cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Start looking for a boondocking site: eclipse (Aug 21 2017)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's never too early to plan that trip!

Path of totality
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
81 REPLIES 81

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis, I had to work, so could not make the trip north to view. I will, however, be retired in 2024, so I will arrive ahead of the crowds, and leave after they are back home. I will enjoy a week in whatever area I decide to view it from.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Dbl post. Did not show after first "Post Message" closed browser.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got back from a month of boondocking and hiking and mtn biking -- full report in a couple of weeks. Boondocked in the hills above Stanley, Idaho, for the total eclipse -- really great, but not life-changing -- just a lot of fun. Very worth-while. No one around but me and DW. I botched the video -- wrong settings on camera. Got some decent still photos. Then went to Rainier, and then Tahoe, and then Eastern Sierra. Got back last night. So much to do and to unpack, then I will prep a trip report.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday, I was listening to a local radio station....still giving weather report for "eclipse " day! :S
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why avoid crowds if you'll miss something? Why not overnite in superchief and drive back next day? That is one of the things RVs are designed to do.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
As I said in the previous episode, we topped off (I thought) at Cheyenne before joining Highway 85 leading to our target location. Round trip from the service station was only 204 miles. Normally, pulling the trailer, we easily get 300 miles. On the return leg in bumper-to-bumper traffic, top speed about 10 MPH, at 142 miles we were down to 1/4 tank. At Yoder, we pulled over at a traffic control point so I could put the gas from our jerry can into the car. This is the fuel for our gennie which I filled once and topped off once so I should have had at least 3 ยฝ gallons. But, when my wife first filled the gas can, she put the nozzle all of the way into the can and stopped when it cut off. So we probably only had 3 gallons to start with and it didn't get topped off in Cheyenne. So, at Yoder, we only had one gallon left. Not enough. A sheriff deputy told us that the fire department had planned ahead and had extra fuel available.

They gave us enough to get to La Grange where there were 2 unattended, credit card only, pumps. At La Grange, we found more Goshen County Fire Department volunteers who told us that they were out of fuel there. After he checked our fuel gauge, one fireman admitted that they had held back extra fuel for folks who absolutely couldn't make it to Pine Bluffs. He said that we had plenty and, while the low fuel light did come on just before Pine Bluffs, we made it. We refueled and got back to the campsite at Pole Mountain at 10:30, nine and a half hours after we left our viewing site 142 miles away.

One interesting takeaway for me was how polite, helpful, and considerate everyone, locals and visitors alike, were. I think the magic viewing the total eclipse had a lot to do with that.

At the traffic control point where I put in the little fuel we had left from the generator gas can, there were a couple of ladies whose clutch had gone out and had a 4-hour wait for one of only 2 AAA trucks working HWY 85.

That little parking lot had turned into a party location for a lot of folks.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
mama.sylvia wrote:
You didn't wave as you came through Cheyenne ๐Ÿ˜‰

My DH and DD were right outside Torrington. Took them EIGHT HOURS to get home - normally a 70-minute drive. I stayed home with my own bathroom, running swamp cooler, and no competition to view 97% eclipse.

Did, too! You were busy texting at the time. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The drive back will be "The Rest of the Story." Let's just say that this photo, taken in Torrington, sums it up nicely. ๐Ÿ˜„

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't wave as you came through Cheyenne ๐Ÿ˜‰

My DH and DD were right outside Torrington. Took them EIGHT HOURS to get home - normally a 70-minute drive. I stayed home with my own bathroom, running swamp cooler, and no competition to view 97% eclipse.
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I still haven't received all of the photos taken by the others in our small party, but this will give you an idea of the site I ferreted out. I had several possible locations from Guernsey, WY, east to north of Scottsbluff, NE. In the week running up to eclipse day, we were camped within a 3 hours drive of each location. I kept tweaking my plan by taking in the observed weather and traffic reports and expectations on the various local radio stations. I finally settled on a country road about 30 miles north of Torrington, WY, Co. Rd. 24.

We fueled up in Cheyenne right at HWY 85 which led to our site. Round trip to this service station was 204 miles. The drive in was what I expected, as we entered the Path of Totality vehicles began peeling off to find a viewing site. We continued north to ours and there was less and less traffic as we proceeded. The road, route 159, had people lining the soft shoulder pretty much the whole way but, with about 5 miles to go, there were fewer and fewer people until about the last mile nearest dead-center then the die-hards were lined up there. (At this point our driver, my wife, was ready to pull over anywhere (we were pulling the Casita, luckily!) and I was the navigator working at a disadvantage . . . I had forgotten to bring either of my 2 Garmin GPSs, the Tahoe's navigation and entertainment failed, our smartphone GPSs didn't work due to the cell/data system being overwhelmed, and the county roads were not numbered as county roads, but as streets! fortunately, I had looked at the online maps so much that I had them memorized and found Co. Rd. 24. We turned and drove another half mile to a mile until we topped a small rise. We pulled over right on the road. There was no one else in sight.

My wife took this picture. I'm on the left, the couple on the right were with us for the Cabo San Lucas Total Eclipse in Baja in 1991 and this was there 5th total eclipse that they travel around the world to view. This was the first total eclipse for the guy behind the telescope. He lives in Colorado Springs and is a friend from an online Military site I frequent and thought that it would be fun to see it. Boy, was he surprised!

My wife made it into the pic.

The drive back to the camp site is a WHOLE 'NUTTER STORY. I'll tell it later.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
Avoidcrowds, I'm about 100 miles north of you and we had 97% eclipse. Didn't get what I would call dark but the quality of the light changed, it was duller and much less blinding. We are at 6500' elevation so the summer light is usually pretty intense. Temp dropped 9 degrees according to local NWS. A nice cool breeze also started that lasted almost until the sun was back to normal. DH and DD drove to see totality. Took them 7 hours to get back (normally a 90-minute drive).
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
No totality at Silver Lake State Park near Maple Falls, WA, but I did get image of what we had. I also found some neat sickle shaped shadows caused by the crescent sun (hard to see in the photo):

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we are still on the road and in a Walmart parking lot in Lamar, CO, at the moment (great WiFi!). We were dead-center of totality, but getting there and returning was an adventure, to say the least. I'll post a trip report later but it will take awhile to put it together. (Any photos, except one, that I post will be by others in the party because I took my own advice and burned it into my memory banks for later retrieval. One guy in our party didn't really see it at all because he was so focused on adjusting his telescope!) Let me say, though, it was a great experience! Some expected, and some not so much. More later, I'm tired and we still have 2 more parking lots in our future. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
We made the 900 mile round trip in order to be within a mile or two of the center line for the 2+ minute show. Five days, round trip. Just got back and sorted my pix and the one, 3 minute vid. Since Faux Bucket now allows no hot linking, linking to my pix will have to be manual through drop box.
We left early on Friday, August 18th from our compound on the West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada in boondock mode with a week's worth of food, a lot of water, clothes, full propane and empty black tank and, at the last minute, 15 extra gallons of diesel fuel. Why the extra fuel? I perused some local TV stations in Oregon on the day before departure, and they were playing up long lines and potential shortages of virtually everything. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tws6gv7fd51h3b/DSCN1069.jpg?dl=0
Our hope was to aim for a couple places I found on Google Earth that would be suitably "hard to get to" (in Spanish it's called Malarimo, or bad to arrive at). We heard about all the traffic that was supposed to be at hand, but none materialized on Friday. What did materialize was a terrible accident at the jct. of highway 138 and 97. It was so horrible that two life flight helos were dispatched to the scene and departed in different directions with the gravely injured. The 2-hour back up behind us was about 10 miles.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bphsa78ozrucyia/DSCN1071.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc81d6dh17bkegc/DSCN1072.jpg?dl=0
A bit further down the road we stopped at a N.F. office and picked up some local maps. These proved invaluable. We found a nice boon dock spot in the Ochoco N. F. down a very faint road.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fbd7mm0u25yd9n/DSCN1074.jpg?dl=0
On Saturday, we drove the last 30 miles to Painted Hills State Park. It was already an absolute Zoo. Hundreds of cars everywhere. The very road I was planning on was blocked off to ingress. The BLM and the State of OR said they would close some poor roads in order to protect the Madding Crowd from getting stuck out there somewhere. Ever flexible, we got on an adjacent dirt road, which already weeded out the faint of drivetrain. It led to a large expanse of BLM land up on a mesa with tremendous views of the distance.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/htwz704mu5ljpxn/DSCN1079.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/euacj5j4tarpupt/DSCN1101.jpg?dl=0
This little Juniper saved our hyde during the ensuing days. We made a chair change about every hour following the shade right around the tree.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/psobyymexke7hfd/DSCN1098.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7hg9pr2u9hk4xm/DSCN1081.jpg?dl=0
Our clean little camp.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1tx56d5zjgn6bx/DSCN1090.jpg?dl=0
Slowly and inexorably cars started to drive into our area. One driver said the backup was 5 miles to get onto the narrow road leading to Painted Hills and beyond.
Many of these people were from California in their tiny foreign 2 door car with 3 inches of clearance and stuff piled high on the roof.
The awaited time had come. There were at least 125 people within eye and ear shot. With my Coolpix on a miniscule tripod, I took this @ about 10% eclipse:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm5trw812zx1c1l/DSCN1113.jpg?dl=0
This next m4v was started at about 80% eclipse of the Sun:
I hope it runs for you as it is as good as I can get with a $100 camera which luckily did NOT adjust the light level. I let out a whoop about midway so keep the VU level lower. People were screaming and praying and jumping up and down when the final darkness hit, which comes across on the vid. You will hear the faint sound of air craft, which flew along with the shadow as long as they could, which was not much as the darkness was traveling 1700 mph. The temperature did drop at least 10 degrees during the 45 minutes or so of some kind of sun reduction. No insects of wildlife to observe. This was simply the biggest and most immense thing I've ever witnessed. I can see why there are Eclipse Junkies that roam the world in search of their Eclipse Fix.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfgweo1q2r6k79q/DSCN1114.m4v?dl=0
People started leaving immediately after the cessation of eclipse with big billowing dust clouds covering the landscape. We chose to stay put for a few more hours and have a leisurely Carne Asada dinner. Six hours after the S.E. we pulled up stakes and leisurely made for higher elevation and another night's rest in the camper. There was so little traffic we thought it would be good to just keep going and camp south of Bend, OR. Wrong, Tortilla breath. There was only one secondary road leading through a town called Prineville, which had a parallel kind of mini-burning man thing going on, so we got caught up in a 25 mile long string of cars and RV's creeping along to get through the town's 2 stoplights. Now we were starting to see a lot of fleeing Millennial eclipsers in their suitably soiled Subarus and Priuses. Most of the plates were CA. and they drove like they had to get back to work the next morning, 450 miles away. Things let up a bit as we headed toward sunset until we got onto Hwy. 97 south. This road was NEVER meant to have these many thousands of cars on them so it was turned into an occasionally moving parking lot. Every time a side dirt road appeared on the radar, hundreds of cars peeled off to race down the dust chokes raceway @ 70 mph until it ran out and they had to get back on Hwy. 97. With a 6 speed manual truck trans, occasionally moving was not my idea of a good time. Jeanie got out the OR Gazetteer and found a beat up forest road just ahead so we took it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tozzwwxrsm5yy1/DSCN1117.jpg?dl=0
After a half mile or so we were well away from the madding crowd and put up the steps and played backgammon until about 9 p.m.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/578v379wtojlk71/DSCN1116.jpg?dl=0
The plan was then to arise @ 3 a.m. and continue toward home some 6 hours away by now. We arose without breakfast and jumped back on the deserted highway.....except for the ever increasing number people in their Priuses who had had it and just pulled to the side and were getting a few winks sitting up in the drivers seat. This number increased to over 500 cars/RV's/trailers/trucks. It was like the EMP had hit a certain population. It sure reminded me of a Millennial version of the Batan Death March with people falling slowly to the wayside. They sat in line and drove until they could drive no more. As we were slower than the speed jockeys, as day break unfolded, we were passed at very high speed by these same side-of-road lurkers that we had passed earlier. All in all, it was a grand time for Jeanie and I. I am truly so glad we made the effort to see the most convenient Total Solar Eclipse of the sun in our lifetime. jefe
Lehmee noh if any of these links do not open.
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I found a great boondocking spot in ID just a few miles outside the 100% zone. Didn't get totally dark, but more like dusk. Definitely got cooler.

Someone else here had a small telescope projecting the image on paper. This picture is a few minutes before the max point.

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram