cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canned ham?

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I see that Walgreens has little Celebrity canned hams on sale. Anyone had one? Or, do you have a brand that you think is worth taking along? I will be boon docking in the middle of nowhere this summer and I need to take some canned meats along.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer
35 REPLIES 35

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
He has it right kiddo..... So do I. LOL mmmmmmm good

Opie431 wrote:
Years ago I tried Dinty Moore stew and Spam so was prepared to hate canned ham and canned chicken. Found the chicken edible with home made gravy and the ham well worth taking when without refrigeration. Knew someone who ate the canned chicken and loved it. I found it no more than edible. Took whatever brand of ham was available so do not have a favorite.
Husband loves both Spam and DM stew. UGH.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
cbshoestring wrote:
RandACampin wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Camping without Spam? NO way.

Never go without Vienna Sausages either.

I keep both in my work truck....with some crackers.

Not a big fan of those sausages, and spam is better fried, BUT both do in a pinch if I am held up at a shipper/receiver and my stomache starts to growl.

Then again...I also have snack bars, chips, crackers, etc.... I never leave home with stocking the goodie cabinet.

This is the secret to spam, sliced thin and seared!
The canned bacon mentioned earlier was packed in parchment paper and bacon grease. it was a bit messy to get out of the can and into the frying pan, but was very tasty!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I tried Dinty Moore stew and Spam so was prepared to hate canned ham and canned chicken. Found the chicken edible with home made gravy and the ham well worth taking when without refrigeration. Knew someone who ate the canned chicken and loved it. I found it no more than edible. Took whatever brand of ham was available so do not have a favorite.
Husband loves both Spam and DM stew. UGH.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
You can have my allotment of Spam and I won't even feel bad !! LOL !

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
My mom would take a canned ham (Black Forest, IIRC... doesn't really matter) and use a church key to make triangular holes in the lid. Into the oven for 20 minutes or so, enough to melt the gelatin/fats, etc. Pull it out, drain the liquids out, then use a turkey baster to pump in some BBQ sauce. Back into the oven for another 20 minutes or so, then remove the lid with the key/band or on the regular can opener.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Retired_andLove
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up on canned ham. The last canned ham I had was nothing like what we had when I was a kid. It.s more bits and pieces now. not really identifiable ham. I love spam but there is something about it that makes me ill now. I liked it sliced cold and between two slices of bread.Not fried.
Randy & Dianne
2013 Tiffin Allegro

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
To me Spam is salt and fat in a can. Yuck!

๐Ÿ™‚ Yup, I'd rather chew on a dead skunks butt than eat the garbage that's in canned meat. No wonder that there are a massive amount of health problems. At least I'd know why the smell was bad.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
To me Spam is salt and fat in a can. Yuck!
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care for Spam or Canned Ham.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Canned ham and Zatarain's Jambalaya mix are always in the pantry of the motorhome.

20 minutes in the microwave and you have a tasty hot meal for 2. It's a very versatile meal mixture too, it tastes very different depending on the meat you use, ground beef, pork, turkey, ham, canned ham, sausage of any variety.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
RandACampin wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

I keep both in my work truck....with some crackers.

Not a big fan of those sausages, and spam is better fried, BUT both do in a pinch if I am held up at a shipper/receiver and my stomache starts to growl.

Then again...I also have snack bars, chips, crackers, etc.... I never leave home with stocking the goodie cabinet.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Sort of like SPAM. Good for quick meals not high cuisine. Certainly not the baked ham Honey Baked style. BUT, when you are hungry at end of trip want a warm sandwich with no trouble it fills the hole better than C Rations.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I was given one and I thought ugh. The person who handed it on to me thought the same thing.
It was fine and handy.

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com