Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Thinking of getting a Dolly
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Trailers & Tow Dollies

> Thinking of getting a Dolly

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/17 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

IMO, the only dolly to buy is one that has some method of steering.
The American Tow Dolly, Mastertow dolly, and others, have "turntable" steering.
IMO, that is adequate.
The Demco Kar Kaddy dolly has king pin steering, with a shimmy damper to control wheel shimmy. There may be others that have such steering.
I had an older Kar Kaddy a few years ago. It worked great, IMO. I sold it because it did not have brakes. That was a dumb thing to do!
Yes, such steerable dollys are not cheap, but I would never buy any other kind.
As for the "problems" loading or unloading a dolly, all I can say is that we are all individuals. What one person finds to be unsupportable, another will find to be no problem at all. The only way you will find out what YOU like is to actually try it.
Good luck.

And I prefer the ACME dolly system of letting the car do the steering, Lighter weight and tighter turning without risk of denting car. To each his own.

Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/17 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TyroneandGladys wrote:

mowermech wrote:

IMO, that is adequate.
The Demco Kar Kaddy dolly has king pin steering, with a shimmy damper to control wheel shimmy. There may be others that have such steering.
I had an older Kar Kaddy a few years ago. It worked great, IMO. I sold it because it did not have brakes. That was a dumb thing to do!
As for the "problems" loading or unloading a dolly, all I can say is that we are all individuals. What one person finds to be unsupportable, another will find to be no problem at all. The only way you will find out what YOU like is to actually try it.
Good luck.

And I prefer the ACME dolly system of letting the car do the steering, Lighter weight and tighter turning without risk of denting car. To each his own.

I will give Acme credit; they do a good job of convincing many people that they can put their car on an Acme dolly, strap the front wheels tightly in place, and as they drive along the front wheels of the car somehow steer the wheels of the dolly without stressing the steering of the car in any way, or dragging the dolly tires sideways.
Based on my experience in vehicle maintenance, I simply do not believe it. Yes, I have seen their videos of the steering wheel turning. That tells me that something under the car is twisting that was not meant to twist!
I will not buy an Acme dolly, and I will never recommend that anyone else buy one.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC SWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

John & Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/17 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have towed with both types of dollys and they both seem to work. The plusses for dollys are that you can tow almost anything. It does take a little more fiddling around though and you should check and tighten the straps after an hour or so.

I think you will see more dollys on the road in the future as many electric vehicles need to be on a dolly to tow. Some because of drive train issues and some because of no attachment points for the tow bar brackets. I know there are a bunch of Tesla owners biting at the bit to tow their S or X and without a doubt with the Tesla 3 going into production next week there will be more Teslas getting dragged behind RV's. I have seen Nissan Leafs on tow dollys. We will probably tow ours that way from time to time. Right now we tow our smart electric drive on a trailer 4 up.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Campingho[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/17 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

TyroneandGladys wrote:

mowermech wrote:

IMO, that is adequate.
Good luck.

I will give Acme credit; they do a good job of convincing many people that they can put their car on an Acme dolly, strap the front wheels tightly in place, and as they drive along the front wheels of the car somehow steer the wheels of the dolly without stressing the steering of the car in any way, or dragging the dolly tires sideways.
Based on my experience in vehicle maintenance, I simply do not believe it. Yes, I have seen their videos of the steering wheel turning. That tells me that something under the car is twisting that was not meant to twist!
I will not buy an Acme dolly, and I will never recommend that anyone else buy one.

Well, unless you have actually had one, used it and have experience with the ACME dolly it is really hard to say you don't believe it. Do not get me wrong, I am not trying to start anything at all as everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and I do respect that. However I have well over 12K on ours pulling two different vehicles. It does work and works fine. Not only can you unhook and roll it easily,if you need to you can stand it straight up behind your coach and secure it to your ladder to get it out of the way. I am seeing more and more of them on the highway. I really do not think I would be seeing as many if they did not work properly. I highly recommend the ACME dolly.

Camping Hoss
2007 Monaco Cayman
Toyota Highlander/Acme tow dolly
Jeep Wrangler four down
Lucky & Lucie

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/17 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lets clarify something on the Acme tow dolly there is no twisting yes the wheels of the car being towed turn on the dolly when you make a turn but they are turning just like they would turn if your were driving it. I have stood behind our with a car on it and walked next to it the wheels tracked correctly and no dragging of the dolly even in the sharpest of turns.

* This post was edited 07/24/17 07:03pm by TyroneandGladys *

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/17 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given the choice between the Acme tow dolly and the American tow dolly, I would buy and recommend the American.
If I was slightly more wealthy, I would buy and recommend the DEMCO Kar Kaddy with surge brakes and folding tongue.
That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Heisenberg

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/17 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have kept the CRV. You will one day realize that the dolly was too expensive and is a pain and an extra 300 or more pounds to pull and the increase in total length ... more space needed when in a tight spot. Straps and tires and dealing storing it with it on both ends ... my Demco takes less than 3 minutes. I used a dolly for 6 years. No way I would go back. You are free to do as you please, I am just giving advice. And we all know I cannot get 2 cents for it.

Good Luck!

2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport

wredman

missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/17 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TyroneandGladys wrote:

Lets clarify something on the Acme tow dolly there is no twisting yes the wheels of the car being towed turn on the dolly when you make a turn but they are turning just like they would turn if your were driving it. I have stood behind our with a car on it and walked next to it the wheels tracked correctly and no dragging of the dolly even in the sharpest of turns.

Look at a little red Radio Flyer wagon (very similar to a car on a dolly), when you turn, one forward wheel moves forward one forward wheel moves back. The steering wheels turning on your car do not provide the same movement. They do not behave the same on the dolly as they do on the ground, the dolly wheels are on the ground. I know the dolly works, works fine, but to ignore that a kinematic movement is resisted is wrong.

2017 Thor Hurricane 34F

TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/17 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I just got home from picking up a used Demco Kar Kaddy Tow Dolly with Surge Brakes. The couple that I got it from got it to move a car from Florida to Georgia so it does not have many miles on it and it was always stored in their garage.

The Owner gave me great instructions on the operation and described his way of doing it. He also gave me the original packet with instructions that came with it.

I paid just under $2000.00 which considering what I've seen them for new, I feel I got a fair price.

Now, we have to plan our second trip, first towing. :-)

I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/17 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tug, we use a Demco and have been very pleased with its performance. We got it with the spare and carrier. After using it for a couple of trips, we ordered their stone guard. On a recent 6400 mile trip, that guard seemed to do a great job of protecting the nose of our VW Beetle.
The one bit of advice I would share is to load your car and determine where and how you want to secure the safety chains. On our car, I needed to lay on the ground to attach them...not a great idea! A member here suggested running them through the wheels. That was the deal! Made ownership much more pleasant.

Gary

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Trailers & Tow Dollies

> Thinking of getting a Dolly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS