cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling with a cat

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
I know very few people travel and camp with cats. We have seen a few during our many years camping but not many and they were usually in a motorhome.

We are considering taking our 16 year old cat on a trip. The reason being is the other cats she had here at home have all crossed the Rainbow Bridge and now she is completely alone. We are not sure how she may handle a long period alone. Our neighbors always care for them while we are gone but it is not the same.

Our issue is with the actual traveling. We have a travel trailer and she would have to ride in the truck with us. It is about 6 hours to the beach we are going to and we are not sure how to properly care for her on the long ride. She has already explored the camper and seems OK with it. We are mostly worried about how she may use the bathroom on the road and get plenty of water. We can carry the water in the truck with us but she will be in a carrier for travel. Not sure about a litter box though.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. We are leaning toward leaving her and hope for the best but if some good ideas show up we may go ahead and give it a shot.

Thanks in advance for any help.
28 REPLIES 28

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
deleted
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our cats were taken everywhere in the car for 1 month and then they were good to go. No carrier, just a harness and red leash. They initially meowed and had to be trained to stay out of the drivers area.

But then for the rest of their lives they were OK and just slept while traveling. One cat went for 2 airplane round trips to FL in a carrier under the seat. Not a problem, but she was well seasoned with cars, RVs and boats. For long travel a simple litter box would be appropriate.

I wouldn't want to use a carrier for anything other than a airplane.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Like this post, I will return here from time to time to see those lounge lizards pictured earlier, and your big orange boy.

I do love kitties!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Eric&Lisa wrote:

Here he is on the beach at Port Townsend state park, watching the sunset
Nice looking big boy!

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hokiehall wrote:
We are considering taking our 16 year old cat on a trip. The reason being is the other cats she had here at home have all crossed the Rainbow Bridge and now she is completely alone. We are not sure how she may handle a long period alone. Our neighbors always care for them while we are gone but it is not the same.

Our issue is with the actual traveling. We have a travel trailer and she would have to ride in the truck with us. ...

Our little guy really enjoys being an only child. No one to share Mom & Dad with anymore! But we do miss the siblings that have gone before.

We have a truck camper and he rides right along with us. It is an extended cab and he knows where is bed is always located - in the center of the backseat. He doesn't like leaving home and will usually howl for 15 minutes. Then he becomes resigned to his fate, curls up, and goes asleep.

When we are stopped, he goes right in to the camper. Knows where his bed is there too. He will then look out the windows of the cabover like he is king of the world. If there are scary noises and we are gone, we will come back to find him 'missing', but a suspicious lump under the blankets on the bed.

We put the litter box in the shower stall and the biggest trick is making sure we don't shut the bathroom door when it is not in use (block it with a spare shoe).

He does wear an harness 24x7 when we leave home. The harness will be clipped to a leash, and the handle of the leash is snapped in a spare seat belt when he is in the truck. He has never made a dash for it, but that doesn't mean he never will.

We are very careful to never let him leave the truck or the camper on his own. We ALWAYS carry him across the threshold of the camper door, and we ALWAYS carry him out of the cab of the truck. This way it never occurs to him that he could jump out of the truck or camper on his own accord.

He does really well camping and with the road trips. He is a good companion to have with us and we do regret not bringing him along before. He is quite the character. Sometimes he will sit on the center console - particularly at night - and 'direct' the traffic around us. Or if we are driving through a wooded area on a windy road he will get all excited thinking we are home (we live in the woods on a windy road).

Here he is on the beach at Port Townsend state park, watching the sunset:

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Well you tried. Sounds like it's best to leave her at home.

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
We tried to spend a lot of time last night in the camper but she meowed (actually howled a lot)the entire time, scratching at the door and generally making is clear she didn't want to be in there. Treats didn't work, food didn't work nor did a lot of petting or playing with her toys.

We may try again but it is looking more like the neighbors get to take care of her again. They do a great job so we may not try it this trip.

Thanks for all the info but this little kitty is very set in her ways and does not like change at all.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't think this was physically possible! They sure are supple!

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, that's just the way little Selina rolls :C

She is a world-class lounger!

She's nine months old now, and her lounging skills have only gotten better :B

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
I don't know how we did it, but our two cats don't mind traveling at all with us.

This is the youngest one, Selina who is only about six months old in these pic's. What do you think? She looks tense, huh?
Admit it.. you gave her tranqs! Catnip in the bed??

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how we did it, but our two cats don't mind traveling at all with us.

This is the youngest one, Selina who is only about six months old in these pic's. What do you think? She looks tense, huh?

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Have you spent a few weeks driveway camping with her? Does she consider the trailer hervterritory? How about the truck?

I'm sure you are busy, but if you could spend even a few minutes a day in the truck with her, petting her and feeding her treats and telling her she is wonderful it would help her think of the truck as a nice place to be.

Cats don't like to be any place that is not 'theirs'. They think there might be wolves.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.