cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachmen Freelander low point drain valve

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
Dear RV'ers. You all have helped me so much in the last year, and I so appreciate it. I have put over 10,000 miles on my Coachmen Freelander and even took a solo trip this month. Everything is going great, except for one little problem, I can't get the low point drain valve open to drain the fresh water tank. The manual says it needs to be parallel to the hose, but it will not budge. Now, it is behind a drawer so it is difficult to access. Does anyone have any advice for how to get it "unstuck". I have a picture of it but can't figure out how to add a picture to my post.
13 REPLIES 13

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Gia, what is that drain valve made of? Our old Jayco has little quarter-turn valves in its water system that can be a little stiff, but they're made of brass (bronze?) and I'm not too worried about breaking one.

Farmboy & Group, Our system is a little different, I guess... We don't have "gravity fill" where you stick a hose in filler "hole" and could also use a can and a funnel. City water connection only with a valve inside to divert the city water to the tank and fill it. But it has three drains: Hot Water Low Point, Cold Water Low Point, and Fresh Water Tank Drain. The Low Points are those Brass Valves, hidden in an outside storage bay. The Tank Drain is a little plastic spigot on the side of the coach body. I've started using it as a water source to wash my hands after hitching the toad, etc.
Like many of you, we use the "Sharpie on the Floor Labeling System."
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
"Low Point Drains" sounds like a terminology problem. Normally what are called low point drains function to drain water out of the hot and cold water lines when sanitizing the system. It may be Farmboy's rig has different labeling.

Not a labeling problem. My fresh water tank has only one way to be drained and that's through the low point drain which is the drain that is used to drain the water lines for winterizing. My tank is not down low it is up higher than anything else in the plumbing system and therefore uses the low point drain to empty.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
"Low Point Drains" sounds like a terminology problem. Normally what are called low point drains function to drain water out of the hot and cold water lines when sanitizing the system. It may be Farmboy's rig has different labeling.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Travelin2 wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:
loggenrock wrote:
Low point drains do NOT drain the fresh water tank - that's another valve. Low point drains allow water in the lines to drain - you should have both a hot and a cold drain, in addition to the water tank drain. 3 total. I have a 2015 Prism 24J - the valves are small T-handles that pull up to open. Lousy placement, they are behind a panel in the under-bed storage compartment. They will drain onto the ground. Mine happen to be just behind the passenger side rear dual wheels. ST

My low point drain DOES drain my fresh water tank and everything below it so be careful with your blanket statements.

I agree with loggenrock. The valves called "low point drain" refers to the valves that open the pressure lines and allow the water retained there-in to drain by gravity. If indeed those valves also drain your freshwater holding tank then when you close those low point drain valves the pressure in the lines when the system is pressurized would backfill your freshwater tank. Your freshwater tank has an overflow/vent line so when your low point valves are closed there must be water constantly flowing out your vent line. Right?

My rig has two low point drain valves and one freshwater drain valve.

Here's why that doesn't happen. The low point drain valve is the only way to drain my fresh water tank. I don't have an open fill valve to pour water into for filling the tank. I have to connect to the city water fill connection and open a valve on the line going into the fresh water tank to fill it. This is the same valve that I would close if connected to city water at a campsite to stop the tank from filling and over flowing. This valve is then opened to let water out of the tank into the lines to either run off the pump or to empty through the low point drain. It's not a great setup but my tank is the highest point in the system and has to be filled with pressure from city water. I am thinking about adding another pump so I can fill from a portable water tank but with a 55 gal tank I haven't needed to yet. Hope that explains it.

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
Farmboy666 wrote:
loggenrock wrote:
Low point drains do NOT drain the fresh water tank - that's another valve. Low point drains allow water in the lines to drain - you should have both a hot and a cold drain, in addition to the water tank drain. 3 total. I have a 2015 Prism 24J - the valves are small T-handles that pull up to open. Lousy placement, they are behind a panel in the under-bed storage compartment. They will drain onto the ground. Mine happen to be just behind the passenger side rear dual wheels. ST

My low point drain DOES drain my fresh water tank and everything below it so be careful with your blanket statements.

I agree with loggenrock. The valves called "low point drain" refers to the valves that open the pressure lines and allow the water retained there-in to drain by gravity. If indeed those valves also drain your freshwater holding tank then when you close those low point drain valves the pressure in the lines when the system is pressurized would backfill your freshwater tank. Your freshwater tank has an overflow/vent line so when your low point valves are closed there must be water constantly flowing out your vent line. Right?

My rig has two low point drain valves and one freshwater drain valve.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
fred42 wrote:
These valves are also on the water heater bypass pipes. I am always concerned that I will snap one of them off by turning it the wrong way. Once I determine the proper direction, I put an adhesive white label somewhere nearby and draw a spiral arrow and the word OPEN on it.

I had the same fear - plus forgetfulness when winterizing and then not being able to remember if I left things open or closed when prepping for the next trip. I just use a sharpie and draw on the wood near the water heater valves and the linoleum next to the low point valves (since it's under a drawer and out of sight). Very handy!
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
These valves are also on the water heater bypass pipes. I am always concerned that I will snap one of them off by turning it the wrong way. Once I determine the proper direction, I put an adhesive white label somewhere nearby and draw a spiral arrow and the word OPEN on it.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Have RV Will Travel wrote:
I have a Coachmen 2018 Prism with the same problem. The is a knob in the back wall of the bedroom and it says, "Low Drain Point". Can't seem to find any info in the owner's manuals.

I see water dripping out just below this knob outside and at the bottom of the coach. It is coming out of a pipe. When I run the water it increases, so, might be the drain is slightly opened on the gray tank. However, can't budge the knob. Will try so WD-30.

Any one else has ideas please advise. Thanks in advance.

The low drain is to empty your fresh water holding tank, not much more info needed. Sounds like it's not completely closed, not sure why you think the gray water valve has anything to do with it. They are cheap little valves with small knobs. I replaced mine with a ball valve that has a larger handle. Depending on how it's plumbed it might be getting pressure from the line when you run water and that why it drips faster. My advice is replace the valve.

Have_RV_Will_Tr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Coachmen 2018 Prism with the same problem. The is a knob in the back wall of the bedroom and it says, "Low Drain Point". Can't seem to find any info in the owner's manuals.

I see water dripping out just below this knob outside and at the bottom of the coach. It is coming out of a pipe. When I run the water it increases, so, might be the drain is slightly opened on the gray tank. However, can't budge the knob. Will try so WD-30.

Any one else has ideas please advise. Thanks in advance.

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
Success! I sprayed more WD40, put on gloves and viola, I was able to open the valve.

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
NO ONE has any ideas for me??? I've tried tapping it with a hammer, unscrewing the little tiny screw on top, spraying it with WD40 and it will not budge. I hate to take my RV in just because I can't drain the fresh water tank, but I guess I'm going to have to.