cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Winnebago Journey (2009) 34Y Air Conditioner Out

RRE
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone please help? I bought a used Winnebago Journey (2009 34Y) and the air conditioner is not working. After researching the problem, a tech discovered the #2 compressor was bad. To make matters worse, the #1 compressor is not cooling much at all ( 2 stage system). This is a Coleman "basement unit" (6538-751)made by RV Products and after contacting them, they tell me that this unit is not made anymore. My ac guy has replaced the #2 compressor with what they suggested (1450-2149 made by Tecumseh) but can't find the proper start capacitor to get it going......Tecumseh says it doesn't need a run capacitor like the old compressor. Anyway, I'm going crazy trying to get this fixed or find another solution. I'm looking for someone who has experienced this, or found a good solution. I'll even take suggestions on who can fix it! I do not want to go to rooftop units as this coach has duct work in the ceiling and I would have to abandon it......which would leave the bathroom without any air. Can anyone please help me? Thank you
11 REPLIES 11

staggerlee
Explorer
Explorer
The Journey we just bought used, has 2 roof air, central air, and dash air.
They all work.
Right now I am trying to locate, and change the air filter on this Cat engine.
I have the bed all torn up trying to get to it.
Lee Hubbard🙂

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
www.rvcomfort.com/pdf_documents/r532_copy1.pdf
30 mfd 270volt run capacitor
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
RRE wrote:
Can anyone please help? I bought a used Winnebago Journey (2009 34Y) and the air conditioner is not working. After researching the problem, a tech discovered the #2 compressor was bad. To make matters worse, the #1 compressor is not cooling much at all ( 2 stage system). This is a Coleman "basement unit" (6538-751)made by RV Products and after contacting them, they tell me that this unit is not made anymore. My ac guy has replaced the #2 compressor with what they suggested (1450-2149 made by Tecumseh) but can't find the proper start capacitor to get it going......Tecumseh says it doesn't need a run capacitor like the old compressor. Anyway, I'm going crazy trying to get this fixed or find another solution. I'm looking for someone who has experienced this, or found a good solution. I'll even take suggestions on who can fix it! I do not want to go to rooftop units as this coach has duct work in the ceiling and I would have to abandon it......which would leave the bathroom without any air. Can anyone please help me? Thank you

strikes me odd that the AC compressor and the starting capacitor both failed at the same time and if the guy has enough brains to replace a compressor yet cant figure out a capacitor that will work???

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:
If it's just the start capacitor, what is special about it that keeps the tech from finding one or a compatible one.

Good question. Many of these capacitors are the same ones used in roof-mounted air conditioners.

I just checked my order history from Makarios. My start capacitors are the same ones shown for the OP's basement air unit.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect the tech made the assumption that it isn't possible to get parts for the older basement air units. He/she needs to make more effort.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I question the "doesn't need a run capacitor" statement. If it needs a start cap, it needs a run cap, imho.
-- Chris Bryant

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
If it's just the start capacitor, what is special about it that keeps the tech from finding one or a compatible one.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
My basement air is not the same model as yours, but I suspect the capacitors are the same. Get the part number from the Winnebago parts catalog (available online at winnebagoind.com), then google the part number. I got my start and run capacitors, along with the circuit board, and the compressor relays, from MakariosRV.com.

If I can get this to post, here's a link to the Winnebago catalog for your coach:

Catalog

I believe the part you're looking for is Part # 105620-10-705, PTCR (Start Device) w/Capacitor. Check out Makarios; they probably have it. And their prices are reasonable.

Here's the part: Coleman Hard Start Kit 8333A9021, $19.88.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
maybe try a rv salvage company like Colaw?
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
There are some Winnebago specific forums you might try that are more focused on keeping those basement units running and some pretty sharp characters. You might ask on the rvforum Winnebago section.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

RRE
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
either replace the hole set up. or even try a different tech.which ever its gonna hurt your wallet.

What set up?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
either replace the hole set up. or even try a different tech.which ever its gonna hurt your wallet.