cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt fans

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of you use internal 12 volt fans to blow air around in the camper? I've got pretty good vent fans but I like to have air blowing on me. I had a nice little vornado which is perfect except it is AC and it takes up a lot of valuable packing space(wife veto). I've looked at the fan-tastic breeze and it seems a little large. I've also looked at the Road Pro Tornado and people say it's loud.

Thoughts?
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel
20 REPLIES 20

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:

We only use our Fantastic Fan with one window open on the bunk, usually on my wife's side. That one fan and one window will create enough draft that there is a "wind" in the camper. Sometimes we will,open both windows up on the bunk but that doesn't happen to often.

we do the same thing for sleeping. For us this works up to around 82 deg. Above that and we start wishing for AC at night.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Try West Marine. Wife has two from them but they are "D" battery powered. I have to change the about twice a year and she uses them a lot. Brand name is Caframo. You can buy a 120vac adapter but six volts can be accessed by using a resistor to drop voltage. Folded up about 5"x5"x3" folded up. They are heavy for their size but that is the batteries and motor, also very quiet.

The DW has the Battery Powered Crew Fans. I don't know anything about the 12vdc fans, sorry.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
We have two of the O2 5" battery operated fans and one 10" O2 fan with the DC cigarette lighter connector.I also have the Hopkins trucker fan but that thing sucks compared.My wife smokes and we use the little fan to blow the smoke out the window when she lites up.The 10" fan is awesome.

The truck stops are great for 12 volt items.When I was over the road trucking with my converted log truck(sleeper and flatbed) for winter work,my wife limited my time at the truck stop 12 volt section.Some cool stuff for sure.I do miss the truck stops!
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:

To each their own, however we find we don't need any other Fan than a good Fantastic Fan, and now with the handy hand held remote control.
Soup.

The problem isn't that *we* need some additional air to cool down. It's that *I* need a breeze. If she would just learn to enjoy sleeping in cool temps, then everything would be fine. ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Lance 992

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I just open the window....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Air flow is easy to create in a camper where by you will have "wind" on you. ( or positive negitve draft) if you have a Fantasic Fan in your RV.
I worked for 40 years at and in one of the largest lead and zinc smelters in the world, and part of my job was operating the baghouses that control the draft from the molten metal furnaces as well as all the fans that collect the dust / smoke. ( Baghouse)
We only use our Fantastic Fan with one window open on the bunk, usually on my wife's side. That one fan and one window will create enough draft that there is a "wind" in the camper. Sometimes we will,open both windows up on the bunk but that doesn't happen to often.
When we ordered our new Northern Lite camper we didn't order it with an A/C unit as we never used our A/C unit in our 35ft Open Range 5th Wheel. I did turn the A/C unit on two times a year to ensure it was working, but it was only for an hour or two each time. And dont think that because we live in Canada that it doesn't get hot in the summer either, where we live we are regularly in hot summer weather in July and August in the high 90's and we do get into the 100's every now and then.
With the new NL Camper the Fantasic Fan comes with a remote control which is great. We can lay in bed and control the hieght of the vent opening as well as the speed of the fan. We just finished a 5000 mile trip drown the Oregon coast, Northen Calif, Nevada and Arizona and then back to BC. Not once did we think we made a mistake by not ordering our new rig with out an A/C unit.
To each their own, however we find we don't need any other Fan than a good Fantastic Fan, and now with the handy hand held remote control.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Good point about the truck stops. I saw so many options on Amazon, it was hard to decide. I should probably check out a trucker forum and also ask some truckers when I have a question like this since they have similar space constraints as TC owners and also use 12V.

Thanks.
2014 Lance 992

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Stop at any of the big truck stops. And look for the truckers section.

Usually it's tucked in the back where the truckers showers entrance would be. Flying J has a fairly good truckers item section too.

They have a plethora of nice, small, quiet, but real powerful 12v Fans.

Plugs into your cig lighter, or the 12v outlet next to your antenna booster switch. And I have even used a portable jump starter to plug the fan in so you can place it anywhere.

And I might add a lot of other real useful RV items you don't see in the stores. I buy all my stuff for the RV from the truck stops.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Travel_n_Wrestl
Explorer
Explorer
How do you guys plug these in? Or have you hard wired them? I don't want to hard wire mine so I ordered some adapters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX5LRP9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1but they are ac to dc so will only work when plugged in to shore I believe. But we need them to work off just 12v. DOH! I can't seem to find a female DC adapter to plug into the socket to power the fans. We only have one 12v socket in the trailer which is great for one fan, but I would like to put a fan in each of my boys' bunks as well.
Looking a little further in to this...seems like that converter should work?
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z-71 LTZ Midnight Edition
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Many choices at your local truck stop. All made in China I would presume.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
FYI the blade fans are always going to be noisy and that is why high-end designs are using centrifugal blowers for quiet operation.
I have seen them in Europe, but google search found only one, unfortunately 120V
Still if quiet operation is your priority, that is what you should seek
Centrifugal blower 120V

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also looking for a decent one. I thought the Endless Breeze by fantastic fan would be great but I've ordered two of them now and they vibrate so bad it won't stay on the counter so I'm giving up on that brand. Too bad as it seems to move a lot of air.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
We have one of these, and it works pretty good.

Fan
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I took one off the dash of a truck in a junkyard about 25 years ago. I screwed it to a small board so it would stand up and 12v plug on the end of the wires.