Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodbye, my Keiss . . .

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer

Goodbye, my Keiss . . .

The long handle blended into the browns and gray hues of the desert. It was only broken by the haphazardness of the mesquite bushes that dotted the expanse beyond my window. My thoughts cried loudly within my head knowing what was below the handle. The broad edge had been thrust into the crust below it, now more than six hours before. The wind was stronger and rearranging the desert floor that had earlier been disturbed, soon to erase any signs anyone had been here.

Nothing could be shared to appease the sadness that was weighing heavily upon me this day. The years seemed to have flown by since the moment a little black whirling blur, with two pointy ears, had been carried through our door. Its excited tumbling and sliding on the wood floors pulling at everyoneโ€™s heart within.

The slight nudge of Keiss's head, against my leg, would be the tell-tale sign he had returned from his brief night stroll on this moonless night. He was invisible in the darkness and almost silent, until his nudge. The later years arrived much too soon and the infirmaries of slowing gait, confusion and night battles with unseen squirrels were racing through his dreams. The bright sparkle of his eyes filtering through the hair around his eyes, as he watched me dropping the crumbs of the finished bag of cookies into his dish. Without a doubt, anticipating the moment he could then lick them out. A pleasure he received on occasion for the many times he provided pleasure for our family.

Walking out the door of my Truck Camper, to retrieve the shovel set into the desert by me, I noticed the silver bag containing the cookie crumbs he didnโ€™t get to finish, the day he left us . . . me. I had stood over him seeing the brightness of his eyes, as we looked at each other, as the cloud euphoria cascaded through him. Within my thoughts I held strong as his inability to be able to stand up and walk beside me, these recent weeks. The nights as we struggled to find something he could swallow and eat weighed on me as much as his whines of hunger. I was feeling the weight shifting from his legs to my arms and hands as I began to hold him ever tighter and his head leaned into my arm for the final time.

A pet provides so many pleasures in life. A child provides happiness that is unfathomable. Parents and family provides the guidance and love that sustains all of us. Friends provides the comfort all of us want, without ever asking. The loss of any of this causes sadness that only time will heal. Time, please come quickly.

Goodbye my Keiss, your being here brought such great pleasure and unconditional LOVE.

b

Photo by; Sabconsulting ~ at Mormon Lake May 2014
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr
68 REPLIES 68

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
nineoaks2004 wrote:
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a loved pet ,partner and buddy is a loss that is indescribable. However he is without pain now and at rest. I have lost a few over the years and remember every one as they all earned a place in my heart and memory. Be they hunting partners, pets or a combination of both.

Thank you, Nine Oaks.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a loved pet ,partner and buddy is a loss that is indescribable. However he is without pain now and at rest. I have lost a few over the years and remember every one as they all earned a place in my heart and memory. Be they hunting partners, pets or a combination of both.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Truly become one of the family.
Sorry for your loss.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Our condolences.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
raindove wrote:
The right one will come along and bring joy to your life again. Losing them is the hardest part of having these furry companions share our lives.

The time I lost my faithful companion comes around much faster now. While the memories don't fade, I don't see him as often as I once did. I do hear those sounds, though. You must know them well too. These would be the sounds announcing that they are back from there run. Since I boondock, he would often walk himself and then announce his return with a quick, "yelp." There are still times I find myself reflexively getting up when I think I hear that sound, that yelp. But I always go to the door and open it. I am sorry I can't stop the feelings that he might be there or what it might have been that made that sound that triggered that response from me.

While getting another dog is a fact, for me. But not for now. With my Full Time travels and long periods and days away in the backcountry, from my camper, it isn't the time to get another companion. But, one day I know I will.

Miss you, my friend.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
When this day comes, November 20th, my thoughts and memories comes to a dog I had by my side for 14 years, my dog Keiss. While it has been 2 years now since I put my cherished friend to sleep, my thoughts and love have not diminished. I once wrote that time will make the grieving easier, I will say; maybe.

I am still on the road and still have not found another dog to join me with my adventures. But, my thoughts still drift to those days a little dog named; Keiss, traveled with me too.

Safe travels, all my dog friends.

b

The right one will come along and bring joy to your life again. Losing them is the hardest part of having these furry companions share our lives.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
When this day comes, November 20th, my thoughts and memories comes to a dog I had by my side for 14 years, my dog Keiss. While it has been 2 years now since I put my cherished friend to sleep, my thoughts and love have not diminished. I once wrote that time will make the grieving easier, I will say; maybe.

I am still on the road and still have not found another dog to join me with my adventures. But, my thoughts still drift to those days a little dog named; Keiss, traveled with me too.

Safe travels, all my dog friends.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the kind comments, here. I don't come back here often but when I do, it reaffirms we have kind people here and often share similar experiences.

Thanks again.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
nabi wrote:
Memories are the gift they leave behind !

Very well put nabi.

Doug

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
Memories are the gift they leave behind !

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
One year ago today, November 20th 2014, a beautiful heart stopped beating

It should not have come as a surprise, to see the concern and love expressed by all of you here. Those that commented and noted their sadness and to those that did take time to read my story (on the first page of this post) about a dog, which was important to my family and to myself. I greatly appreciate you being here.

I greatly appreciate the kind comments you have made about my own dog. What has really lifted me is the sharing many of you have done about your own dogs and pets. In many ways it just reminds me I am not by myself in my love for these creatures and for the grief I have endured these last few months.

Life will continue and those memories of Keiss, and the ones before him, will always be with me. But all you people are important to me, as well.

Thank you.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
An absolutely lovely tribute to a very much loved companion. I completely understand what your going through. The DW and I lost one of our boys back in Fed. who was our senior and he and I was so very close. The pain is as fresh at it was that cold day in Feb. that I had to make that oh so dreaded trip. I also find myself going to find him when I could swear I heard his unique voice. Not to mention I still go to the door and wait for him to come in and low and behold he isn't coming back. I truly hope your pain eases soon for you.

Doug

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Lovely tribute. May your grief subside, so you can remember the happy times with your buddy. So very sorry for your loss.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
One of the finest tributes to a beloved companion I have ever read and I am an avid reader of dog stories. The love shines through. Bryan, you have a way with the written word I admire.

While I know no other will replace Keiss in your heart, any companion you get has large paws to fill..

Lost my old Orange cat last April 27th after 24 years...I can't put the words together like you but I feel the same.

Safe travels Bryan.. Bob J.
Courage is endurance for one moment moreโ€ฆ
Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam