cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rubber roof what to do to it?

Old_Uncle_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to me 04 Terry with a rubber roof. I have resealed all edges and the thru the roof items such a sky lights with self leveling chaulk. It cleaned up good but has lots of mold stain and the white surface has worn to the black substrate in a few spots. The rubber seems to be still soft and pliable. There are presently no leaks.

The question is what is a good coating to restore the roof to like new. Shiney and white.
I have used elasometric on metal roofs, but unsure to use it on this rubber roof.
On line I have found some rubber roof coating. Different brands and prices. Reccomendations would be greatly reccomended.

Thanks,
Old Uncle Dave

P.S. Sorry but the spell check here, does not work for me.
17 REPLIES 17

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might be interested in what I did to my rubber roof and posted about it here. on page 4, and also the updates beginning on page 7 of that thread.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
epdmroof wrote:

-DELETED: Forum Rules-

Isabel, Not sure what or why you are posting this to me. My issue has been how bad the Rubber Roof coating looks after such a short period of time and how your company offers NO HELP at all with my issue. Chuck

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
trail-explorer wrote:
If the roof is in good condition, why is there a need to slather a liquid coating over the entire roof surface?

If your roof is in good condition, their isn't any practical reason to mess with any of this stuff. Some people just feel better if they do "something".

If you have an old roof that is at the end of its life, some of these products can extend the life. The liquid EPDM stuff is great. My old camper had a tear in the rubber and some rot. I cut out the rip and replaced the 2x2's and plywood ceiling and got everything secure again. After that, I bought some liquid EPDM and literally "painted" it on. The liquid EPDM adheres to the wood and the established rubber roof and created a seamless repair.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
If the roof is in good condition, why is there a need to slather a liquid coating over the entire roof surface?
Bob

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever heard of, or used this stuff it seems pretty cool.

Ive inquired about this and the cost for my camper,would run me about $3,500. I plan on keeping my current trailer for quite some time and i'm seriously considering this. Would be nice never having to worry about leaks from above. looks like its truly maintenance free for the life of the unit. Not only that, the lifetime warranty is transferable, so if and when I decide i want to sell, it would be a good selling point.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
I state it one more time.

You can go cheap with the other product offered here that require a primer and what not, but liquid roof has a full 5 year warranty..

Upgradable to 10 years when certain conditions are met..

You get what you pay for...

Its been a year since I did mine so I will take updated pics when I get up there to clean it...

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/liquid-roof.php

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28923796.cfm

video

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/videos/videos/rv_roof_repair_all_clip.mp4
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Double_Haul
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where my previous post went to. I use Hengs on my 05 Terry. The white was wearing off after only 8 years so my RV repair guy recommended Hengs rubber roof coating. Washed the roof real good with Crud Cutter I got from Home Depot. I cut in the edges with a brush the put 4 light coats over two days using a paint roller. Took less than two gallons for my 27'. I found Hengs for around $55 / gal locally. The stuff is real lumpy so you have to strain the stuff through one of those bag type paint strainers, kinda like milking a cow. I recoat once every two to three years.
2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab, Duramax
2005 Terry 270FQS
2006 North River 20' Seahawk

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Old Uncle Dave wrote:
Hello Chuckbear,

That stuff is rather expensive.
Would you please offer a brief as to how you applied the material.
What did you do for preparation?
Did you apply a thick coat or thin? Two or more coats?
What is your take on what the problem is?

Any one else have an idea of what the problem is?

Thanks,
Old Uncle Dave

If you go to the EPDM Roof Coatings website, they have detailed instructions and videos on how to install. That is exactly how I did mine. It requires a coat of primer and then a single coat based on a certain thickness. No amount of cleaning with any product that will not damage the roof has helped with my issue. EPDM's response is, "We don't don't know what caused it so we can't help you." Chuck

westend
Explorer
Explorer

Typically, the white coating deteriorates with exposure and weather. It sluffs off the underlying EPDM rubber. I'd suggest to clean the roof well with the appropriate soap, rinse, let dry, and then apply the white coating as to the Mfg's directions.
The more expensive "Liquid Rubber" products seem to hold up well for members on this Forum.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Old_Uncle_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Chuckbear,

That stuff is rather expensive.
Would you please offer a brief as to how you applied the material.
What did you do for preparation?
Did you apply a thick coat or thin? Two or more coats?
What is your take on what the problem is?

Thanks,
Old Uncle Dave

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think think the black spots are avoidable. I was told they don't hurt a thing. My opinion is no one can see them unless they climb up there then I would kick the ladder out from under them. LOL
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We used the EPDM RV Rubber Roof Coating. It is a lot of work but has sealed the roof. But, after only a few months the entire roof starting showing black and gray spots all over. Now it is almost completely covered and looks really bad. There are no leaks, but we have tried every known cleaner that won't damage the roof and NOTHING will clean it. EPDM has been of NO HELP in resolving this. Chuck

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Old Uncle Dave wrote:
Hello Gbopp

How long is the Southwind and how much Heng,s did you use?
Thanks

The Southwind is 37' long by 8.5' wide. The actual rubber roof area is 30' long. I ordered 3 gallons of Heng's Rubber Roof Coating.'
I have almost half a gallon left. No primer is needed.

My roof had large areas where it was black, the white coating had worn off.
I started with a very light coat of Heng's then added two light coats.
It did a nice job.

Prior to coating I cleaned the roof with Tide powdered laundry detergent. I had read not to use Dawn, it could cause the coating to peal.

I'm very satisfied with the results.

Old_Uncle_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Gbopp

How long is the Southwind and how much Heng,s did you use?
Thanks