the 250 that might be a different story.

This was exactly my reasoning and why I ended up with the F150HD. I would love to see a 5.0EB in a 3/4 ton chassis. That would be a beast.

Mike

Amen to that! However, from what I have seen in the news they are going to have a new 7 liter DOHC engine for 2019 Superduties and the Mustang. While the 6.2 seems to be a solid engine it was obsolete when it was introduced. Maybe the new engine will offer both better performance and fuel economy. I feel sure that Ford is getting a lot of pressure from commercial users in cities to offer engines that can run on CNG.
http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/ford-motor-co-to-announce-new-engine-production-at-windsor-plant-today-in-boost-to-canada-automaking-sources

Not to rob the thread OP, but I see these rumors about the 7.0 liter replacing the 6.2 Boss, and I find that highly unlikely. The 7.0 is likely to be used on the F-450/chassis cabs and higher trucks to replace the ageing Mod motor 6.8 liter V10. The 6.2 Boss was introduced in 2010, the mod motor architecture has been around since 1991. I find it wishful thinking to expect the 7.0 would get better fuel economy than the 8 year old 6.2 Boss motor.

Secondly, thanks for the towing updates, these HD F-150's are hard to find much reporting on them.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
An update to this thread. The major change to my rig for this trip is a new Husky Centerline TS 32218 WDH with 1200 lb bars. This upgrade from my old EZ Lift 1000 lb round bar w/dual friction bars setup made a massive difference.

I did 900 miles of towing this week, about 16 hours driving, averaged about 8.7 MPG during a Portland OR to Eureka CA round-trip. I5, 199, and 101, with a wide variety of road conditions and speeds. 65 on the freeway with some long hills, weaving through the redwoods at 30 MPH on narrow, chewed up 199/101 with quite a few 6 & 7% climbs/descents, and high winds along the coast on 101 South.

Weights were pretty much as usual - ~3300 on the front, ~4500 on the rear axle, ~7700 GVW, trailer at about 7800 lbs from 4 people, 3 dogs, with the toy hauler lightly loaded. So around 15,500 lbs total. The truck tows this load beautifully, never lacking power, almost always in the right gear (T/H Mode with 10th and sometimes 9th locked out), with a quiet, comfortable ride. The big difference this trip was due to the new WDH. Stability was much better - I had zero push/suck when passing or being passed, and in the high winds along the coast (40 MPH broadside from my right) even though I could feel the gusts hit, she tracked very true. In addition, the bobbing effect I noticed in the front suspension before, from dips or big bumps, is greatly reduced. Never a white knuckle moment regardless of speed, traffic, or road conditions. 

I think I will do a set of Rancho 9000s on the front and a 5* tow tune this summer and that will be it for mods. I'm very happy with this truck. It is an excellent tow vehicle and I can't think of another 1/2 ton truck that would be as good. 

Mike
2018 F150 Lariat SCREW HDPP, 3.5EB, 6.5' bed. 

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
I did the return tow this weekend. Very similar - 895 miles in 16 driving hours over 2 days. Averaged 56 MPH but fuel consumption dropped 1 full MPG to 8 MPG. I think the return tow has more climbs, and we had a headwind coming out of Redding and into Oregon which sure didn't help. I also pulled some 425 miles with the gray water tank almost full.

I usually set cruise at 65, dropping to 60 or even 55 for the big climbs. I run in Tow/Haul mode, locking out 10 gear. The engine/trans worked wonderfully. Power was never an issue, and the trans was always in the right gear. Very little hunting. It'd kick down from 9 to 7, and then 6 or 5 on climbs, rarely going over 3500 RPM. On descents it would downshift as far as 4th and run at 4000 rpm. The engine braking was noticeable if not strong, and it helps. I have the brake controller set at 10, and on occasion I'd use the lever to apply trailer brakes to help me slow down.

I'm very happy with the HDPP setup. It towed beautifully, and I was for the most part relaxed for almost 1900 miles of towing. Weather was great, traffic light, not much wind, no rain/snow so that helped too. A few observations:

1) I think the front shocks are underdamped for the spring rate. The front pogos 2-3 times after a dip. I will replace them in the Spring with something better. I put Pro Comps on the rear and they feel good.
2) Power tow mirrors could go out 2" more. It'd be nice.
3) I miss the gauge showing fuel consumption over last 5 fill ups. Only option now is 30 minute chart.
4) When we did run into wind, I could feel the trailer moving a bit. It's a big sail back there. I think a better hitch and better front shocks will help. E rated tires might help too as the stockers are C.
5) Truck is quiet and comfortable even towing. No complaints from DW, 2 kids, or 3 dogs.
6) Not sure I need a tune. I had a 5Star tune on my 2011 EB, but this one makes plenty of power and tranny is spot on. I would like a little more responsiveness from the gas pedal though. It takes a really good push to get a kick down.

Looking forward to many more tow miles.

Mike

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
2018 F150 HDPP 3.5 EB 6.5' bed update. Did my first long tow this week - 920 miles. The only significant change I made to the truck prior was a new set of Pro Comp rear shocks. I scaled it as we left the house loaded for the trip:

FA 3300 Lbs
RA 4500
GV 7800

Trailer 7700
GCW 15500

That's 4 people, full 36 gal tank of gas, and 3 dogs in the bed. Trailer was lightly loaded w/o the usual 400 lbs of dirt bikes in the back. Every value is within spec.

Towed I5 South from Portland OR to Bakersfield CA. 920 miles, averaged 56 MPH and 9 MPG. Truck handled beautifully. Very stable, smooth, quiet, and comfortable. Absolutely zero issues or complaints. I'll be heading back North in a few days. It's a long drive but not stressed about it as I know the truck (and family) will be fine.

MIke

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
Update on the truck. Just hooked up the toy hauler - 2012 Eclipse Attitude CGB27 - and did a short (25 mile) test tow to the local scale. Hauler is empty, with full propane tanks so pretty tongue heavy at the moment. Also a little nose-down so I need to adjust the ball height a bit.

Wow did it tow nice. Quiet, plenty of power, stable and smooth. Massively better than my 2011 Ford, and significantly better than my 2008 Ram 2500 Cummins. Here's the weights, full tank of gas + driver, with WD hooked up.

FA 3050 Lbs
RA 4250 LB
GV 7350

Trailer 7200
GCW 14550

All those are well within the HDPP specs.

Once I get the trailer loaded correctly I expect to see the tongue weight drop a bit, and I should have somewhere in the area of 800 lbs payload left. I'm doing a long tow after Xmas, and I will scale it loaded for the trip on the way out of town.

Mike

sele
Explorer
Explorer
we love our F150 Heavy pay load with the 3.73 and 3.5 EB. All I could ask for towing our f'ver. Also no add on's. It is just the DW and myself but it works great.
scott

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
The Harley Davidson is the top trim. Raptor is there also but I wouldn't have one. You cannot tune a ECM on a 2017 Ford. Read the Ford forums.

If someone lost a million dollars and I found it, I'd hunt them up and if they were poor I'd give it back.

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Do you have a feel for how the empty ride compares with an empty standard F150?

I had a 2011 F150 SCREW EB with Bilstein 5100s and AirLift bags on the back, and E rated 10 plys on it. It was a Max Tow, not the HDPP.

The 2018 with the HDPP rides at least as good as that, and maybe better. It is definitely quieter. If I don't tell you its the HDPP you'd never guess from the ride.

Mike

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a feel for how the empty ride compares with an empty standard F150?

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update to this now that I have 2000 miles on my 2018 F150 HDPP.

I scaled it today now that I have added the cap and various accessories, and it weighed 5950 lbs. With the GVWR of 7850, I still have 1900 lbs of payload left. Rear axle weight was 2800 lbs so 2000 left there on its 4800 rating.

Haven't towed yet, but I did put 1300 lbs of UPS batteries in it for a recycle run the other week. I could tell I had some weight back there but it rode fine, handled fine, and was not even close to stressed out. As I would expect given I still had almost 1000 lbs of payload left (this was before the cap which I'd say added 250 lbs).

I will tow next week so we'll see how it handles that.

Mike