cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting our travel plans for this fall

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a good spring at the sheepdog trials.
Lee has won (on big tough sheep)
Nell has recently won (against 98 other dogs)
Both have placed well enough and enough times to qualify for: 2017 USBCHA National Sheepdog Finals in Middletown VA.

Now I just need to find more vacation days or plan on leave without pay.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
17 REPLIES 17

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful photos Mark. And congratulations on your great results at the trials!

Rita

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer

By Maureen Robinson

By Maureen Robinson

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Mark, go to the Tech Forum and look for the sticky thread about "modifications and upgrades". Someone made a website specifically for uploading photos to RV.net and it's incredibly easy and doesn't bomb you with ads!! I want to hug whoever did that for us!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Bummer, Photobucket changed their policy on the free account and I can't share photos
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job Lee, Nell and all.

:B :B :B :B :B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Lee finished 36 out of 150 in the preliminaries
Nell finished in the middle of the pack
Lee finished 9 out of 40 in the semifinals
Lee finished 13 out of 17 in the finals
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
There is a free webcast of the semifinals and finals. The semis run tomorrow starting at 7:15am eastern time.

http://www.sheepdogwebcast.com

Lee runs #6
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Sure wish Lee could have run in cooler weather (well, I guess ALL the handlers were wishing that!) - good luck, Nell!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Lee ran during the hottest part of the day; it was 90. The sheep were hot and didn't want to cooperate.

We start with 200pts (100 from 2 different judges) and they deduct as we go through our run. The sheep were very determined to go off the field to the left during every run; our sheep were no different. Lee did a great job bringing straight to my feet after getting them; there were several places where he had to work hard to stop the from going to the left and keep them coming to me.

After bringing them to me we had to drive them towards the left while not letting them run off. Then we turned them away from where they wanted to go (towards the cross drive panels) which took a lot of convincing by Lee; pushing the and cutting off their attempts to curl around him.

After making going through the cross drive panels he brought them into the shedding ring; at this pint both Lee and the sheep were panting very hard. We got the shed and started towards the pen. At this pint Lee was so hot he couldn't focus. We got them to the mouth of the pen 3 times and one sheep would dart away at the last moment. Each time Lee headed to the water tank to try to cool off. We ran out of time without making the pen. Lee needed to soak in the water tub for about 5min to cool off. He recovered quickly and was ready for more sheep time.

We got a 142 out of the 200 possible; the pen was worth 20pts. At the end of the day 75 of the 150 dogs had run. The top score is 180 and Lee was in 18th (the top 40 go onto the semis).

Nell runs tomorrow and it is going to be in the 70s!
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Sleep well in the night befores Lee and Nell.

Do your exercise runs before with great anticipation. Little guys you must know what is coming.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, 3 year old Lee runs tomorrow around 3pm and 11 year old Nell runs Friday afternoon.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Best of luck. May the sheep be honest, and the dogs cooperative.
Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Dexter and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Best wishes!! For success at the trials - and for making the logistics of all this work 🙂
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the success of your dogs and good luck at the Nationals. Getting time off for a week-long event used to be a pain for us. Not having to is one of the advantages of being retired. 🙂

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)