cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trips with 40' toyhauler

Stude55Dog
Explorer
Explorer
I am buying a 40' toy hauler and will be traveling the southwest area and northern California. I have owned a 34' motorhome for years and can maneuver it ok in most tight situations. My question is, considering the length of toy hauler and truck, any tips on how to plan for length in trips, parks and overnite areas? As a newbie with this setup I am a bit nervous but anxious to get trip started. Also input on when best to travel Dakotas, Utah, and Montana area. Thanks in advance for your advise and suggestions.
19 REPLIES 19

Stude55Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the valuable information. Planning next trip to west coast in May.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Most Florida and Georgia State Parks will be fine with your rig. I found fuel stops at truck stops were the best giving us plenty of time and space to do what we needed. We had all lengths and class of RVโ€™s in Florida and Georgia State Parks. Site length is disclosed at reservation time and you can add 10-15 to site length. With the fiver, most time, the site was wide enough to park somewhat next to the trailer.

eundercoffler
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm a little late to the game on here but I find a pair of two way radios invaluable when trying to get into tight spaces.

Also for OHV areas in NorCal, try River Rest Resort in the town of Washington off of HWY 20 near Navada City. The drive down the canyon is a bit harry (make sure and have your exhaust brake on) and the campground is a little tight but it's right on the Yuba river and you can ride right out of the campground, through the main street of town and onto miles of old logging/mining roads.

Eric
Eric

dedmiston
WhitehouseLV wrote:
Geez I really should read pay attention to dates on the posts and read all the posts.

:B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
Geez I really should read pay attention to dates on the posts and read all the posts.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
And lots of friendly boondocking spots for 40' toyahulers. ๐Ÿ™‚

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your going from the Dakotas to Montana you should stay & play in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. Very RV and SxS, ATV friendly. Lots of riding, tons of moose and elk. We live at the base of them. Google Fisher's ATV Bighorn Mountains

40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

dedmiston
That's hardcore. Good for you.

I'd love to hear more details about your trip and see some photos. You saved a bundle by boondocking.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Stude55Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Well, wanted to give a summary of our trip, we had a great time. I found once you get use to everything, it all seems to work. Had a few problems but they all got worked out. Spent great time with my kids, grandkids in No Cal, rode our sxs in a lot of areas, AZ, NV, CA, NM. Went form Jax, Fl to Chico area of No Cal and back home. Covered 8081 miles, 841.5 gal of diesel. We boondocked in all states as well as staying at rv park in Quartzsite, AZ. Spent 60 days on our travels and ready to go again. Thanks

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
Plan your routes and roads ahead of time. Google satellite maps are your friend. The biggest issue I've faced is the height of these units and keeping it out of the trees. Also having a long bed truck helps for tight maneuvering. Forget about the normal gas stations. Use the big rig lanes at the truck stops for fuel, assuming you have a diesel truck. We have a 43' TH pulled by a Ram megacab.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
Utah is the most atv friendly state you'll find, most rv parks are big rig friendly and most have trail access right from the park. Marysvale Ut has approximately 2,200 miles of trails. Goggle Marysvale for rv parks, we like the South Forty. We like mid Sept on for the color, if no kids then travel when school is in session... LOL

Great advice, you shouldn't have an issue finding a camp spot in Utah close to OHV that will fit you and short stints from park to trailhead in Utah should not be a problem as long as you're cool and abide by the spirit of the law, LEO's are very tolerant. Utah appreciates OHV and nurtures them, unlike most other states.

yes, don't take HWY 1 with that rig! That goes for you too Dave.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Utah is the most atv friendly state you'll find, most rv parks are big rig friendly and most have trail access right from the park. Marysvale Ut has approximately 2,200 miles of trails. Goggle Marysvale for rv parks, we like the South Forty. We like mid Sept on for the color, if no kids then travel when school is in session... LOL

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree with dedmiston - work out a system with your partner and stick to it.

Some places have 'helpers' - park personnel or new neighbors who want to 'help' you park by shouting directions. They can really screw you up. I shut off the truck and politely say that I can't hear DW over the radio with the shouting. I won't move until the 'help' stops.

But I know how to back up. Some people need help. Only you can judge if you need help.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Northern California coast will be difficult with your size.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad