cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to me Kodiak VXL 2200-PICS ADDED

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we are back in the RV world. Previously owned a nice Arctic Fox Truck Camper. Had some career moves that necessitated selling it and my F350. I loved it, but the wife had some issues, mainly with the height and the high step in and out out of the TC (plus the loading and unloading).

We finally decided to jump back in, now with a B+. Found a good deal (to us) on a 2006 Kodiak by Vanguard VXL 2200. 22 foot, Ford v10, single slide.

time to start the customizing- first is LED lights inside. It only has a single coach battery, probably look for an AGM set up that will fit. Maybe some solar, definitely a back up camera. Let the fun begin!!

I'll post some pics and update my profiles.

Like to hear from other Kodiak owners and what they have done with theirs.
21 REPLIES 21

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Nick, buying used can be a **** shoot. Sometimes you get lucky and everything falls into place. Sometimes, you drive 2 hours to look at something you are excited about and it turns out to be a piece of junk. Every situation has its own story. The Canada thing may be legit, it just their circumstances.

My generator is finicky too. If it hasn't been run in awhile, it takes a bit of cranking to get it going. Once it goes, its fine but the AC load when it cycles causes it to trip off. The generator is noisy in the RV and vibrates. I really don't bother with it. I try to find an RV park with shore power if I need AC.

The manuals aren't really worth much for information. Its really a mix of vendor accessories like the stove, generator, fridge, etc. The main Vanguard one is kind of worthless. I'd ask them to send it to you if you reach a purchase agreement. Not a deal breaker.

I bought mine on my intuition from my visual inspection and test drive. A big part was confidence in the seller that you trust them. My sellers were elderly who bought it new. If your sellers look suspicious, don't be afraid to walk away. There are plenty of RV's for sale out there.

resucami
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies. I've been talking to the woman who owns the vehicle. The lady is not easy to understand; she had severe surgery recently and is still recovering. I will look at the vehicle tomorrow afternoon (it's a two hour drive but I have to go there for another reason anyway).

I got a Carfax VIN report for the vehicle and it turns out that the vehicle was registered in Canada until 2016. The seller says that it was originally owned by her sister in Canada - allegedly the vehicle was always owned by members of just one family. According to the VIN report the vehicle had four owners so far; three in Canada and one (since 03/2016) in Arizona.

If I understood the lady correctly, all manuals and documentation for the vehicle are with some relative in California right now. That does not make me happy. Whenever I was talking to someone else about an RV before it was clear that manual and maintenance documentation were in the vehicle. I tried to find a manual online but was not successful - these vehicles are just too rare, I think.

I also asked her to have the vehicle connected to shore power when I'm coming and ready to have the generator running and she told me that the generator "might need a tune up." That also does not make me happy. Isn't it true that generator "tune ups" can be very expensive?

I doubt that I will be able to have the vehicle checked from an RV shop. I will have to go with my 15 page checklist, my intelligence, and my intuition. I will go there with money in my pocket, but I am also ready to walk away again.

If you have any more input or tips for me - please let me know. Thanks.

Nick

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
resucami wrote:
Hello Fish Mojo and John & Angela. Do you still have your Kodiak RV's? I am about to look at one this week. It's a 2003 Kodiak 2200 VXL on an E350 chassis with 83,000 miles. Do you have any tips what to ask and check in particular for such a vehicle? That would be great!

Still have mine, doing fine. We have put probably 40k miles on ours since we got it 3 years ago. Great traveling rig. I also use mine to tow my 20 foot boat for combined fishing and camping trips. Nothing to unusual outside normal wear and tear. We have had an alternator go out, changed the tires, and on the camper side, the shore power transfer switch went out (self-repaired). I'd recommend if you like the rig and drivability and are ready to make an offer, get into a reputable shop (NOT CAMPING WORLD) for a check out.
Good luck!

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
resucami wrote:
Hello Fish Mojo and John & Angela. Do you still have your Kodiak RV's? I am about to look at one this week. It's a 2003 Kodiak 2200 VXL on an E350 chassis with 83,000 miles. Do you have any tips what to ask and check in particular for such a vehicle? That would be great!

Hello rescami. Ours served us well for many years but we have since sold it. We bought it to travel through Mexico, we did that for 5 years and now someone else is enjoying it. We had no problems with it and it had 183,000 ish kilometers in it when we sold it. We had to replace the floor in the kitchen area but that was easy. If you h ave any specific questions let me know.

John and Angela
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

resucami
Explorer
Explorer

westernkitty
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new trailer.

My husband and I have had our KODIAK VXL2200SL since 2006, it is a great little camper for the two of us. I really like the one picture of the KODIAK with the decals removed and painted flat white, I think this maybe something we will need to do, she is looking pretty faded these days.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see the pics. The inside looks a lot like our Itasca minus the cab over bed and plus the slide out for the couch. Ours is a perfect size for us. Have fun!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a very nice and easy driveable B+
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Fish mojo wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Great to hear. We were in Bryce and Zion about the Saale time. Super incredible parks.

Happy travels.

do you have a cover for your Kodiak?

No but I believe Adco (spelling) does. Let me know how it goes.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Great to hear. We were in Bryce and Zion about the Saale time. Super incredible parks.

Happy travels.

do you have a cover for your Kodiak?

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer

Happy travels.

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
So, we just return from a 2 week, 3000 miles, 6 National Parks (Could have been 7, but we drove right past Great Basin in Nevada) and had a Fantastic trip. Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Off-roading (not with the RV) in Moab, Natural Bridges, Lake Powell, North Rim Grand Canyon.

Kodiak ran flawlessly and was very comfortable and easy to drive and get through the parks. Overall MPG 10.9 for the trip. Very Happy!!

Now, need to think about an RV cover to protect it for the off season. In Northern Cali, so lots of sun, but lots of rain potential (hopeful, we need it). Everything I see sized is either for a full C or a Camper Van B. Any recommendations (other than expensive custom).

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we have limited experience towing with ours. We towed a 4500 pound Jeep Grand Cherokee maybe 800 miles. It was fine, still had lots of Jam in the hills. We have also pulled a couple 2800 pound trailers with no trouble. The short wheelbase makes it feel a little squirelly but after a while you get used to it. Keep it under 95KPH and it feels fine. You will have no problem with power. Check to see that the hitch is rated for what you want to tow, otherwise take it to a hitch shop (not an RV dealer as they usually don't do custom hitch installs) and have it modified or replaced.

Good luck and safe travels.

fbn_ent
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a 2001 XVL2000. I want to pull a tandem enclosed trailer with 3500# weight to someplace with no snow occasionally. Good unit for this purpose? Gas mileage with it?? I like the unit as it is smaller. Thanks