cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstuffed Cabbage

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
I love stuffed cabbage, but hate the work, so I came up with an easier way.

Unstuffed Cabbage

1 1/2 to 2 lb lean ground beef or turkey or Lil Smokies (sliced)
1 Tbsp oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp sea salt

In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef/turkey and onion and cook, stirring, until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender. If using Lil Smokies, add with cabbage.

Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and spices. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender (at least 30 minutes).

Yield: Serves 8 to 10.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
18 REPLIES 18

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
That's what's so great about recipes like this - ingredients can be changed around to suit individual tastes, and it still turns out great!
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

SDPat
Explorer
Explorer
I always use replace one of the cans on diced tomatoes with a can of diced tomatoes with chiles. Adds just a little zip.

SDPat
Explorer
Explorer
I always use replace one of the cans on diced tomatoes with a can of diced tomatoes with chiles. Adds just a little zip.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
otis-agnes wrote:
I made this for the first time last week and thought I had everything. I was wrong... no tomato sauce. I didn't feel like running to the store so I used a jar of salsa instead. Oh my... it was delicious! Agnes

Smart use of a substitution :C.

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
If ever near Petoskey or Harbor Springs, Mi, head up M119 to Cross Village and try the Polish fare at Legs Inn. You will not be disappointed by the building, the view or the food. Awesome Golobki.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
I made this for the first time last week and thought I had everything. I was wrong... no tomato sauce. I didn't feel like running to the store so I used a jar of salsa instead. Oh my... it was delicious! Agnes
Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good, I think I will try it. Thanks for sharing
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
My grandma called it Lazy Cabbage Rolls. Good comfort food.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

campkrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds Good,
this I how I make it.
1 or 2lbs of cooked hamburger
one average size cabbage chopped
one lrg onion chopped
2 cans tomato soup
2 sticks of butter
layer in this order.
Bake covered 350 about and hr until cabbage is very tender. sometimes it takes longer. do not add water.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
We just made this last week (like OP's recipe). Added V8 to our leftovers because we wanted it a little more juicy. The V8 sure did make it even better!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I use V8 for the tomato/ water part. It just adds something extra.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Golabki / Golumkies / Golumpkis)
By littleturtle Photo
Photo by sdowswell

Prep Time: 25 minsTotal Time: 1 hr 10 minsServings: 4-6
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
"Easy and yummy. Even my husband who hates cabbage thinks these are great. High in Iron and Protein, and Vitamins A, B, & C. Can also be made in the crockpot instead of oven, just place rolls seasmside down in crockpot, pour in sauce, cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hours."

INGREDIENTS
12 large cabbage leaves
1 1/8 lbs ground elk or 1 1/8 lbs ground beef
1/8 lb pork sausage or 1/8 lb ground pork
1/2 cup rice, cooked with
1 tablespoon butter ( 1 cup rice when cooked)
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons onions, grated
1 1/2 tablespoons celery, diced
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
DIRECTIONS
Cut 12 large leaves off of cabbage head, cover leaves with boiling water, let stand until leaves are limp (2-3 minutes); then drain OR core cabbage head, and boil cabbage until leaves are tender enough to remove easily (10-15 minutes), very carefully remove 12 large leaves (You may have to peel the outer layers first and then return the cabbage to cook and continue peeling the leaves until all are done); then drain.
Mix beef, pork, rice, egg, milk, seasonings, and vegetables.
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
magnusfide wrote:
Thanks for the recipe, Mom of Spotacus. These kinds of recipes do well in Dutch ovens too :w

They do, indeed, magnus. In fact, WLToo thinks this will be one of our standard DO recipes on the road.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the recipe, Mom of Spotacus. These kinds of recipes do well in Dutch ovens too :w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus