Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Frequency & Intensity Of Awning Cleaning?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Frequency & Intensity Of Awning Cleaning?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/16 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I clean it good after every trip

samsontdog">">

Santa Fe

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/16 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always broom it off before I roll it up and yes, I do look like a weirdo doing so. If it's wet when I'm leaving, I unroll the awning first thing when I get home and leave it open until dry. So far so good...6+ trips with this one and it still looks clean.

TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

Tachdriver

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/16 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I buy new fabric every 5 years. It takes a little over an hour to install it...less time than I bet would be spent trying to keep it clean over 5 years.
In AZ, thats about all you can get no matter what anyway.

Vinyl or fabric? I have vinyl but it stains pretty good.

KK4PLD

2011 F150 Ecoboost 4x4 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.73 and Max Tow Package.
2009 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 241 RKS
6,100 lbs. towing weight

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/16 02:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tachdriver wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

I buy new fabric every 5 years. It takes a little over an hour to install it...less time than I bet would be spent trying to keep it clean over 5 years.
In AZ, thats about all you can get no matter what anyway.

Vinyl or fabric? I have vinyl but it stains pretty good.
Vinyl

Dog

ZeeLet50

Alden, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/16 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problem is you can put it away dry but unless your TT is covered, water from rain will wick in there and cause mildew. Seems like everytime I open the thing up, water will drip out even if I know it was dry when last closed. So I clean about every other month and before putting away for season as I have a cover for it.

2013 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB towed by a Red 2009 GMC Sierra /w/Equalizer 2pt hitch.

Camper G

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/16 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I clean mine real good with a combination of dish soap and hot water, and i spray on rv mold and mildew cleaner on full strength first (don't let it dry ) i scrub it with a pole brush, same one i use to wash my rig after camping trips. Unfortunately due to the size of my lot, i can't unroll it unless i park the rig in the grass, which i only like to do once per year, so i pull off all the leaves when i break camp and dry it with a towel if it's not raining. Seems to work good. It's not all moldy at all. It gets a little when shut up for the off season over winter, but not real bad

2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

- John Chapter 14, Verse 6

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/16 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I clean my awning at the beginning of the season and it stay clean till the next rain wicks in the dirt lines.

After cleaning it several times, I discovered it did not provide any more shade than when dirty, I did not get a reduction in my camping fees, no one gave me a clean awning achievement medal and it did not show up on my permanent record from high school.

I do open it up to dry after a rain.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/16 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Santa Fe wrote:

I always broom it off before I roll it up and yes, I do look like a weirdo doing so. If it's wet when I'm leaving, I unroll the awning first thing when I get home and leave it open until dry. So far so good...6+ trips with this one and it still looks clean.

That all I do. I try to have it rolled up the morning we leave before DW sees every leaf stain. [emoticon]

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 96k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Equalizer 4 pt 10k.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/16 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

I clean my awning at the beginning of the season and it stay clean till the next rain wicks in the dirt lines.

After cleaning it several times, I discovered it did not provide any more shade than when dirty, I did not get a reduction in my camping fees, no one gave me a clean awning achievement medal and it did not show up on my permanent record from high school.

I do open it up to dry after a rain.

Too funny! And true! Thanks for the laugh [emoticon]

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/16 12:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About once a year, coming out of winter storage. Dish soap and bleach, sprayed, wait, brush, rinse. When I do this, I try to wear the bleach-damaged clothing I wore the last time I did the job.

The awnings draw in moisture during storage, and are usually rolled up dirty enough to feed the fungi. You can wash it before you roll it up, but if you wait for it to be dry, it will be dirty again.

It is a personal tolerance thing. If you want it to be clean when you are camping, then you need to clean it coming out of storage, before each trip. There is not much point cleaning it at the end of a trip, after a month or more of storage (unless in climate controlled conditions) it will be dirty when you bring it out.

I've tried very hard to make my RV experience low intensity. This means learning to tolerate things like mildew on the awning, squashed bugs on the front, black streaks from dirt on the roof, muddy tires. The experience is what you make of it.

* This post was edited 10/04/16 12:28am by tatest *

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Frequency & Intensity Of Awning Cleaning?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS