cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good and bad about Cougar Fifth Wheels

Margaritaville
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a 2015 Cougar 338PAT with the patio on the back. Anyone here have one ? We are wondering if we would actually use the deck or not. Also, it comes with Trailer King tires. Are those China tires? Would like to hear good or bad about this Keystone product. Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
That's the thing... Every brand, level, or model is susceptible to issues sometime. I always say, what can you really expect of a unit bouncing across the highway for miles and miles. Things happen. That said, I am not interested in paying for full-time quality to use it 12x a year, and mostly weekends to five days in a row at most. I just don't relish dragging a 36 foot bumper pull across the Midwest when a fiver could be more enjoyable.
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5โ€“/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
The primary reason to worry about quality in a Cougar is that the company is owned by Keystone!

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Kampfirekid wrote:
Id really like sell our trailer and get a fifth wheel. I have looked over fir something that fits the bill, and finally found it... a Cougar 334RDB. The storage is phenominal and the big bunks are perfect for my extremely tall son. I see no indication of "entry level" in the stanard Cougars... nsybe the hslf ton series. Now im concerned that by the time we move to a fiver, this model will be gone. Should we be concerned with quslity?

We've got a 2011, which we bought in 2010, so we've got a few years with the unit. I would call the Cougar entry level, or maybe mid-level would be a better term. There are less expensive models out there. I think the thing to know is that you wouldn't want to live in a Cougar full time. Construction is not residential grade. It is an excellent value in a vacation level trailer.

We've got 15k miles, and 83 nights of camping on ours. Just got home from a week in the Sierra mountains. A few little things are showing up. I fixed a hinge on a cabinet door that had worked loose. Our water pump high pressure shut-off is getting flaky, and I'm going to have to dig into that. These are the kind of things that can show up on any quality level of RV, so I don't say any of that to disrespect the brand. I would buy this again.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
Id really like sell our trailer and get a fifth wheel. I have looked over fir something that fits the bill, and finally found it... a Cougar 334RDB. The storage is phenominal and the big bunks are perfect for my extremely tall son. I see no indication of "entry level" in the stanard Cougars... nsybe the hslf ton series. Now im concerned that by the time we move to a fiver, this model will be gone. Should we be concerned with quslity?
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5โ€“/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2010 Cougar has been pretty trouble free since we bought it new... A blown front leg fuse caused by service dept raising the legs too high, and a blown fuse in the converter found on first trip that prevented batteries charging when using plugin power; service dept also replaced, and we've had no issues since then (knock on wood). Overall, we've been very happy with our unit.
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Just in case you missed THIS recent post by a Cougar owner.

Best Wishes!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

pbar34
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone who calls this an entry level trailer has never had an entry level trailer... LOL Depends who you talk to but the Cougars are generally mid level in my experience. That looks like a great model. We've been happy with ours for 10 years now.

Nice tour of the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxIFjW75MAU

Phil
2005 Cougar 275EFS
2007 Chevy CC, D/A LBZ

GPG52_
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2014 Cougar 327 RES this spring. DW calls it her apartment on wheels. All is good as we have an excellent dealer standing behind the product. Much has been said about the front nose cap fading which is what happed to our... out dealer agreed to put a full new nose cap, decals and lights under warranty. We also had the electronic remote/push button board go and the dealer immediately replaced under warranty. Tow's great. Love it so far. GPG
GPG ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

Pholman90
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said... so far we love it.. Can't wait for next summer. We have had so many people stop and ask if the could check it out while we were camping.
"This is how we roll"

Margaritaville
Explorer
Explorer
Pholman, thanks for responding. I was starting to wonder if anyone bought one of these 338Pat.
Glad to hear you love it. No big issues with it? I have to say the interior is great!

bmet2000
Explorer
Explorer
When we looked at them and my wife saw the bed was on a slide and had "Cougar" carved into the wood right over the bed... She said No Way!

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Cougar is a typical entry level trailer.

Someone else may have made that statement earlier in the thread and I have to disagree. My Springdale is entry level! It has been money well spent though and it is serving my DW and I well. We camp 12 months out of the year, have used it at least once a month since purchasing just over 2 years ago, holding up well.

Don't know what we'll buy next but the Cougar line is on our short list. A definite step up from entry level.
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

Pholman90
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought our 338PAT three weeks ago. Love it!!! We love the patio. Nice for my dogs to sit out there. Nice place to enjoy coffee in the morning. My husband big football fan. Loves sitting out there watching the games. We actually use the side door as a main entrance to kick off the shoes and we feed out dogs out there.
"This is how we roll"

Margaritaville
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone !! We have decided to pass on it. Just don't know that we would use the deck much. Appreciate all your thoughts.