Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 515  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally, here's the pic of both of them just waiting to harden. Hey, there's only so many layers of fiberglass needed to finish this project, and every one I add bring me a little closer to finishing the wells. Wahoo.

I am ready to move on to do some woodworking.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wahoo! What a day. You know, one of those days when everything you do suddenly goes right, and you get more accomplished than you originally set out to do! YeHaw!

Unfortunately, none of that had anything to do with the motor home. We finished up the day with a strong thunderstorm. The wind gusts here were probably about the worst I have ever seen.

Took the neighbors tree down. We lost 2 of 3 porch posts. Fortunately, the third one was in the center of the roof, so it all stayed in place. Could have been much worse, so we're not all that upset. Little bit of clean up going to happen tomorrow.

I don't think that will take all that long, just a minor inconvenience. Not as significant as having the car totaled.

Hey, it's all good. It's just stuff. that's easy to fix.

I should be able to get some motor home work done tomorrow, hopefully.

Sorry for the lousy update. Have a great day!

One more observation on the fiberglass. The edges are sharp. Pay attention! Lol. Ouch.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YeeHaw! Got the check from the insurance company today! Wahoo!

Also, the second PT passed inspection last week, and emissions today!

That means we have our replacement PT cruiser. The same only different. This one is blue instead of Tan/Gold in color.

What does that mean? We have more money now than we did before the accident. Go figure! (Can you say, extra motor home money)? It did help that I had that one sitting here, even though it wasn't running. Lol.

So, after I remove a couple of more parts from Wrinkles, I'll then send it to the scrap yard, and get a few bucks back from that.

Overall, it looks like we'll come out of this pretty well.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition to working for my niece today, we also went shopping for more stuff to work on the motor home.

I've decided to try some of the little white foam rollers, as was suggested, (thank you), so I picked up a pack today.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I was there, I picked up more fiberglass mat. 5 more packs to be exact.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I was at it, I also picked up another tube of hardener for the fiberglass resin. Somehow, I ran out of hardener slightly before I ran of out the first gallon of resin.

When I am mixing up smaller batches of resin, it's tough to get the exact amount of hardener mixed with the resin. I usually mix close to a pint at a time.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That means it's time to update the spreadsheet.

10 pack of white foam rollers = $13.23.

5 pack of fiberglass cloth = $37.00.

1 tube of fiberglass resin hardener = $6.34.

Total of $56.57.

Prior total of money spent = $7899.45

New total of $7956.02

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally got to do some work on the moho today. Back to the wheel wells.

This one is the one that is complete fiberglass. I added a layer of glass and resin left and right of the red lines through the red arrows. Basically it's both sides of the well including the flange that will eventually be the bottom where the screws will go to hold up the well from the bottom.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also glassed the other one, which has a plywood backing. I glassed everything above the red lines, to the red arrows.

I am trying to reinforce the lip area that will hold the well up from the bottom.

I figure after a several layers of this, that should strengthen the whole assembly. Yes, I still need to add some glass in the center as well. I also plan on adding some to the outside of the mold as well.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried the foam rollers tonight for the first time. They do work well, although they don't last real long before starting to come apart.

Couple of questions.

Can I apply more than 1 layer of fiberglass cloth and resin at a time, or am I limited to 1, like I've been doing?

Second question, does anyone have any experience with using FlexSeal? It's a rubberized coating that is painted on by brush, roller, dip, or pour. Did it adhere well and last for more than a couple of years?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 515  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS