Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 545  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After leaving it set for a while, the steel started drying out fairly well.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The instructions say to make sure the steel is BONE DRY before applying any of the rust preventative.

I moved the steel inside the moho, and while about dry, I decided to leave it overnight, before painting.

If I give it a coat tomorrow, I can wait a couple of hours and give it a second coat with no sanding in between. That will save a bunch of time.

The instructions say to apply the rust preventative, and when the first coat is dry, with a slight finger drag, it can be coated with another coat.

So I figured that would be better than having to sand between coats, as well as making sure the steel is DRY.

[image]

So, tomorrow is painting day. Yay!!!

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While we're waiting for he steel to dry and then the paint to dry (don't know if I can stand the excitement), we can contemplate some fallout from your choice of fabrication technique. Since you had the steel bent instead of roll formed, you have a curve instead of a sharp edge on the pointy part of the angle. That will leave a sort of triangular gap where the roof, wall, and steel all meet. Do you plan on filling that gap with something (M-1 perhaps) or do you plan on just leaving it since there really is almost no way for anything to get in there. I have noticed that you have been obsessive about sealing any cracks or crevices. If you choose not to, at least seal the ends. Would not want it to whistle while you drive down the road.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obsessive? No, how could it be?!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

While we're waiting for he steel to dry and then the paint to dry (don't know if I can stand the excitement), we can contemplate some fallout from your choice of fabrication technique. Since you had the steel bent instead of roll formed, you have a curve instead of a sharp edge on the pointy part of the angle. That will leave a sort of triangular gap where the roof, wall, and steel all meet. Do you plan on filling that gap with something (M-1 perhaps) or do you plan on just leaving it since there really is almost no way for anything to get in there. I have noticed that you have been obsessive about sealing any cracks or crevices. If you choose not to, at least seal the ends. Would not want it to whistle while you drive down the road.

I know I am having trouble standing the excitement, myself! Lol.

There is an idea. If I could add some solenoids along that gap, we could play a tune going down the highway! Yeehaw.

Actually, I intend to spray some foam into that area, so it is completely sealed from the inside, and no air should be able to enter that area. I suppose I should seal the ends with ChemLink or something. Good idea.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Obsessive? No, how could it be?!

Only because of all the water leakage at almost every screw hole through the outside skin during dis-assembly.

On the other hand, I've been called a lot of things over the years, and obsessive, really hasn't been one of them.

I guess I've entered a new phase! Lol.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First coat of Por 15 applied to the steel today. If you look close, you can see it is daylight outside.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After a few hours of wait time, this is the end of applying the second coat. Yea, it's dark outside.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at the steel, it almost looks like I used black Por 15. Actually, I did not, and I used this....

[image]

Yea, it's the clear stuff. Should be totally dry by tomorrow morning, and ready to screw into place. Yahoo!

The big question is, am I ready to get on a ladder and start screwing this into place? Inquiring minds want to know. Lol.

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is gonna be good....

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 545  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS