Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C Slide Out Leak

beverlto
Explorer
Explorer
Hello:

We own a 2006 Winnebago Outlook Class C. Back in June, our living room slide out developed a leak at the front edge which soaks the carpet in that corner whenever it rains. I've checked all the seals and they seem to be in good shape. I live in the camper full time, and had no trouble all the way through a wet, windy Oregon winter, last year.

The leak seems to be isolated to the top front corner of the slide out. After checking seals and finding no wearing, rotting or gaps, I sprayed water on the suspected leaky area and sure enough, it somehow got in. The rest of the unit was dry, so I don't think water is migrating from somewhere higher up on the roof.

Money is tight, so I'm trying hard to avoid taking it to a shop. Plus, it is turning into a personal mission to fix the thing. With the seals seemingly in good shape and the lip on the outer seal angled outward correctly, are there other things I should look at?
Tom B.
"If you do not change directions, you will end up where you are going." - Chinese proverb
3 REPLIES 3

beverlto
Explorer
Explorer
I never closed out this conversation. I finally found one corner on the front outer edge of the slide that seemed to be the culprit. Any time water was present on that corner, there was a leak inside. I used the recommended sealants purchased from Camping World, but even though I sealed the full length and width of the slide, water still got in if it reached that front corner. I finally replaced the slide-out topper, which worked for one season until it developed pinhole leaks again, due to wind. Right now, I'm using a workaround - a length of vinyl gutter from Home Depot. That prevents water from getting onto the slide out roof. No more leak as long as the gutter is in place.
Tom B.
"If you do not change directions, you will end up where you are going." - Chinese proverb

beverlto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for reading and offering the suggestion. The caulking seems to be okay, but I also found some issues with the "gutter" around the top of the roof, especially above the slide. Both ends of the gutter are blocked with caulk, and screws that hold the slide topper in place block the thing from draining properly. Isn't it supposed to be open at both ends so it drains water away, like eaves troughs on a house? I haven't seen this before with three other campers we've owned.
Tom B.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Check on top of the slide and along the edges. We found a water leak cause by not being caulked properly in the corner where the roof came over.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot