Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 544  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the meat of the lock system. The red arrow points to the little button on the inside that locks the door, or unlocks the door, depending on whether it is pushed in or pulled out, with no key needed.

The green arrows points to a pair of springs, (yea, this has 1 spring missing). That pushes the latch shut.

The blue arrow points to the piece of steel that slides the latch either in or out, which is the black arrow.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a close up of the locking mechanism. This is the pin that slides in or out, and here's how it locks.

The red arrow points to a larger diameter piece of steel, while the green arrow points to the smaller diameter piece. You can see the larger hole around the pin here. When the larger diameter drops down, you can no longer move the slide back and forth, so it's locked.

Actually, it's fairly simple, in the way it works.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the inside of the deadbolt. Nothing special here, just a standard deadbolt. Again, it's held together by 2 screws. This shows the bolt extended.

[image]

This one has the bolt retracted. The arrow points to the little round (doohicky), yea, that's a term, that rotates which will extend or retract the bolt.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you saw earlier, the door is mostly insulated, although it needs a little spray foam around the edges of the green foam board to finish sealing the inside of the door.

As far as security goes, I could do the same thing Fleetwood did, and use an aluminum frame and door, which is screwed from the outside into the frame of the coach.

If 2 people with with 1/4" sockets and each with a drill, or impact driver, in less than 2 minutes, can remove all the screws and the whole door just lifts off. How's that for security?

Also, if you look at the lock on your door, the type of lock I showed here, it will have a letter on it. I know they go from at least A to E, but I don't know if they go further.

Any dealer will have a master key that matches A thru E and will be able to open that lock with his master. More security.

They do not, however, have a master key for the deadbolt.

One more thing. There are hundreds of thousands of rv's on the road that have the same keyed locks on all of their outside storage compartment doors. The key will say CH751. If your key says that, you can probably open many of the cargo doors in the campground that you are staying in.

There are some cargo doors that have different key combinations, but there are a bunch of them out there with that combination.

Still feeling safe?

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

He mentioned that the hinges will be on the left side of the door in his post above my previous one therefore it is a swing door and not sliding.

If you are responding to my post, I never suggested he was going to use a sliding door...LOL....

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was responding to:
Quote:

He seems to understand the minutiae of construction. I suspect he is not going to have a door that swings open and closed but does not have a way of properly securing it.

If it does not swing it slides.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never ocurred to me until now. How about a gull wing? Lol.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmmm. Door opens up and provides its own awning. Gonna be hard to fabricate a hinge for that curved top.

BTW, whatever happened to the dutch door idea? Had one of those on the house where I grew up and it was pretty neat.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Hmmmmm. Door opens up and provides its own awning. Gonna be hard to fabricate a hinge for that curved top.

BTW, whatever happened to the dutch door idea? Had one of those on the house where I grew up and it was pretty neat.

Nothing happened to the Dutch door. I am looking at my dimensions. The top portion of the door that I would cut off for the dutch portion of the door is about 25-26 inches high, and about the same width.

Due to the curve, I have about maybe 12-14 inches for a straight hinge. With a sturdy hinge, that should be do-able.

The other option, is to put a piece of glass that opens, in the upper part of the door, but the glass would be about 3 inches more narrow due to the current outer frame of the door.

This will be adjustable on the fly, so to speak. Lol.

Either way, I had to build a top piece to fit the door frame, whether I built it all in one piece, and cut the top off, or build the 2 sections of the door, separately.

I chose to do the door all in one, ad then I can cut it later, and still have a great fit above.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Son took us to the races tonight, to a track we have not been to in years. We left early to get decent seats, so I had no chance to do anything today. [emoticon]

But hey, we did have a great time! [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 544  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS