cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1972 Revcon 250

Jacob_arredondo
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 1972 Revcon 250 and have quickly realized how tough it's going to be to do a complete remodel of this rare beast. Currently I'm searching for new tires... the stock Revcon came with (5) 10-16.5 tires - including spare. For some odd reason the one I bought has two 9.5-16.5 and two 12.5-16.5 on the rear. I'm able to mount some 9.5-16.5 transforce's on three wheels, but the two rear wheels are wider and no tire is made to fit a 12.5-6.5 wheel.
Any recommendations on the two rear wheels? Or does anyone know where I can possibly find two wheels that came with the stock 72 Revcon 250? (And some spare lug nuts, considering the rarity of those as well.)
... Everything/everybody leads me Marty Moore's in San Diego, but the phone number is no longer in service and I live too far to check it out myself.
Thanks in advance! Have a great weekend.

- Jacob
15 REPLIES 15

zauster
Explorer
Explorer
Lloyd jeneva1 wrote:
73 revcon 250 I got replacement rear shocks from NAPA gabreal hi jackers air shocks worked great took off old shock and matched them

Lloyd: Could you let us know which model number of those shocks worked? Thanks!

Lloyd_jeneva1
Explorer
Explorer
73 revcon 250 I got replacement rear shocks from NAPA gabreal hi jackers air shocks worked great took off old shock and matched them

Lloyd_jeneva1
Explorer
Explorer
I rebuilt a 73 250 revcon I blew a rear tire the electric Co used that 12 16.5 on their telephone pole dolley the two wheel dolley.that was a great handling coach. Never had a prob buying. Tires but that was in the late 80s. I did run into a big problem with that 250 the frame behind the rear axle was gone under the fiberglass pan mine was damaged and I removed it to glass it up i had to rebuild the frame and then undecoted the whole frame with non hardening undercoating I liked the vinal clad interior paneling way ahead of their time that to me was a better coach than the gmc a lot lighter.

Longdoglvr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1972 250 that I’ve been working on. I just wanted to add that Marty Moore has passed away I believe in 2016 and his shop has closed down. I do not know what has happened to all of his Revcon parts.

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
Jacob,

I know this thread is a few months old but I am guessing you have not resolved all your issues.

I have owned my revcon for a few years but I've gotten very little done on it. Planning to hit it hard this year and make it usable for summer 2018.

I have researched most of the issues and found an assortment of possible solutions I would be happy to share if you are still looking.

Also, the yahoo group "revcon_curious" is still active with a few members.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.

Brauzac
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Jacob,

I had the same issue with my 1972 Revcon 250. I have found the Samson tracker plus R676 comes in both the 9.5 x 16.5 and the 12 x 16.5 rim sizes. They are rated at over 4000 lbs so weight isn't a concern, only downfall is the speed rating is 69mph. These are designed for big rigs in all positions so I found it works well for our application. Hope this helps

HuckleCat
Explorer
Explorer
Options for broken parts that are not available is to fabricate things I guess.
Me and the sweetie found a super 1975 Revcon 250-T
Road worthy as it is, just working out some bugs.

Jacob_arredondo
Explorer
Explorer
HuckleCat wrote:
Hello Jacob!
I have a 1975 REVCON I am currently working on. My tires are the same as yours. Luckily mine are only a couple of years old and in good condition. I am researching how to get a more common size that will work with the bolt pattern etc. Will let you know. I want to have the tires in a size in case of something happening on the road.
Check out my REVCON here. It is a work in progress.
Our 1975 REVCON album - work in progress

HuckleCat wrote:
OH! There are not many REVCONs around. Thats the reason I like mine.
There are parts that may be difficult to find. Rear shocks if you ever need them are not available. I had front shocks, and most of the front end wear items on mine replaced. Those are available as the Revcon used the Toronado drive train / front end pretty much as supplied from the GM factory.

Hi Huck! Thanks for your reply. I was able to find tires... I found some 9.5-16.5 transforces for the two front wheels and some 12-16.5 STA tires for the two rear wheels because one of the previous owners changed the two rear wheels (1 inch wider than the front). Thankfully I don't have any rear end work needed right now, but what are our options if something takes a **** on us?

HuckleCat
Explorer
Explorer
OH! There are not many REVCONs around. Thats the reason I like mine.
There are parts that may be difficult to find. Rear shocks if you ever need them are not available. I had front shocks, and most of the front end wear items on mine replaced. Those are available as the Revcon used the Toronado drive train / front end pretty much as supplied from the GM factory.

HuckleCat
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Jacob!
I have a 1975 REVCON I am currently working on. My tires are the same as yours. Luckily mine are only a couple of years old and in good condition. I am researching how to get a more common size that will work with the bolt pattern etc. Will let you know. I want to have the tires in a size in case of something happening on the road.
Check out my REVCON here. It is a work in progress.
Our 1975 REVCON album - work in progress

Jacob_arredondo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot for the information everyone. I've been trying to join the revcon forums and get some sort of contact with a seasoned revcon owner that's been through all the trials and tribulations... but no luck - my member requests are not being accepted. Most of the forums and posts about Revcon's are from years ago... so who knows where all the owners are.

Femailyetti - That's exactly how these lug nuts are. They have 5 huge lugs that turn either left or right depending which side you are of the RV. The big 5 lug nuts is what makes it more difficult to find replacement wheels also.

Thanks again - I think the smartest route would be to get 16s made, so I have a wider variety of tire selection.

- Jacob

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
I suggest that you join a Revcon group and find out what others have done that was successful. 10.50X16.5 are simply not available.

I wish you luck. I was able to buy a set of 6X16 wheels for my coach. So I did.

Matt

X2 there was a guy on this forum and he also ran a Revcon forum I think he went by the name Davinet on this forum but haven't seen a post from him in a long time. He dropped a 502 engine in his.

I just looked around and This is the forum he is on.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest that you join a Revcon group and find out what others have done that was successful. 10.50X16.5 are simply not available.

I wish you luck. I was able to buy a set of 6X16 wheels for my coach. So I did.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
The old dodge work vans used 16.5 tires. I cant remember what years. That is if it uses the dodge bolt pattern. They also used a left and right hand thread lug nuts depending on the side of the van. Pep Boys was where we got the tires for one about eight years ago.