Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 675  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Looked like the POR15 raised the grain on the walnut. Are you fine sanding between coats to get a glass like surface? Or are you just applying more POR15 to the previous layer? Brings out the color and grain quite nicely. Looks good.

It actually did not raise the grain. It kind of looks like that, but I think it is primarily due to camera and light glare.

Yesterday, I applied the first coat early in the morning, and by the time I got back for the second coat, it was fully dry, which meant that I had to give it a light sanding.

After applying the second coat, when I went to apply the third coat, it was - as Por 15 says - "dry to the touch, but with slight finger drag". That meant that I did not have to sand the second coat before applying the 3rd.

I am applying these coats with the little white foam rollers, that are meant for cabinets and doors, and they produce a nice fine surface, if applied carefully, and with very light pressure on the last rollover.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

He's using POR15 (a rust inhibitor) on his counters. He thinks this is more appropriate than coating designed for wood and you want to know if he is sanding between coats? If this guy is not actually a POR15 employee, he sure should be!

Don't hold back, tell me what you really think. Lol.

I am not a POR15 employee. I do not profit from POR15 in any way, shape, form, or fashion, or any other way.

I have just found a product that I like and when properly applied, works like a champ. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as an appropriate coating - Por15's website says it best.

[image]

[image]

So, since the manufacturer says it is good for wood - I decided to agree with them.

Link for the first picture. Towards the bottom.

Link for the second picture. Click on the "Technical and test data".

* This post was edited 07/23/20 09:07pm by fulltimin *

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Well, you always sand between coats on any automotive finish, and POR15 is an automotive finish. Don't remember, but does the clear contain UV protectant?

Maybe he should add some ultra fine metal flake to one of the layers just for that shimmer effect.

Wonder what they mean when they print on the can "For metal substrates only". Guess he'll find out over the next year or so.

Unfortunately, it does not contain any uv protection. As per prior post, it applied a the correct time, sanding between coats is not necessary, unless it fully dries, then yes, light sanding is recommended.

Hadn't thought of metal flakes. Hmmmmmm.......

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put the stove back in the counter to see how it would look. I think I like it! No, it's not fastened.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A while back, I made the statement - "There will be some surprises coming".

Tonight is one of those nights. This is on the drivers side, obviously just in front of the counter area. This is an area that has been designated for something "different", instead of the old, "blah" cabinets, or something.

Maybe a stove of some sort, or something. Not fully decided yet, but this will be the first thing we see when we enter the coach, since this is directly in front of the entry steps.

Yes, it's wallpaper, so I can change it if I want to.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that I forgot to add last night - from Por15's website.

LABORATORY TEST RESULTS

A POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating coating was subjected to 450°F for 10 hours; it remained hard and showed no apparent loss of adhesion A panel subjected to elongation was pulled beyond the yield point of the base metal without affecting the POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating coating.

Seems to me, that having something that will withstand 450 deg F, would be a good thing next to a hot stove top, rather than a finish that was "designed for wood", but won't take the heat.

Then again, that's just my view point, based on what the manufacturer says.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Following your posts is really starting to get interesting. I love it when folks like you think outside the box.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like the wallpaper. The stone adds a nice contrast to all the wood. Hopefully the lack of UV protection won't be an issue inside the MH.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

Following your posts is really starting to get interesting. I love it when folks like you think outside the box.

Richard

Yeah, me too. I can't wait for him to get out of "The Box" [emoticon]

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

He's using POR15 (a rust inhibitor) on his counters. He thinks this is more appropriate than coating designed for wood and you want to know if he is sanding between coats? If this guy is not actually a POR15 employee, he sure should be!

Don't hold back, tell me what you really think. Lol.

I am not a POR15 employee. I do not profit from POR15 in any way, shape, form, or fashion, or any other way.

I have just found a product that I like and when properly applied, works like a champ. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as an appropriate coating - Por15's website says it best.

[image]

[image]

So, since the manufacturer says it is good for wood - I decided to agree with them.

Link for the first picture. Towards the bottom.

Link for the second picture. Click on the "Technical and test data".

You may not remember some of my previous posts but telling you (or anyone) what I really think is what I do. While the employment part was meant as tongue-in-cheek, it is an unusual use for this product. When working with a wood countertop I would be more interested in durability than water proofing. Is there any information as to whether the product is food safe? You will be working on, cutting on, preparing food on, a surface covered by a product designed for rust proofing (despite other claims). Do they claim their product to be food safe?

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 675  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.