Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Hughes Autoformer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Hughes Autoformer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/19/16 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Surge protection on the Progress Industries ems, Surge Guard ems, and Hughes is minimal.

However the ability to check for open ground, open neutral, etc is well worth the extra price of the newest Hughes.

Since low voltage is endemic in campgrounds I'd always go for an autoformer.

I'm extremely satisfied by the Sola Basic.

* This post was edited 08/19/16 01:19pm by pianotuna *


Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ed Manifold

Concord , Ca. USA

Full Member

Joined: 05/11/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/19/16 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had my Hughes Autoformer for about 10 years and my question is does it have surge protection?


Ed & Sharon
2002 Phaeton
2001 Jeep Wrangler Toad

krsmitty

Florida

Full Member

Joined: 03/16/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/19/16 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed Manifold wrote:

I have had my Hughes Autoformer for about 10 years and my question is does it have surge protection?


Yes, the older models had some basic surge protection. You can click on the link in my original post and will take you to the Hughes's web site and see what the original models had.


Ken Smith
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 CTD
2010 Jayco Eagle 28.5

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/19/16 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Build it in or it may want to walk away! Auto former goes in first ahead of Surge Protector.

[image]


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

krsmitty

Florida

Full Member

Joined: 03/16/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/19/16 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always put mine under a 5 gallon bucket. Mostly to prevent it from being rained on. But, guess it did stop prying eyes.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/16 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed mine in our last RV because the educated idiots at the PalmSprings TT would not allow them saying they were causing their old decrepit system to fail and robbing the already low power. Funny part is the Wilderness TT/Naco 100 miles away sells their own version of the AutoFormer.

The Management has changed and so has their policy but I liked it built in so much I did the same with the new DRV.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/16 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

krsmitty wrote:

I always put mine under a 5 gallon bucket. Mostly to prevent it from being rained on. But, guess it did stop prying eyes.


I would highly advise a chain and padlock!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/16 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Cummins12v98,

May I ask you to tell us more about the autoformer from the Wilderness?

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I installed mine in our last RV because the educated idiots at the PalmSprings TT would not allow them saying they were causing their old decrepit system to fail and robbing the already low power. Funny part is the Wilderness TT/Naco 100 miles away sells their own version of the AutoFormer.


krsmitty

Florida

Full Member

Joined: 03/16/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/20/16 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

krsmitty wrote:

I always put mine under a 5 gallon bucket. Mostly to prevent it from being rained on. But, guess it did stop prying eyes.


I would highly advise a chain and padlock!


Hughes is sending a cable and lock as part of the order, along with a digital voltmeter.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/16 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi Cummins12v98,

May I ask you to tell us more about the autoformer from the Wilderness?

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I installed mine in our last RV because the educated idiots at the PalmSprings TT would not allow them saying they were causing their old decrepit system to fail and robbing the already low power. Funny part is the Wilderness TT/Naco 100 miles away sells their own version of the AutoFormer.


You would have to call Wilderness Lakes Resort and ask them. they have them for sale in their Country Store. Part of the Thousand Trails Family of Resorts.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Hughes Autoformer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS