Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Roll Call Alaska 2018
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Roll Call Alaska 2018

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 38  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mabynack

Panama City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't taken my rig on a long trip in 5 years. The last one was a nightmare. The truck blew a head gasket, the fridge quit working, the jacks would go up and down in the middle of the night all by themselves. Sometimes they wouldn't work at all. The TV came one all by itself at full volume in the middle of the night. I blew two tires within 100 miles. Both tires were less than a year old and had less than 8000 miles on them.

I'm going through my rig now to try to prepare. I had the truck engine bulletproofed for 8000 dollars. A year later I had it redone because the first shop didn't do any of the work they charged me for. I'm planning on getting new tires just before I leave and I'm replacing the jack switch. I'm going to have the RV shop pack the wheel bearings. Anything else I need to be concerned with?

JANETRUPP

Bullhead City, AZ and on the road..

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mabynack wrote:

I haven't taken my rig on a long trip in 5 years. The last one was a nightmare. The truck blew a head gasket, the fridge quit working, the jacks would go up and down in the middle of the night all by themselves. Sometimes they wouldn't work at all. The TV came one all by itself at full volume in the middle of the night. I blew two tires within 100 miles. Both tires were less than a year old and had less than 8000 miles on them.

I'm going through my rig now to try to prepare. I had the truck engine bulletproofed for 8000 dollars. A year later I had it redone because the first shop didn't do any of the work they charged me for. I'm planning on getting new tires just before I leave and I'm replacing the jack switch. I'm going to have the RV shop pack the wheel bearings. Anything else I need to be concerned with?

My goodness I hope you got rid of your ghost. Our Monaco Dip always had something go wrong every time we took her out. One time we had just had everything checked in the shop, pull out of our driveway and the mirror just fell. We solved the problems by scaling down and bought a new Class C. If you are taking a tow, don't forget to check her out also.I'm sure others better than I will have other suggestions for you.

Good Luck
Janet

Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mabynack wrote:

You need both a good truck person and a good RV person.

Tire problems like yours are a result of poor quality, under inflation, over loaded or alignment. BTW The average tire shop can sell you tires but they often have little knowledge about towing or the the towed vehicle. And you need the truck and RV axle weights prior to even thinking about tires.

What kind of RV shop is going to pack the wheel bearings? They may/may have adequate knowledge/skill.

Based on your experience including the truck rip off you need to gain adequate knowledge so that you can understand and know when to say no. Perhaps someone nearby can help?

Highly recommend you start taking trips and work out the problems associated with an apparent under used rig.

Think of all of this as insurance for a very long upcoming trip.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

mabynack

Panama City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

mabynack wrote:

You need both a good truck person and a good RV person.

Tire problems like yours are a result of poor quality, under inflation, over loaded or alignment. BTW The average tire shop can sell you tires but they often have little knowledge about towing or the the towed vehicle. And you need the truck and RV axle weights prior to even thinking about tires.

What kind of RV shop is going to pack the wheel bearings? They may/may have adequate knowledge/skill.

Based on your experience including the truck rip off you need to gain adequate knowledge so that you can understand and know when to say no. Perhaps someone nearby can help?

Highly recommend you start taking trips and work out the problems associated with an apparent under used rig.

Think of all of this as insurance for a very long upcoming trip.

I have a BS in Automotive Engineering and worked as a diesel mechanic for 10 years prior to getting my degree. There's no way of knowing if the shop replaced internal parts on the engine without tearing it apart.

RV Connections in Panama City will pack the wheel bearings and inspect the brake components.

mabynack

Panama City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/18 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought my new 2018 Rand McNally Atlas and a TPMS. I'm getting excited about my trip.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/18 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were one of the first on the “List”, and it’s starting to look as though we’re not going to make it. Pretty heartbroken right now.....but sometimes there are other priorities! [emoticon]

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

JANETRUPP

Bullhead City, AZ and on the road..

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/18 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

We were one of the first on the “List”, and it’s starting to look as though we’re not going to make it. Pretty heartbroken right now.....but sometimes there are other priorities! [emoticon]

So sorry that you won't be joining us all. But we all know how some things can get in the way of our life.
Take care and maybe we will see you on another trip.

Janet

mabynack

Panama City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/18 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I hope things work out for you.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/18 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No crisis (medical, etc.), just something that came up, that can only be handled during the summer. I guess we could “winter RV” Alaska! [emoticon]

pops49

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/18 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

going to make up my Alaska 2018 sign Any ideas?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 38  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Roll Call Alaska 2018
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS