Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2017 F-150HD or F-250?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2017 F-150HD or F-250?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mhamershock

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2018 F150 HDPP 3.5 EB 6.5' bed update. Did my first long tow this week - 920 miles. The only significant change I made to the truck prior was a new set of Pro Comp rear shocks. I scaled it as we left the house loaded for the trip:

FA 3300 Lbs
RA 4500
GV 7800

Trailer 7700
GCW 15500

That's 4 people, full 36 gal tank of gas, and 3 dogs in the bed. Trailer was lightly loaded w/o the usual 400 lbs of dirt bikes in the back. Every value is within spec.

Towed I5 South from Portland OR to Bakersfield CA. 920 miles, averaged 56 MPH and 9 MPG. Truck handled beautifully. Very stable, smooth, quiet, and comfortable. Absolutely zero issues or complaints. I'll be heading back North in a few days. It's a long drive but not stressed about it as I know the truck (and family) will be fine.

Mike

mhamershock

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the return tow this weekend. Very similar - 895 miles in 16 driving hours over 2 days. Averaged 56 MPH but fuel consumption dropped 1 full MPG to 8 MPG. I think the return tow has more climbs, and we had a headwind coming out of Redding and into Oregon which sure didn't help. I also pulled some 425 miles with the gray water tank almost full.

I usually set cruise at 65, dropping to 60 or even 55 for the big climbs. I run in Tow/Haul mode, locking out 10 gear. The engine/trans worked wonderfully. Power was never an issue, and the trans was always in the right gear. Very little hunting. It'd kick down from 9 to 7, and then 6 or 5 on climbs, rarely going over 3500 RPM. On descents it would downshift as far as 4th and run at 4000 rpm. The engine braking was noticeable if not strong, and it helps. I have the brake controller set at 10, and on occasion I'd use the lever to apply trailer brakes to help me slow down.

I'm very happy with the HDPP setup. It towed beautifully, and I was for the most part relaxed for almost 1900 miles of towing. Weather was great, traffic light, not much wind, no rain/snow so that helped too. A few observations:

1) I think the front shocks are underdamped for the spring rate. The front pogos 2-3 times after a dip. I will replace them in the Spring with something better. I put Pro Comps on the rear and they feel good.
2) Power tow mirrors could go out 2" more. It'd be nice.
3) I miss the gauge showing fuel consumption over last 5 fill ups. Only option now is 30 minute chart.
4) When we did run into wind, I could feel the trailer moving a bit. It's a big sail back there. I think a better hitch and better front shocks will help. E rated tires might help too as the stockers are C.
5) Truck is quiet and comfortable even towing. No complaints from DW, 2 kids, or 3 dogs.
6) Not sure I need a tune. I had a 5Star tune on my 2011 EB, but this one makes plenty of power and tranny is spot on. I would like a little more responsiveness from the gas pedal though. It takes a really good push to get a kick down.

Looking forward to many more tow miles. Very happy with the decision to do the F150HD over the F250.

Mike

demiles

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pictures?

2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

When we did run into wind, I could feel the trailer moving a bit. It's a big sail back there. I think a better hitch and better front shocks will help. E rated tires might help too as the stockers are C.

Good report...
New tires take a couple of thousand miles to break in and lose that squishy half flat feeling ....especially a AT type tires/deep tread with the larger lugs and voids.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would love to see one of the truck sites do a head to head comparison between your truck and a 250.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/18 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just read all 17 pages of this thread. Don't care an awful lot about the truck debate but wanted to give kudos to the OP. He postured a question, made a decision, and followed up; more than once. I appreciate that and would like to see more of it on the forum.

mhamershock

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

demiles wrote:

Pictures?

[image]

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks very nice!

demiles

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good!

Hybridhunter

At home

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great thread, and thanks for the reports and details, and the HONEST towing mileage.
Consider the Omega tune from OZ to clean up the shifting and whatnot. I swore I'd never do a tune, and ended up with the daptive tune from OZ. Unbelievably good.

Also agree on the rear shock upgrade, the OEM ream shocks on the F150 just don't cut it. First truck I've ever replaced new shocks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2017 F-150HD or F-250?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS