Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 544  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got beat up today by one of those "Honey Do Lists", Lol!

Thought I'd be putting up steel today, but it never happened. I do have good news though. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.... Oh, never mind. I didn't change insurance.

I did however, get my scaffolding in place.....

[image]

Yup, that's my truck. The bed sits about 3' high, so it's just about the right height for what I need. Yay!

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition, last night, I took some fiberglass cloth, like I used for the wheel wells, and used some Por 15 on it, instead of Fiberglass Resin. I used 3 layers of cloth with the Por, and left it sit overnight.

Here's what it looked like today.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one thing about this, is that the cloth with the Por is flexible, and can be bent. It does not crack, and it also does not stretch.

I have not tried to hang a weight on it, like I did with the paper towel, but I am sure it will be very strong.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also bent it in the opposite direction, again without any cracking.

[image]

May have to play with this combo a little bit.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally past the wheel wells!

Now that we've watched the steel dry, and the paint dry, it was time to start installing the "V" shaped steel along the side of the moho.

I started on the passenger side.

Here is a look at some of the screws I put in holding the steel to the side at the top of the wall.

Every 2 feet, I added a second screw, which went into the vertical wall stud, (red arrow), as the rest went into the horizontal wall top horizontal plate.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition to the screws holding the steel into the wall, I also added screws from the roof plywood into the top part of the bent steel, which will strengthen the entire assembly.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a slightly wider picture of what I was doing today. All in all, I put 20 feet of steel up, with another 18 inches to go on the passenger side.

Then, I can go to the drivers side and put the steel up over there. That will put me into a position, where I can add the second layer of 1/4 inch plywood to the roof. YeeHaw!

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today's job was to finish the passenger side steel up front, over top of the copilot's window. This was one of those days, that ya just want to forget and move on to the next day. Lol.

I cut the steel, then test fit it. I needed to bend it slightly in the middle, since this area slopes downward slightly.

So, I cut it, bent it, and test fit a second time. Then, I decided it was longer than what I really wanted, so I decided to shorten it by a couple of inches.

I measured and cut, and it wound up an inch too short. Ratz. Time to cut another one. Well, at least I have a pattern to go by.

So, I cut the second one, test fit, modified slightly, and test fit again, and it finally suited me.

All in all, until I was finished with this one, it took nearly as long as the two, 10 foot long pieces I put up yesterday. Duh!

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't realize this pic was out of focus, but this is the only one I took.

This is the area where the steel bends, so there is only a small place in that "corner" area. I am not sure I could even get a 1/4" diameter hose in there.

Either way, that will get filled with spray foam.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the inside of the top wall plate and the roof plywood. As you can see, at the end of the arrow, there is a small space, which extends to the outer side of the wall, and into the backside of the bent steel. So, a little spray foam will fill that right in. Yay.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 544  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS