Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

 > Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 554  
Prev  |  Next
STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

Senior Member

Joined: 11/23/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 08/21/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are looking for something to coat the wheel wells with, I would use bedliner rather than FelxSeal. I tried some of the stuff in the spray can when it first came out and it seemed to adhere fairly well, but deteriorated in about 1 year. Was not real impressed. But maybe they have improved it over the years. I would suspect that just spray on undercoating from the auto parts store would do better than FlexSeal.

On "How It's Made" on TV, I have seen fiberglass laid up in several layers at a time. Not sure what resin they were using and they also used a vacuum press to get out any air or excess resin. If you are careful to get out any air bubbles and get the resin to cloth ratio right, I don't see any reason why you cannot lay up multiple layers at once. The resin cures via a chemical process, not by evaporation.


1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select


PastorCharlie

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 08/21/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fiberglass is available in mat form. It is much thicker and the fibers are in a mat form not woven as cloth and thin. Use several layers of cloth or less layers of mat. Just be sure to saturate either well with resin or epoxy.

If using cloth I would lay one layer over the other and allow all to harden together. Use plenty resin or epoxy. Be sure to work out any puckers or air bubbles while wet. If you should make a mistake grind it off and do again.

Did I mention to use plenty resin or epoxy and be sure it is saturated.

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/21/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

If you are looking for something to coat the wheel wells with, I would use bedliner rather than FelxSeal. I tried some of the stuff in the spray can when it first came out and it seemed to adhere fairly well, but deteriorated in about 1 year. Was not real impressed. But maybe they have improved it over the years. I would suspect that just spray on undercoating from the auto parts store would do better than FlexSeal.

On "How It's Made" on TV, I have seen fiberglass laid up in several layers at a time. Not sure what resin they were using and they also used a vacuum press to get out any air or excess resin. If you are careful to get out any air bubbles and get the resin to cloth ratio right, I don't see any reason why you cannot lay up multiple layers at once. The resin cures via a chemical process, not by evaporation.



I've never used FlexSeal, so I figured someone else may have, and was just looking for experiences. Thanks for the info. Haven't decided yet, what I'll use on the bottom of the wheel wells.

Well, hey, if it's on Tv, it has to be true, right? Lol. Thanks.


If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/21/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Fiberglass is available in mat form. It is much thicker and the fibers are in a mat form not woven as cloth and thin. Use several layers of cloth or less layers of mat. Just be sure to saturate either well with resin or epoxy.

If using cloth I would lay one layer over the other and allow all to harden together. Use plenty resin or epoxy. Be sure to work out any puckers or air bubbles while wet. If you should make a mistake grind it off and do again.

Did I mention to use plenty resin or epoxy and be sure it is saturated.


I am confused. Should I use a lot of resin? Lol.

Actually, that sounds like good advice. Thanks.

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/21/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I tried some different things tonight with the fiberglass layup. Seems like we may have a winner, IF, the results tomorrow, look like they did tonight.

First, I tried laying up several layers at a time. I only did this on one end of the totally fiberglass wheel well.

I put either 5 or 6 layers, (no, I don't remember, duh), on this end. It was done only in between the arrows. Kind of ran out of room on the right side for the arrow, but it's there.



[image]



I figured, I'd wait until tomorrow and see how it looks when cured before I try this on another area. If I works well, I'll continue this process.

Second thing I tried, was to put a layer of resin down BEFORE I put the first layer of fiberglass down. Then I laid the glass down, added more resin, more glass, more resin - lather, rinse, repeat!

Third thing I did was to spread the resin with a paintbrush. Just a cheap bristle brush from the Adult Drug Den, yup, Harbor Freight. On sale for $0.50 with a coupon. Standard 2" wide brush, and not one of those lousy foam brushes.

That actually seemed to work better than the foam roller, and better then the $20 I spent on the stainless rollers from Amazon. Lol. It actually seemed easier to smooth out the wrinkles with the brush, and didn't pull the cloth around very much.

Then again, I am using fiberglass cloth, not mat, so that may make a difference. All in all, it seemed to work very well.

I was also using a piece of glass from about 4" to 8" long and about 24 inches wide. Overall, I liked it.

Looks like I may need more brushes. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow, and give you a report.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

Moderator

Joined: 06/01/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/22/19 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlexSeal is decent stuff, but, I believe you'll find it just has no UV protectent in it so it does break down eventually. Rustoleum makes a similar product that does have a UV protectant in it.

Last year I did a project and used Rustoleum PRO Spray On bed liner with excellent results. Previously I had used the regular spray on bed liner, the PRO stuff has held up much better.


There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910


JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

Senior Member

Joined: 02/21/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/22/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While it's a bit late for your current project with the wheel wells, should you decide to do additional glass work, , yes you can do multi-layers at once and I also suggest you look into vacuum bagging using your shop vac -- plenty of info on line to show how to do it and the benefits vs hand laid/poured


Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/22/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

FlexSeal is decent stuff, but, I believe you'll find it just has no UV protectent in it so it does break down eventually. Rustoleum makes a similar product that does have a UV protectant in it.

Last year I did a project and used Rustoleum PRO Spray On bed liner with excellent results. Previously I had used the regular spray on bed liner, the PRO stuff has held up much better.


The can I looked at in the Lowes store said that it does indeed have uv protection. I guess they must have changed their formula.

I suppose there are a bunch of different options available. The Flex Seal is not cheap. I think it's close to $100 a gallon.

Then again, if used for wheel wells, probably a quart would be enough.

I'll have to look at the Rustoleum Pro liner.

Thanks.

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/22/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeH wrote:

While it's a bit late for your current project with the wheel wells, should you decide to do additional glass work, , yes you can do multi-layers at once and I also suggest you look into vacuum bagging using your shop vac -- plenty of info on line to show how to do it and the benefits vs hand laid/poured




Thanks for the info. I'll look it up.

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/22/19 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a picture of last night's layup of the multi layer fiberglass and resin layup, that has cured.

The arrows show 4 different layers of fiberglass. I cut them different lengths on purpose, and at least one of them, (possibly two), doesn't show up.

All I have to say about the multi layer layup of the glass and resin is - - - - YEEEEHAAAAAWWWW!

Wow, what a difference. The results are like night and day. Using the paint brush makes it easy to smooth out any air bubbles and wrinkles, without pulling the glass out of shape.

Once it's cured, there is now plenty of extra strength, and all the layers cure as one. Wahoo!

I think we have a winning combination here. I like it!



[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 554  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

 > Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS