cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tent bunk separating from camper

Rwilkes
Explorer
Explorer
My vinyl tents are in great shape but are starting to split/separate from the camper. There is a tough plastic hem line where the tent is fastened to the camper, but it is starting to split at the corners. I am sure I can fix this myself if I can find the plastic hem line. Anyone else ever have this issue? 2005 Aerolite Cub 23tt
14 REPLIES 14

Cabanajess
Explorer
Explorer
Will update when I decide what to do, hoping to order and find someone else local to attach.

brenwaterys
Explorer
Explorer
Good information. I am having the same issue on my 2015 Viking 15RB and was told that the warrantee didn't cover this failure. I have been looking for this plastic channel to replace myself. I figure I can replace just the failing section without removing the entire tent.

Cabanajess
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke with a rep from Bear Creek Canvas, they call it the Omega strip. He was full of information regarding why there is so much condensation in some of the hybrids. You could order it for $3 a foot or send them your canvas and they will attach for $ 100, you just have to pay all the shipping, which he said was less than 30.00.

Cabanajess
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem, have to replace the bed due to water damage then I will worry about the plastic seem. I was told it was factory sewed on to the canvas. Work in progress. Thought about finding a supplement and just go over the old.

muvver5555
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking for this information for months! I have a 2011 Jay Feather on which I discovered this summer that the J-lock (also didn't know what it was called until now) was splitting around the screws used to attach it to the camper, so much so that there was leaking during rain. Jayco's answer to me was to replace the bunk ends! The rest of the bunks are in perfect condition! I have been looking for an easier, less-costly fix. Some good info here, but I was hoping for something that didn't involve replacing anything, so I'd appreciate any ideas along that line. Thanks!

Rwilkes
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know you can find the j lock. I didn't even know what to call it much less find it. I removed the hem and the j lock from that section and sewed in marine vinyl with a rope piping. It made a tight fit in the slot where the j lock would go. Then screwed the brackets back in. Had to hand stitch because it was too thick for the sewing machine. So far it works great but we shall see. ๐Ÿ™‚

tbolt2000
Explorer
Explorer
burntwood wrote:

Sales/Warranty/Parts & Service
Top Stitch
office 574-293-6633
cell 574-596-2705
Address: 921 Summa Dr, Elkhart, IN 46516
We talked to Candie Bartley (cbartley@topstitch-inc.com)

P.S.- We picked up our second bunk end since we were in the area. Just saying that they do exist. ๐Ÿ™‚

Our 2004 Aerolite Cub did the same thing. I also used Top Stitch with the exception of I ordered the J-Lock only. I removed the tent from camper and took to a local upholstery shop to sew on new J-Lock to tent and then I reinstalled the tent to camper.
I've done so much with so little for so long, I'm now qualified to do anything with nothing.

burntwood
Explorer
Explorer
Rwilkes wrote:
My vinyl tents are in great shape but are starting to split/separate from the camper. There is a tough plastic hem line where the tent is fastened to the camper, but it is starting to split at the corners. I am sure I can fix this myself if I can find the plastic hem line. Anyone else ever have this issue? 2005 Aerolite Cub 23tt

We have a 2006 Aerolite Cub and had to have both canvas ends repaired (at different times) by TopStitch. They do a great job, affordable and are quick with the fix/turn-around on replacing the J-lock plastic strips sewn to the canvas. We're happy with them and they have never leaked.

We shipped it to them, they fix and ship it back.

Sales/Warranty/Parts & Service
Top Stitch
office 574-293-6633
cell 574-596-2705
Address: 921 Summa Dr, Elkhart, IN 46516
We talked to Candie Bartley (cbartley@topstitch-inc.com)

P.S.- We picked up our second bunk end since we were in the area. Just saying that they do exist. ๐Ÿ™‚
When can we go camping?!?
2006 236 Dutchmen Cub Hybrid Travel Trailer

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rwilkes wrote:
Thank you. I believe they are the thermarest bunks but I haven't had any other issues other than this hem splitting. Gwh1bass- I did the same for over a year and it worked fine. Mine are in the top corners where there is a lot of tension, so the temp fix did not last long. I have 3 bunks. 2 have very small splits. One is now about 10 inches long. I'm going to remove that bunk tent and remove the hem in that section and see if I can replace with another type of water proof fabric. If doesn't work I'll take it in so nothing to lose. I'll let you know if it works.

I don't think you have Thermarest tents. They were only offered for part of the 2007 model year, and 2008/2009. No matter Thermarest or standard the plastic piece that is separating from the canvas and attaches the tent to the bunk door frame is known as J lock, and comes sewn into the canvas from the canvas supplier. The entire assembly, door,frame,canvas, basically everything less latching system, is all supplied by Lippert components, and has evolved through many design changes over the years. Originally they were a Kinro branded product and Kinro was bought by Lippert. Interestingly Lippert does not show anything about these assemblies on their websites and in their catolog or parts store anymore, they took it all down around 2011 or 2012. They are provided only to OEM's. I suspect in an attempt to limit their liability as they used to advertise them and would sell direct.

The current version of your bunk door and tent assembly is used by almost every manufacturer producing hybrids at this time except Forest Rivers Rockwood Roos, Flagstaff Shamrocks, and Palomino Solaires.

Lippert will probably not be much help. Sewing new J lock to your existing canvas if it can even be obtained would take some heavy duty sewing equipment. I would start by trying Lippert. Aerolite / Dutchmen service and support went to hell when it was consolidated under Keystone. I suspect your going to need to source a new tent which would include the J lock. Current tents / door assemblies being used on 2017/18 models made by Jayco,Keystone,Aerolite,Kodiak,KZ,Coachmen,Surveyor, etc should all be basically adaptable with little or no modification to your 2005. They changed design over the years of hinge arrangement and tent attachment at the door, but the basic size has remained the same. If you source new canvas from another manufacturer the critical thing would be angle of the front wall slope.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Gruu
Explorer
Explorer
FYI there are brand new hybrids on the dealer lot right now with the same issue. Could be a design flaw. Maybe some ammo for you.

Gruu
Explorer
Explorer
Just had my front one replaced at the dealers under warranty Friday. They replaced the whole thing, tent and all.

Rwilkes
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I believe they are the thermarest bunks but I haven't had any other issues other than this hem splitting. Gwh1bass- I did the same for over a year and it worked fine. Mine are in the top corners where there is a lot of tension, so the temp fix did not last long. I have 3 bunks. 2 have very small splits. One is now about 10 inches long. I'm going to remove that bunk tent and remove the hem in that section and see if I can replace with another type of water proof fabric. If doesn't work I'll take it in so nothing to lose. I'll let you know if it works.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmen(Aerolite'so parent company)has a terrible reputation in helping owners with older models.

You might contact one of the canvas replacement companies, like Bear Creek Canvas.
Or there should be a manufacturer's tag inside one of the tent seams. You could try contacting them.

Hope yours aren't the infamous Thermarest tent ends.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
Sure do near the hinge for the fold out bunk on a 2006 KZ 23CFK, probably about an inch long. I dont see how to repair this without replacement. I'll probably look for some white gorilla tape to keep a determined mosquito from entering.

I have also had to add additional self tapping screws to secure the plastic tent hem to the metal framing.