Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 518  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two pieces of flat iron set to proper angle and welded would provide your need.

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Two pieces of flat iron set to proper angle and welded would provide your need.

Yea, but I don't like to weld.

Ah, come on, that's funny! After all the hundreds or thousands of welds I've already done, what's a few more? Lol.....

I know, some of you are sitting there shaking your head. "What's wrong with this guy"? Lol.

I just thought I'd throw that out there. Hope everybody saw the humor in it.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I checked with Amazon a few days ago about my order of Por 15 that ended up being "damaged during delivery", and they sent me another gallon.

Here it is.

[image]

If you have noticed, this is a can of "Clear" Por. I've often thought of really messing with people, and use this on a piece of really rusty steel, and then apply a top coat of "Clear" Por 15 as well.

That means the steel would appear rusty. Even though it would be fully protected, it would still look rusty. What a concept. Lol.

Looks like it should have a use somewhere for that. Ok, maybe not.

Home made bread - $.059 including electric to bake it in a bread machine.

Eating home made bread - Priceless!

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spreadsheet time. Another gallon of Por, @ $152.09 adding to our prior total of $7747.36 and our new grand total is now $7899.45.

Did you know the gray Por is cheaper on Amazon than the Clear? Yea, about $18.00 less.

Yes, I was working on the Pt Cruiser today. Leaving a vehicle sitting outside for a couple of years doesn't fair well for a few parts.

Fortunately, I have a spare parts car that has everything I need, and won't cost me any money to use said parts. It does require some time, though.

That's ok, if I can get a number of extra years out of this one, I'll be a happy camper.

After trying to get in and out of a 2019 Vw Jetta, (insurance rental), I'm glad to get back into the Pt.

Don't get me wrong, the Jetta is a nice car, and will do better on gas mileage than the Pt will, but, I need a shoe horn to get in and out of it, with a helmet to protect my head.

If I was 5' 4" tall, and weighed 140 lbs, it would be a nice fit.

But I dunt! (that's Ricky talk).

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wahoo!!! Got the A/C working on the Pt today. Supposed to be in the 90's beginning of the week.

That's good, since we had to return the rental today.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I decided to move on to the wooden wheel well pattern that I made, and start adding some fiberglass and resin to it. What I am going to do is to enclose the wood with a few layers of fiberglass, both inside and outside.

First is to prop the pattern up with a couple of 3' clamps so I could work on the inside of the sides. Much nicer this way than it is working on a total vertical surface.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next is to apply some glass fabric on the inside and then smooth out some resin over top of the fabric.

The first pic has fabric and resin covering most but not quite all of the inside of the one side.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The second pic is of the opposite side, and has some glass covering nearly all of the side and down over the side, (bottom, in actual use), (yellow arrow).

Once the resin soaks the glass, it nearly becomes invisible.

The center section, has been coated with Por 15 and canvas cloth. I'll just cover that up with the fiberglass and resin.

[image]

Very nearly done with the replacement Pt Cruiser, so next week I hope to spend more time in the moho.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple of observations on using fiberglass and resin. Probably about the time I am finished with the wheel wells, I will have finally acquired enough knowledge and experience, that I should have had at the beginning of the job. Lol. That's pretty much true of most any first time diy project.

I am getting better at working the fiberglass into the corners with the resin and getting the fiberglass to lay flat.

Using a little extra resin seems to work better than not having quite enough.

It definitely is better to work with lesser amounts of resin at a time, and then mix extra to finish what you are doing.

I worked on both wheel wells today instead of just one.

The first one is the one that I am glassing over top of the plywood.

I covered the center area with a 2 feet wide piece.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I then moved on to the piece that is fiberglass only, that I have been working on for way too long.

I also added another layer to the center of this one also.

Yes, I ran out of resin with just a small area to finish, and decided, I'll deal with it tomorrow, instead of mixing such a small amount of resin to finish this little area.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 518  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS