cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for advice on Used DP

fondon
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at two coaches and would like some imput on quality and construction from people who have owned or know people who have owned either coach. looking to upgrade from Class A gasser, I don't mind a little older coach but I want quality. 1st coach is a 05 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP 74,000 miles w/ISL 400 asking price $94,500 2nd coach is a 05 Travel supreme select 45DS04 84,000 w/ISM 500 asking price $114,000. Both are pretty much same as far as being cleaned and maintained, the tiffin may be a little on the cleaner side.
11 REPLIES 11

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We purchased our 03 Allegro Bus about 3 years go and it has been a very good coach as far as materials and workmanship. Haven't had any problems with any construction issues etc. It also has the same engine that you are looking at and in my opinion, performs well going up hills in the western states.

The $30,000 difference in price buys a lot of fuel, but Travel Supreme is a good coach too.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

MrWizard
i know one guy with a travel supreme

they are fantastic, if i had the money, that would be my choice between the (2) being talked about
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
gonesouth wrote:
Snomas wrote:
I believe Travel Supreme is out of business, therefore I would go w/ Alegro Bus.IMHO

IMHO that's like saying Rolls Royce is out of business, so I'm buying that Yugo! The Travel Supreme starts out about 4 classes above the Tiffin. We all know that if you have a real problem Bob Tiffin will have an Over-policy repair made for you, but it's much better not to need an extraordinary repair.
Ouch - comparing a Tiffen to Yugo is nearly as much of a misrepresentation as comparing a Travel Supreme to a Rolls Royce ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:
I believe Travel Supreme is out of business, therefore I would go w/ Alegro Bus.IMHO

IMHO that's like saying Rolls Royce is out of business, so I'm buying that Yugo! The Travel Supreme starts out about 4 classes above the Tiffin. We all know that if you have a real problem Bob Tiffin will have an Over-policy repair made for you, but it's much better not to need an extraordinary repair.
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
As a Tiffin owner I can tell you that Tiffin is great to work with. They stand behind what they build. Out last Tiffin was ten years old when we sold it and our current coach is four years old. Both have been great vehicles. You can call Tiffin and give them the VIN number and they can tell you if any recalls have been addressed. Of course all depends on how well the last owner took care of the unit. Good luck with your decision.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Bruce_Brown
Snomas wrote:
Travel Supreme was purchased by Jayco and rebranded under the Entegra name. They are one of the best built MHs on the market today. They were one of the few who chose to use the hung wall construction method as opposed to the laminate method so many use. The structure of a 12 year old Travel Supreme should be as rock solid today as it was back in '05.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Both are quality coaches, bit like Ivy said, tag is the way to go. For an owners report on the Tiffin coach, message Teachers Pet, as they have the same coach.

Sorry Bob, we have the Phaeton series. The Bus in a step up. Advice: Look sags in floor of the wet bay, also driver's side slide outside corner near front tire, see if it's "soft". These are two problem areas that were checked for on plant visits and corrected under warranty, however the 2005 is two or three years out of the 10 year structural warranty, I doubt that those area's would be warranty work now. Since coaches out of warranty are limited to 3 hour express bays only at Red Bay, then are blocked from returning for 60 days.

Btw only have seen one side wall crack at the front of the rear driver's side slide on a Tiffin diesel at Red Bay. But have seen one on a Gulfstream that has been "fixed" 3 times I know of, it's owned by Canadian friend who has a lot down the street in the Mission TX.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Bruce_Brown
To me this wouldn't even be a discussion, enjoy your new Travel Supreme.

Friends had about the same Tiffin in question, numerous trips back to the factory didn't/couldn't fix all of it's issues - they traded it. The biggest issue, to me, was the structural cracking of the sidewall at the rear slide cutout. Multiple attempts to repair didn't work. I have seen others with the same crack in the same area as well, so if you do go that way be sure to inspect carefully.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Both are quality coaches, bit like Ivy said, tag is the way to go. For an owners report on the Tiffin coach, message Teachers Pet, as they have the same coach.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once you've owned a tag axle coach you'll never go back to a non tag.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...