cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nesco Electric Roaster

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
Recently, I decided to purchase a Nesco because I want more flexibility in the appliance. I'd rather an appliance that can be a slow cooker and an oven too.

Is anybody out there using a Nesco and if so, what are your favorite uses?
We cook outside almost all the time. Like using the electricity instead of all my propane. I'm particularly interested in using as an oven for baked goods -- muffins, or a couple of dinner rolls, etc.

If anyone has tips, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks, and enjoy your turkeys!
10 REPLIES 10

stevenbonie
Explorer
Explorer
Stars101 wrote:
I have done a whole turkey in one. Then the next day I put a cookie cooling rack over it, added some water, and steam re-heated the sliced turkey the next day. It stayed moist and wonderful. Probably the best turkey I ever made.

I have also used it to boil or steam large quantities of vegetables.

I've never tried it, but I have always wanted to try it as a towel warmer! LOL Nice, warm bath towels after showering. Most of those commercial towel warmers are a real disappointment, but I bet my ***Link Removed*** would be awesome.

I might buy a smaller one. JC Penney had a sale last week, I need to see if it's still ongoing.

I used the Rivo for over 3 years just for the turkey cooking on Thanksgiving day. Quit like the its slight weight and now I going to get more recipes.
best bread slicer wanting

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
I use the little 4qt., camping, for the 2 of us. Works just like the big one, on a smaller scale. Very versatile. Baked pasta type dishes are great, as well soups, stews and chili. Chickens, and other meats are moist and tender.

Nesco has a nice little cookbook to give you lots of ideas and from there, you can adapt your own recipes.

I like to take the pan out of the cook well, put the lid on the cook well and turn it all the way up, while I assemble the food in the pan. It is like preheating an oven. When hot, I quickly put the pan in and put the lid back on. I wait a couple of minutes and turn it to the desired temp.

When I do a chicken in the little one, or a turkey in the large one, I let them cook at the highest temp, on a rack, so the skin starts to brown. Then I turn the temp back.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
I have to add my story about a Nesco Roaster...

I purchased one at a yard sale about 20 years ago. It was a 1951 (? - may be off on the year by one or two) Nesco Roaster and it had the roller base on it as well. It also came with 4 metal cooking pans with it.

The lady who I bought it from had received it new as a new bride. She told me it was her only oven for about 10 years.

She also told me that once you have a turkey cooked in it you will never want one any other way.

Well I am here to tell you that she was 100% correct! That thing makes the best turkey I have ever had.

We brought it up from the basement 2 times per year since I bought it - for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is kind of ugly looking due to several moves and things but it still works great!

While we are now full timers my good old Nesco is in storage waiting for me to be done with this full timing gig. I miss it. Nothing comes close to it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
I have done a whole turkey in one. Then the next day I put a cookie cooling rack over it, added some water, and steam re-heated the sliced turkey the next day. It stayed moist and wonderful. Probably the best turkey I ever made.

I have also used it to boil or steam large quantities of vegetables.

I've never tried it, but I have always wanted to try it as a towel warmer! LOL Nice, warm bath towels after showering. Most of those commercial towel warmers are a real disappointment, but I bet my electric roaster would be awesome.

I might buy a smaller one. JC Penney had a sale last week, I need to see if it's still ongoing.

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone,

Thanks " magnus" for the link. I'll really use that.
Looking forward to putting this nesco to good use.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
We have one in the MH as well as at home. In the MH we use it for baking biscuits in the morning, baking potatoes, making gumbo, soup, etc. Just about anything you can imagine. We find it a great item to have.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Nesco dehyde that I use for making sweet potato dog treats. The device works flawlessly. Tryly a good product.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've used ours at home for everything from baked hams and potatoes to casseroles to marinara. Here's a link to their recipe search
http://www.nesco.com/recipes/
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have a couple of units that I use for slow cooking, making soups and roasting.

They are similar to this unit:

West Bend slow cooker

What I appreciate is:

they draw only 300 watts
totally adjustable heat
I can roast a large chicken with them
They fit in the kitchen sink for use while trundling down the road
The bottom heater part can be used as a warming tray (No more cold toast)

What I find a bit annoying:

When using them in the sink the temperature control knob gets HOT.
Mine has a telfon coating. I'd rather it did not.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced the crock pot with the Nesco roaster too. It also has a crock pot function. We haven't tried breads yet, but use ours for soups, baked beans and BBQ ribs.