cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front Motorcycle Carrier

Travel_Ram
Explorer
Explorer
I'm back from 5K trip with this M/C carrier, worked really great. Mongo HAPPY!

I have found a few threads on this form about front motorcycle carriers. One of the suggestions that came from a past poster, was replacing the tow hooks with a 2x2 hitch receiver clicky to except a carrier. I really liked that idea, with 2 supports the carrier would not have the seesaw movement. So that set me on a course to what I have now.

This carrier fits my '14 Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel w/ '01 Lance 1010. The carrier holds my Honda 250L @ 320lbs. Carrier itself is 80lbs(heavy bottom rail). Weighted my setup and I'm 110lbs over on the front axle, I'll fly with it. The truck doesn't handles any different with or without m/c on.

My first trip after completion I noticed some front/back movement with the bike on bumps. Most m/c carriers have a wider tie down bar for the front end and a shorter one for the rear, build mine that way too. Well I ended up shortening my front to 13" just enough to clear the front forks and back to 11". I then added a support from the receiver to the passenger peg mounting hole, I had already removed those pegs when I got this used bike. That really worked great, nice and solid.

I had my welder add that nut/bolt to the bottom of the receiver to help snug up the carrier. Built the carrier so I can open the hood while the bike is on. In doing so it left enough room so it would cradle the aluminum ramp, extra fuel cans fit nicely too.

As for windshield view it took a bit of time not to do a double take every time I caught something out the corner of my eye at the hood. I'm 6'4" so I don't feel the bike is any safety/view problem. I do remove the bikes side mirrors during transit for less view obstruction.

My license plate is not in full view(no flames please), but will be moving to the tire hoop area in future.

Hope this give some idea's to anyone who might be thinking of a front carrier.

Love having the bike to explore the back roads while leaving the TC setup with a cold beer in the fridge waiting for me at the end of the ride!

Ride safe

Brian

Bugaboo Glacier Provincial Park BC Canada 8/16

19 REPLIES 19

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Have been on the road for 6 weeks or so with a front carrier. Half way across the country.

I WAS stopped by a state trooper for maintaining my 50mph top speed up a hill to be kind to traffic backing up behind me. The speed limit dropped to 35 and I missed it.

Just a warning for speeding. Never even looked at the front carrier.

Itโ€™s been fine everywhere.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Kayteg1 wrote:
Are snowplow lights legal for road use?

If legal, they will have NHTSA/DOT certification number on the lens just like your OEM lights. You'll notice, none of the off road lights have this. Same thing with light bulbs, the good ones are labeled, the cheap stuff are all illegal (just like putting HID/LED in a halogen housing).
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Every major snowplow manufacturer uses them and snowplows spend more time on the road than anywhere else .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Are snowplow lights legal for road use?

hollander93543
Explorer
Explorer
Carrier will be hone made from steel, so pretty heavy with a Honda CRF300, which is a 300 lb bike. Carrier will be attached to the 2 front tow hook receivers, I think I will adapt the 'snowplow set up with additional Rigid lights..

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
What's your motorcycle and carrier weigh? And what brandis the motorcycle carrier?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

hollander93543
Explorer
Explorer
Beer? Anytime...

hollander93543
Explorer
Explorer
Before I start this project, how legal is this. Don't you obscure the headlights? Does CHP have a problem with this?

Travel_Ram
Explorer
Explorer
Do see the 6.7 heat up faster with bike up front on a grade, itโ€™s a given. Seen her in the 220โ€™s coming out of White Bird Idaho, a long gradeโ€ฆ.but was no 124 :E
Canโ€™t find those old picโ€™s so copy/paste are your friends.:) Still get a beer?:C

Kayteg1 good catch, thought about rotating themโ€ฆโ€ฆ.but itโ€™s workโ€ฆ..so bottom of the todo list still:)

hollander93543
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know, thank you!!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Good welding job, but the anti-rattle bolt is installed backward.
I think you will also find a law forbidding carrying gasoline in accident zones.
Not likely diesel will overheat.
I had Honda 3000 mounted in front of the grille on F350 and coming from Death Valley 124F, I really pushed going over the mountains with my 7000 lb camper.
The truck when getting hot is displaying digital meter, who reached 228F for a moment, but that quickly dropped when I reached flatter highway.

hollander93543
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Brian, I guess my welder has a job coming up... Does the bike interfere with cooling at all. Obviously mine is a diesel, so they like to run hot but lately outside Temps are 110 and that might be a concern. My bike will be a Honda CRL300L so its not a huge bike which will block the radiator, I hope...
Could you send a picture of the rack to my email, please: dickbuehre@gmail.com If I ever see you i will buy you a beer..! Thank you!!!

Travel_Ram
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Hollander, funny that you should bring back to life my old carrier post. Just today was out with some rattle can trying to make her look good. Will be heading out again next week with the same old rig, got over 25k on that 250.
That carrier is still spot on for my needs, hard to believe itโ€™s been 5 years!
So just find a good welder and work up a planโ€ฆโ€ฆthen open your wallet:D and go ride!

Ride safe Brian

hollander93543
Explorer
Explorer
fantastic set up.... where can I buy that rack. I won a 2012 Ram 3500 Dually and that is a really nice and secure set up.