cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing your Class A

mowog
Explorer
Explorer
I tried searching but didn't find what I needed- so please excuse my question.

Where do people store their Class A?

We had a Class B Sprinter that fit next to our garage, but a class A won't.

We are now looking at an A in the 33-35 foot range. I'm in the process of checking out storage areas near where we live. Closer is better but we're suburban so I'm expecting high cost. I'm even looking at friends/relatives that may have enough room at their homes.

I'm also trying to find more permanent solution (I know- nothing is permanent), so I won't have an immediate storage need. I really don't want to move to another home with a larger yard at our ages.

I'm assuming a lot of people keep theirs at home, but Im sure many can't. Experiences of other would be helpful.

A poll would be interesting to see who does what.

Thanks, Bob
Ellicott City, MD
24 REPLIES 24

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
On winterizing, I drain all the lines and empty the black & gray tanks. I bypass the water heater and pull the anode and flush it out, then I leave it drained. Then I blow the water out of the water lines with 40 psi of compressed air and pump in the pink stuff until I get pink at all faucets. Then if I feel like it, I'll blow out the pink stuff.

Yeah, it's overkill.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I store at my business in my heated warehouse with electric only.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
mowog wrote:
I tried searching but didn't find what I needed- so please excuse my question.

Where do people store their Class A?

We had a Class B Sprinter that fit next to our garage, but a class A won't.

We are now looking at an A in the 33-35 foot range. I'm in the process of checking out storage areas near where we live. Closer is better but we're suburban so I'm expecting high cost. I'm even looking at friends/relatives that may have enough room at their homes.

I'm also trying to find more permanent solution (I know- nothing is permanent), so I won't have an immediate storage need. I really don't want to move to another home with a larger yard at our ages.

I'm assuming a lot of people keep theirs at home, but Im sure many can't. Experiences of other would be helpful.

A poll would be interesting to see who does what.

Thanks, Bob
Ellicott City, MD

Bob,

Think you have answered your own Question? IMHO most store in a Lot or at Home - when we were "on the Farm" we stored there - then at a lot with electric - then friends and now on a lot I own.

So I pretty much done it all, if you would like to just talk, feel free to PM me and I'll give you a call.

If you are thinking of relocating, that would be possible to build a Garage - Look here to see what others have done - Lot's of options.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

wyocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Bumping a slightly older thread with a question.

For those who live in colder climes and don't have a cave or heated garage, what all do you do to winterize?

With my 5th wheel I drained the water tank and HWH tank, blew out the water lines and ran anti-freeze through them and in the drains including the black water tank. I also removed the batteries and connected them to a battery minder in the garage. Does the same apply to a class A coach? I don't know why it wouldn't, but figured I'd ask just for clarification, or in case I'm missing something.

This new to me class A will be parked next to my garage and not plugged in to 50 or even 15 amp service. The max gust I've recorded here at the house was 86mph, so a cover or canopy or other non-permanent structure is not really an option.

Thanks much for any input.
2015 Winnebago Vista 27N

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
For short term storage, consider working it in with the deal if you purchase from a dealer. When I bought my Monaco, I told them I needed 3 free months of storage to make the deal work for me. They never hesitated.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Parked at home.

I am fortunate that local code allows one recreational item per lot with no requirement regarding making it invisible or such. Boat, motorized RV, towable or such. Added a lane to the driveway and park the coach in front of the house plugged into to 30 amps 24/7. Took a few years to offset the cost of the concrete work versus the cost of off site storage.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

C20
Explorer
Explorer
In Kansas City we had caves we stored it in. Never had to winterize and no sun. Best storage ever, until we built a garage at our new house big enough to house it.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

Bruce_Brown
Ours is parked in our garage. Heated floor, cable TV, water, electric, bathroom, etc. 32x48 w/16' ceiling. We too use it as a place for guests. It's a pretty nice set up.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sent him a email as I have a spot near him but heard nothing back

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I store mine under a shaded canopy in my back yard in Las Vegas with full hookups..

I would never trust a storage yard, just to much theft happens now days.

:C

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Purposely built indoor storage at home with full hookups. Had it built as part of addition to the house when we moved from Texas back to Illinois. Able to pack without going outside when we head south in the winter.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I have room at home, but I rent an indoor storage facility. It isn't cheap, but it's nice to have it inside out of the elements and nice and clean. You said you're urban and you want it close, but do you really need it close? Is there one direction to head to when camping more often than others? I know of people who live over near San Francisco, but store their RV's over by the Sierras because that's the direction they head to when going RVing. So they just pack up what they need for the trip and head for the RV and go from there. Most of us leave most everything we need in the RV anyway.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Had it in my driveway at prior home and on a gravel pad at our new place. New place is a 100 x 100 lot so lots of room.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Store ours in a fenced in lot behind the local RV service facility. It's $144 a month. I had been able to pull it into the driveway at the last house to work on it and load her up before a trip, but we moved to a condo and won't be able to do that now. I'm looking for a contractor bay or garage to rent for a month to get the coach ready for the season. Failing that I can park it next to a hangar at the airport where I work part time and de-winterize there.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox