cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear Wheel Mud Flap

dangerruss
Explorer
Explorer
We had a right inside rear tire blow out the destroyed the mud flap and dented in a corner of the storage compartment. The screws that attached the mud flap to the frame is still present. The flap itself looks like just a square piece of rubber or flexible plastic. Any ideas on where I can get a replacement mud flap or what material is should use?

Thanks... Russ
Russ

2006 Gulf Stream B Touring Cruiser Series M-5270-Ford E-450 6.0 Turbo Diesel
9 REPLIES 9

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
I have mine 5.75 in off the ground and never had an issue. They are Aeroflaps, and very stiff plastic, so if they were too low i would have broken them. These are set at the GM factory height of the front flaps. 50k miles later, still in great shape.
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
If I were to replace the mud flaps I would buy the Anti Spray

Those really look like Good Stuff!!! I'm not enough of a physicist to have any idea how the dimples prevent spray, but if they do, they do.

Read the details and they are 1/2" thick. The one I bought is probably 1/4". Since I have an inverted tee metal brace behind my home made flaps, I doubt they sail much, but that 1/2" sounds like an easier alternative.

Original flap was 18W by 20H. My new ones are 18W by 24H. That works out to 6" below the body edge and 9" off the pavement. What's the right height?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I were to replace the mud flaps I would buy the Anti Spray type,sold at most truck stops too.

When we went to them on on the trucks that I drove as a OTR driver it really made a great improvement to the visibility looking thru the mirrors when in inclement weather and also kept the rear and sides of the trailers cleaner.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Last year was the first time I pulled a car behind my RV. So I went to Lowes and got a door mat close out for $5 and added about 8 " to the bottom of each flap. Pull the car 5 thosand miles and not one clip on the car.
So big a world, so little time to see.

dangerruss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks... Looks like it should be an easy fix. As I stated in my original post, the screws that attach the flap to the frame is still presently screwed into the frame. I like the idea of adding some oversized washers. thanks again...
Russ

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Check out local auto parts store or truck stop. The rubber ones are easily cut with knife and punch holes as needed to match what you have. me thinks one flap would do both sides.

klutch nailed it. When we bought our C (signature) it was missing a mud flap. Not just the flap but the lightweight angle steel bracket that held it from sailing back. The remaining flap was a thin plastic sheet that I thought was a little "short" in terms of reaching down toward the pavement. I went to truck stops till I found a generic flap with square corners like this pic from Amazon

The "big rig" flaps are 24" by 36" and one gave me two nice 18x24 flaps. Cut with a utility knife against a straightedge. Punched 1/4" holes and fastened with "fender washers." The four original holes that would hold the flap in normal position on a semi, are hidden under the coach, down an inside edge.

Made a new bracket from Punched Angle Steel like this. Pic is Amazon but I got it at Home Depot

I can't remember the price, but Truckstops America (T/A sign on the interstate) had the generic flaps stacked in bulk and I'm pretty sure it was less than $20. That Amazon tab is $60 for two + shipping. Too much!

I had spent A LOT of time gOOgling around for an RV flap, like the one linked above, and never found it. So the offering by Winne might be recent. If it fits your measurements, I'd say Buy and Be Done. But if you're missing one and really don't like the other, like me, the truck stop one made a really nice new set, with heavy duty material, very inexpensively.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out local auto parts store or truck stop. The rubber ones are easily cut with knife and punch holes as needed to match what you have. me thinks one flap would do both sides.

dangerruss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!
Russ

bobsinn
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing happen to me. I found the exact replacement at Amazon.
Mud Flap
2001 Itasca Sundancer 27P
2000 Honda Civic