cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Ford CMax death wobble

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 CMax and only recently started towing it. A couple of times when making right hand turns it has started wobbling. We have to pull over and come to a stop to get it to stop. Then it is fine. We do have a 4 inch drop tow bar. BlueOx is the setup. Anyone else have this problem?
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
9 REPLIES 9

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
As lryrob9301 mentioned, the bungee cord works well to eliminate the wobble. I've used the flat cloth(green & black) covered bungee with the plastic hooks that Walmart carries. My 2013 Equinox has a 4 cylinder that has electric steering, the 6 cylinder Equinox has hydraulic steering that does not have the death wobble issues. I started using the bungee after two years of towing the Equinox without any wobble, I think whatever wear occurs in the steering system over those years resulted in less resistance to movement. I make 5 wraps around the bottom of the steering wheel and hook the two ends under the front edge of the seat on each side of the Brake Buddy. It may have been 4 wraps around the steering wheel when the bungee was new, but it should not be stretched too tight, just a little snug.
I have not seen any issues with the tires wearing abnormally.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
The easy "fix" is to take a long bungee cord and loop it through the bottom of the steering wheel a couple of times and hook both ends under the driver's seat bottom frame. This will keep a centering force on the steering and dampen the wobble.
This might produce more dragging and tire wear on the front. I do see where it would be much easier on the undershorts!
Glenn in TN
2008 Ford F150 King Ranch
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32
2017 Mini Cooper (future toad)

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
The easy "fix" is to take a long bungee cord and loop it through the bottom of the steering wheel a couple of times and hook both ends under the driver's seat bottom frame. This will keep a centering force on the steering and dampen the wobble.

Dluihn
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2005 Monaco and tow a 2017 cmax. Have experienced death wobble on both left and right turns. Looking for fix.

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks sfrescop. It makes me feel a little better that someone else has had it happen. My Ford guys had not heard of it. We will take right hand turns a little slower and straighten out more before hitting the gas. I had an alignment done so will see if that helps.
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Had it happen once in the four years we towed our former 2013 C-Max. Coming out of a parking lot and making a right hand turn. As I said only that one time. Stopping and restarting plus a change of undershorts worked.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
This happens to many new cars that have Electric Power Steering and are towed 4 down.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard of the death wobble before but had not heard of it in the CMax. My repair guys at Ford have never heard of it either. Asking for CMax owners to see if anyone else has the problem.
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
search death wobble in the search box above and you will find lots on the subject. Has to do with electronic steering. Affects Equinox, Jeep, many other vehicles. We just bought an Equinox and haven't towed it yet but are monitoring this topic.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi